• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OK - need a DAC & AMP for 6xx's

I just got my first serious new headphones - 6xx.

I am currently connecting them directly to the motherboard - the sound is amazing!

But I'm sure an external DAC and amplifier will give me a lot more.

I considered purchasing the Schiit Modius + Asgard 3. The final price came out to me at around 700$ total after shipping and taxes and FedEx robbery fees.
It sounds like too much, given the fact that the headphones cost me $ 300 after shipping, commissions, and taxation to Israel.

The second option is Modi + Magni 3 stack, but the problem is that Modi is expected to ship 6-8 weeks after ordering.
The price of this stack after taxation and shipping is approximately 395$ total.

Modius + Asgard 3 in stock ready to ship.
Modi + Magni - 6-8 weeks to wait.

The difference is $ 300.

I'm a buy once, cry once type of person but still ... $ 300 difference - will the value for money be so significant in terms of quality, reliability, and improvement in sound?

help me make the right decision as always;

appreciate all of you,
Boris

Transmaniacon

You could get the Topping DX3 Pro+ which is $200, and has plenty of power for the HD6XX and an excellent DAC. The JDS Labs Atom stack also measures incredibly well and might be comparable in price to the Modi/Magni.

Roland68

Major Contributor
You could also take a Topping E30 and a Sabaj A10H for a cheap combo. Or the very powerful SMSL SH-9.
There may also be devices from the ASR leaderboard that are easy and inexpensive to obtain.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping DX3 Pro+ is an excellent choice. If you are considering (or think you might consider) adding powered monitor speakers to the setup, I would spend a little more on a unit (or stack) that offers balanced pre-amp output (NB. Not the same as balanced headphone output). A balanced output will remove (or at least greatly reduce) the likelihood of suffering from ground loop noise (this is why I 'sidegraded' from the x50s stack to EX5 in my desktop setup).

gvl

Major Contributor
I highly recommend to take advantage of the current discount on TCA HPA-10 while supplies last. It really makes my 6XXs sing. Pair it with a Topping D10s. You won’t be disappointed if this combo satisfies your needs in features.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
OP, which mo/bo with what kind of sound chip do you have? If it's something half-decent, chances are that it'll be perfectly fine in terms of D/A (assuming you do not insist on direct DSD decoding or sample rates beyond 192 kHz, both of which are far from essential), and the only part that's really worth it is an amplifier for higher output level and near-zero output impedance. (Unless you have a fancy sound chip, chances are you're looking at about 1.1 Vrms and 75 ohms, respectively.) Look at the usual suspects, Schiit Magni Heresy, JDS Labs Atom Amp+, Topping L30, making sure you get the 230 V version.

OP
Bling Guy McSqueezy
Hello dear friend.
My mobo is asus tuf x570 wifi

I got the 6xx today.
Don't know, maybe Modius + Asgard 3 and go balanced?

Top Bottom