• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Official THX Measurements of the Massdrop x THX AAA 789

Sythrix

Just received this mail from Massdrop:

"We’re happy to announce that your Massdrop x THX AAA 789 Linear Amplifiers have arrived at our warehouse and we’ll be shipping them about two weeks ahead of schedule! You should receive your tracking information by the end of next week (week of 10/19). We’re excited for you to receive your amps!"

Sounds like you'll have even more to do soon Amir! ;)

Although, now that you've told me how uncertain and ambiguous regular amp (non-DAC) measurements can be, I'm a little worried. Do you have any plans for how you're going to continue measuring amps?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sounds like you'll have even more to do soon Amir! ;)

Although, now that you've told me how uncertain and ambiguous regular amp (non-DAC) measurements can be, I'm a little worried. Do you have any plans for how you're going to continue measuring amps?
There aren't that problematic. We can still good data as far as amount of output power and such.

Veri

Master Contributor
Monoprice's THX amp again pushed back a month....

View attachment 16380

And again pushed back some three weeks since yesterday :oops::oops::oops:

Screenshot at Oct 12 10-47-00.png

I'm starting to lose faith in this product honestly. Is it still being designed??

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Can't wait to see the measurements of, quote:

The World’s Most Linear Amplifier

rajapruk

Forum Donor
A comparison with the new Benchmark THX AAA headphone amp would be very interesting @amirm!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A comparison with the Benchmark THX AAA headphone amp would be very interesting @amirm!
That's the plan. Benchmark has been kind enough to say they will loan theirs to me.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
That's the plan. Benchmark has been kind enough to say they will loan theirs to me.
"Theirs" haha. I guess it is not a lemon produced on a early monday morning then :)

If the Massdrop one lives up to the specs, I want this t-shirt:
0.000007%
Group buy? :)

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have high hopes for this THX amp. I am eagerly waiting for a pair of them!
The designer is very responsive and honest, and so far the only thing that disgruntled me (just a bit) is the fact that the input stage is limited to 19dBu.
For the price it looks like a bargain, and the best possible speaker amp for 16 ohms or 32 ohms compression drivers :)

bunkbail

Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Veri

Master Contributor
Yes that is just the amp, I think I would be correct in saying its lower distortion and noise than any DAC Amir has tested so should be pretty transparent to whatever is feeding it. I have had very encouraging subjective feedback from those that have heard the prototype.

DAC plot

View attachment 16227

Hey March Audio one question about the DAC plot which looks really excellent. Around what chip is it based? Or is it FPGA?

Thanks :D Can't wait for that amp of yours to be finalized. Looks world-class.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hey March Audio one question about the DAC plot which looks really excellent. Around what chip is it based? Or is it FPGA?

Thanks :D Can't wait for that amp of yours to be finalized. Looks world-class.
Hi

It's es9038 based. The first batch of DACs will be available in a few weeks. Enclosure samples have arrived.

I have been delayed with the headphone amp but will concentrate on that once the DACs are out in the wild.

3.jpg
IMG_20181017_194616.jpg

Last edited:

pos

Forum Donor
Is it the mobile version?
How does it fare regarding the (in)famous "ESS hump"?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Is it the mobile version?
How does it fare regarding the (in)famous "ESS hump"?
Yes mobile, yes same hump.

I will be working on a balanced output version next and actively looking to eliminate it in that version. However that's a good 6 months away. :)

Regardless, the subjective feedback from those that have heard the dac has been extremely positive.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yes mobile, yes same hump.

I will be working on a balanced output version next and actively looking to eliminate it in that version. However that's a good 6 months away. :)

Regardless. The subjective feedback from those that have heard the dac has been extremely positive.
Giving Keith a run for the title of barrowmaster :D

Top Bottom