• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ok, what about top three female rock vocalists?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Somehow we all forgot about Whitney Houston
I think that's two steps too far away from "rock" to qualify. But an excellent and distinctive singer that operated in the pop /RnB arena for sure

OP
Oldasdrt

Oldasdrt

The other surprise is the little young woman playing the big bass: Tal Wilkenfeld. She must have been 23 back then.

She does also sing (but not what I would consider as rock):

Good on the bass too,not bad looking either

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Absolutely! I had her on my list too but perhaps not quite top three. Depends on mood of course ... ;-)

Which reminds me of another of my absolute fafourites: Satomi Matsuzaki of Deerhoof.
One of my favorite bands and one of the inspirations for my own current project. It was thinking of them yesterday that reminded me of Melt Banana.

Deerhoof is the genius marriage of prog and new wave. All the best aspects of prog with all its bad parts replaced with the best of new wave.

And a song that I often sing. Dogs on sidewalks is my life.

OP
Oldasdrt

Oldasdrt

One of my favorite bands and one of the inspirations for my own current project. It was thinking of them yesterday that reminded me of Melt Banana.

Deerhoof is the genius marriage of prog and new wave. All the best aspects of prog with all its bad parts replaced with the best of new wave.

And a song that I often sing. Dogs on sidewalks is my life.

Looks like one of my dogs,:):):):),seriously

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Deerhoof is the genius marriage of prog and new wave
That's one way to put it! I don't think I could put any label on Deerhoof that wouldn't be wide of the mark on the next track - which is always the sign of interesting music. They are just a very very great band that always put a smile on my face. To think they (and Melt-Banana for that matter) have been going for close to three decades ... I'm getting old ;-(

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Which reminds me, why have I (or anyone else) not mentioned Læticia Sadier or the dear departed Mary Hansen of Stereolab? The best rock band of the nineties bar none (so there!)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. Linda Ronstadt
2. Ann Wilson
3. Janis Joplin

if it were a top 5, I'd include Grace Slick and Stevie Nicks.

dorirod

Definitely Janis Joplin (first name to pop up to mind) and Stevie Nicks, but lately I've been enjoying Miley Cyrus' change in direction. I wish she would tone down the whinyness/pretension in her voice as she could be one of the top female rock vocals.

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can't argue with some of the top 3 lists in previous posts, but for something a little different - Giusy Ferreri. The looks! That deliciously raspy overpowering voice! And no, I will not list "La Isla" her joint video with Elettra Lamborghini, nor the latter's Pem Pem music video.

Stai Fermo Li

Come un'Ora fa

Aria di vita

Rossi papaveri

Il mare verticale

Il party

Reactions: ADU

MinMan

May I humbly suggest votes for these rock songwriters musicians / vocalists?
Patty Griffin (vocals & guitar):
and/or
Garbage's Shirley Manson:
Kate Bush:
Sarah McLaughlin:
and/or
Laurie Anderson's voice capably covers many octaves:
Hooverphonic's Geike Arnaert:

Last edited:

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
If you are talking exclusively rock I would have to exclude Linda Ronstadt and Carly Simon because they do so much of outside of the rock genre.

Then my list would be in order:
Pat Benatar
Ann Wilson
Stevie Nicks

I have listened to all the five above mentioned over the years except Carly Simon.

I have listened to all three on my rock only list in the last few years and I have to say Pat Benatar’s voice has aged the best.

I have another concert by her next week and I am very excited!
I attended Pat Benatar’s concert at the Meijer Gardens last night and I can still stand by my previous comments about her voice aging the best of my favorite three.

No, she doesn’t sound like the 26 year from her first album but she still has it.

She did dye her hair though so she looks more like her friend Debbie Harry.

Martin Takamine

Performances of my aforementioned.

Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac

Amy Lee of Evanescence

Taylor Momsen of The Pretty Reckless

Top Bottom