• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OK this is interesting: Sonos Play gen 1 vs KEF LS50 wireless 2

TSX

41F34496-5207-4852-A08B-2CF63A46D4B0.jpeg

On Roon you can chance output device almost instantaneously and set volume on each device differently. I might be going totally “hifi” deaf, but there’s no big difference in sound except soundstage, where the KEF’s has an obvious wider soundstage. But overall there next to no audible difference. Not even the bass. Actually I just wanted to switch back to the Sonos, to listen how the much more expensive KEF’s would cope with bass, but I was already listening to the Sonos! I was not expecting this.

Thanks

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
That screams for measurements.

Cool experiment though!

OP
TSX

TSX

I don’t have the skills or knowledge to do this in a professional way, but I see myself as a seasoned music listener. It’s very obvious that the difference in sound is only audible with AB testing. Coming back after five minutes and listening to the same tracks makes them music sound they same. Again. I was not expecting this. My room is treated and speakers and listening position is placed at optimal position.

Thanks

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I own an old version Play 1 as well as LS50. I can’t say they sound very much the same. 9 cm closed woofer vs 13 cm reflex will make for quite a bit more extension for the LS50.

OP
TSX

TSX

I own an old version Play 1 as well as LS50. I can’t say they sound very much the same. 9 cm closed woofer vs 13 cm reflex will make for quite a bit more extension for the LS50.
Maybe in theory, but not in practical use. At least not here.

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
By practical use, do you mean by casual listening without measurement or blind testing? If so, lash yourself to the mast to survive the approaching storm of objectivity... I'm just sayin'. Practical seems like a more appropriate adjective to @voodooless statement of the difference in physical capability of the woofer. It seems like you're presenting the "theory" based upon your personal opinion... like I said... I'd tighten the lashes. However, the fact that you've found a source of enjoyment and satisfaction derived from value... regardless... Carpe Diem.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You think you can defy physics? The Sonos will do about 81dB maximum at 50 Hz. The Kef will do 5 to 6 dB more, and I haven’t even accounted for reflex tuning.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What materials did you use in your comparison? Quoting Dr Toole in this post:

I would argue that it is more important to choose the program carefully in order to be able to easily hear defects. Simple recordings, including solo voices and instruments are excellent demonstration material but poor test material. They easily impress, but are simply not very revealing. One needs more complexity, wide bandwidth, preferably including reverberation to be able to hear subtle problems. Section 3.5.1.7 "Choosing Program Material" in the 3rd edition explains. See also: Olive, S.E. (1994). “A Method for Training Listeners and Selecting Program Material for Listening Tests”, Audio Eng. Soc. 97th Convention, preprint 3893.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did this with HomePods and the KEF LS50W.

I find it very hard to imagine they don’t sound different immediately. Perhaps because I was sitting closer.

The truth for me having used the HomePod Pair for a few weeks and switching back to the KEF, the KEF underwhelmed me.

It sounded lean and distant.

As I listened more to the KEF I realized the difference. It’s not as powerful but it is far more detailed. It presents a soundstage where each instrument has its own space and its own level.

The HomePod images reasonably but it’s purpose is to pump out sound into the room.

In climbing the “audiophile” ladder I’ve realized the systems we like are not for everyone.

Most people want something that fills the room with sound. Sonos, Marshall, JBL partybox etc. Most people would be just fine with one of those.

Not us. We allow for the main limitation of stereo. There is only ONE sweetspot. If you sit in the sweetspot you will hear every instrument in proportion to other instruments each in their own space and with clear separation and location. We want bass to be accurate and to hear every note of a bass guitar. Most people just want that thing to boom.

Most people won’t sit in the sweet spot.

If you won’t accept that limitation of high end stereo setup then may as well just get a pair of Sonos. For walking around and listening those systems are better honestly.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi welcome.

This might help to understand why this forum does not value claims based on subjective and sighted listening.

That is not to say that you don’t enjoy one of your speakers over the other. But it simply can not be generalized for everyone else (personal preference vs objectively better)

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
View attachment 236200
On Roon you can chance output device almost instantaneously and set volume on each device differently. I might be going totally “hifi” deaf, but there’s no big difference in sound except soundstage, where the KEF’s has an obvious wider soundstage. But overall there next to no audible difference. Not even the bass. Actually I just wanted to switch back to the Sonos, to listen how the much more expensive KEF’s would cope with bass, but I was already listening to the Sonos! I was not expecting this.

Thanks

Cool experiment. Would it make a difference if you were listening in mono? ie. would it make it easier to discern a change?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
The photo suggests that you had both pairs in the room at one time. That's not a good test, because each speaker drives the other's cabinet/drivers. You are listening to a hybrid loudspeaker made up of the two speakers.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The photo suggests that you had both pairs in the room at one time. That's not a good test, because each speaker drives the other's cabinet/drivers. You are listening to a hybrid loudspeaker made up of the two speakers.
It may not be ideal, but is probably better than the alternative. A fast changeover,is necessary for accurate comparison as our memory for such things is short: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echoic_memory
I suppose you could make something like the old movie/cartoon 'revolving fireplace' to swap them fast enough, but that's going to take some real dedication from an individual.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you won’t accept that limitation of high end stereo setup then may as well just get a pair of Sonos. For walking around and listening those systems are better honestly.
Well said and explained the meaning of Hi-Fi in a nut-shelf.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi welcome.

This might help to understand why this forum does not value claims based on subjective and sighted listening.

That is not to say that you don’t enjoy one of your speakers over the other. But it simply can not be generalized for everyone else (personal preference vs objectively better)
I don't think this is a helpful response. I have never seen written anywhere as a rule that this forum does not value sighted listening. Amir does sighted listening in all his loudspeaker and headphone reviews. I am a member of this forum since 2016 and I value sighted listening reports.

There is a huge difference between reporting an experience or preference, which is what the OP did here, and making generalizing claims ("Sonos is as good as kef"), which he did NOT do. In this case the OPs experience went in an opposite direction of his expectation. That's interestint, at least. I, for one, am not super surprised by this. The Sonos are fairly good speakers, and they do psychoacoustic tricks in the bass to make the bass sound fuller. Differences between good enough speakers are often not that dramatic. This finding is in line with many preference studies, where differences in preference between good loudapeakers are seldom enormous.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It may not be ideal, but is probably better than the alternative. A fast changeover,is necessary for accurate comparison as our memory for such things is short: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echoic_memory
I suppose you could make something like the old movie/cartoon 'revolving fireplace' to swap them fast enough, but that's going to take some real dedication from an individual.
But that's academic, since, even blind with instant ABX switching, this is an invalid test.

There used to be a loudspeaker based on a two-driver small box, coupled to a larger, empty box. The empty box was used to "add body", and certainly, the small box was considered to sound "anemic" without it's passive resonator.

In this layout, the Sonos will be receiving a significant boost from the Kef. The Kef will not get much of a boost from the Sonos. This is a comparison between a super-boosted Sonos and. Kef.

BTW, I have a Sonos 1, and I love it. If I stand it on soft furnishing it sounds great, if I stand it on a large wooden cabinet, it sounds a lot beefier!

Top Bottom