• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Oh no, Audio-gd is bad... (looking for suggestions)

junki

Hi all,

I'm new here, and I've been perusing the measurements here, and they're wonderful. Ever since running into Ken Rockwell's iPhone DAC measurements many moons ago, I wondered why the audio community doesn't measure source equipment as often as they do headphones...

Anyway, I've been using the NFB-11.28 DAC/AMP for a long time, and your measurements for the 27.38 have got me worried. I was wondering if any of you have a recommendation for something I can use to replace this unit with. Up until now, I've been satisfied with this unit because I can toggle its output between the AMP and the line-out which is hooked up to my powered desktop speakers, so something that can duplicate this functionality would be great. Unfortunately, the DX7's 10 ohm headphone output impedance is too high ... :(

Or, is it the case that all these variations are inaudible anyway, and I should just go about my day without a worry? Ha ha... ha...

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hi all,

I'm new here, and I've been perusing the measurements here, and they're wonderful. Ever since running into Ken Rockwell's iPhone DAC measurements many moons ago, I wondered why the audio community doesn't measure source equipment as often as they do headphones...

Anyway, I've been using the NFB-11.28 DAC/AMP for a long time, and your measurements for the 27.38 have got me worried. I was wondering if any of you have a recommendation for something I can use to replace this unit with. Up until now, I've been satisfied with this unit because I can toggle its output between the AMP and the line-out which is hooked up to my powered desktop speakers, so something that can duplicate this functionality would be great. Unfortunately, the DX7's 10 ohm headphone output impedance is too high ... :(

Or, is it the case that all these variations are inaudible anyway, and I should just go about my day without a worry? Ha ha... ha...

Probably the last-line comment until disproven. :eek:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Up until now, I've been satisfied with this unit

Sounds to me like that would be the best approach also. Some day when it blows up or you need something with more current features you can worry about it. ;)

Sythrix

I would start a conversation with Amir and see if anyone else is sending in this unit and if he would measure yours soon.

Then go peruse his master list and find something serviceable. Or just buy something cheap tentatively off Amazon until it gets back.

But that's just what I would do, because I have to know...

no1boss

My NFB-11 stopped working after two years of use, it would turn on/off intermittently and then ~poof.. if I pressed the back and front it would work for a short period. After taking a look inside I noticed that some of the restitors had come loose and several of the parts looked real dirty.

So, not buying Audio-gd again that's for sure.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My NFB-11 stopped working after two years of use, it would turn on/off intermittently and then ~poof.. if I pressed the back and front it would work for a short period. After taking a look inside I noticed that some of the restitors had come loose and several of the parts looked real dirty.

So, not buying Audio-gd again that's for sure.
If you are in US, do you want to send it to me and I can see if I can repair it? I am not holding hope after looking inside the one I reviewed (millions of components in there). But if you have no use for it, it may be worthwhile to send it over in the odd chance that I can repair it. And at any rate, I can do a tear down of it.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

no1boss

If you are in US, do you want to send it to me and I can see if I can repair it? I am not holding hope after looking inside the one I reviewed (millions of components in there). But if you have no use for it, it may be worthwhile to send it over in the odd chance that I can repair it. And at any rate, I can do a tear down of it.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)
Thanks!

The unit does have a 10 year (?) warranty so I will probably return it for repairs at some point, I would only pay the shipping (to China) cost.

Here's the innards:

Oh, I'm from Sweden :)

TungstenC

0276609B-F25B-4395-AEB1-1B8B06CBC812.jpeg

That’s one unhealthy looking cap...

Last edited:

spiritofjerry

Thanks!

The unit does have a 10 year (?) warranty so I will probably return it for repairs at some point, I would only pay the shipping (to China) cost.

Here's the innards:

Oh, I'm from Sweden :)

That almost looks as if something was spilled inside. You can see a syrupy brown substance on some of the clocks and other components, too. I'm not saying you specifically spilled something in there, but I doubt most warranties would cover this type of destruction.

Top Bottom