• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Off the beaten track stops for music fans

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please post recommended places to stop if you happen to be in the area (not so much travel destinations like Graceland).

I'll start with Maine Country Music hall of Fame, which is not far off a route I frequently drive, and yet I only visited a few tears ago. What a cool place. I was lucky enough to have been led through there by Slim Andrews, who sadly has passed on since then. Also, there is a country dance hall next door, The Silver Spur. I would like to go there some night but haven't made it yet. So I know it might almost sound like a joke to some, but this is a cool stop if you are in the area.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please post recommended places to stop if you happen to be in the area (not so much travel destinations like Graceland).

I'll start with Maine Country Music hall of Fame, which is not far off a route I frequently drive, and yet I only visited a few tears ago. What a cool place. I was lucky enough to have been led through there by Slim Andrews, who sadly has passed on since then. Also, there is a country dance hall next door, The Silver Spur. I would like to go there some night but haven't made it yet. So I know it might almost sound like a joke to some, but this is a cool stop if you are in the area.

If you ever find yourselves in Liverpool - then the Beatles Museum...

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't hit the official Peter Tosh shrine when I was in this area, but some other guy dedicated his modest property to Peter Tosh so there must be many Peter Tosh shrines

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have seen Lez Zeppelin here in NH (not so great). Is Letz Zep worthy of playing the Picturedrome?
I've seen Letz Zep a couple of times at the 'drome, great stuff. Saw Walter Trout there last Friday. Top venue that's 'off the beaten track'.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
The Marley Resort in Bahamas was a fun place to stay. We even met Rita and Cadella there one evening.

...But a quick google search makes it look like maybe it closed?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have seen Lez Zeppelin here in NH (not so great). Is Letz Zep worthy of playing the Picturedrome?
They were recently (or are soon) at the Flying Monkey in Plymouth, IIRC(?).

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They were recently (or are soon) at the Flying Monkey in Plymouth, IIRC(?).
I don't see it on their (lezzeppelin.com) web site but they are still playing around the east coast. Disn't know they were still making a go of it. I think it was more than 10 yrs ago I saw them.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I don't see it on their (lezzeppelin.com) web site but they are still playing around the east coast. Disn't know they were still making a go of it. I think it was more than 10 yrs ago I saw them.
It might've been in Vermont -- I heard the name on the radio, I think, last week and I was amused by it.

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will be visiting New Orleans this coming week. Not necessarily off the beaten track, but does anyone have music-related recommendations for things to see? Besides taking in live music, which will be our main activity (along with eating).

The A Closer Walk project seems to have some good walking tours. These look like they are self-guided which is fine with me.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Will be visiting New Orleans this coming week. Not necessarily off the beaten track, but does anyone have music-related recommendations for things to see? Besides taking in live music, which will be our main activity (along with eating).

The A Closer Walk project seems to have some good walking tours. These look like they are self-guided which is fine with me.

The second line parades tend to be on Sundays. Looks like today and Dec 10 are both in play if you'll be there one of those days.

Off Beat still has the most comprehensive live music listings. https://calendar.offbeat.com/calendars/all-events

Personally, I'd aim for Soul Rebels at Le Bon Temps and Jon Cleary at Zony Mash!

Enjoy and let us know what you get up to.

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The second line parades tend to be on Sundays. Looks like today and Dec 10 are both in play if you'll be there one of those days.

Off Beat still has the most comprehensive live music listings. https://calendar.offbeat.com/calendars/all-events

Personally, I'd aim for Soul Rebels at Le Bon Temps and Jon Cleary at Zony Mash!

Thanks! I had not found that calendar. We are there just Tuesday to Friday. The plan was to see New Orleans music but then I saw the Wood Brothers happened to be playing at Tipitina's so I got tickets to that. Don't see Jon Cleary playing during our short stay but Soul Rebels Thursday looks like a great call!

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We had a really great time. Lots of live music, but Delfeayo Marsalis orchestra performance at Snug Harbor really stood out and above all the rest. There is a clip from the show on the Tonya Boyd-Cannon facebook page.

We did a lot of walking. The Fats Domino and Dave Bartholomew exhibit at the jazz museum was cool. The old J&M building had some stuff on display behind laundry machines. Just having lunch outdoors in Dec listening to live music was great!

Last edited:

GD Fan

Forum Donor
We had a really great time. Lots of live music, but Delfeayo Marsalis orchestra performance at Snug Harbor really stood out and above all the rest. There is a clip from the show on the Tonya Boyd-Cannon facebook page.

We did a lot of walking. The Fats Domino and Dave Bartholomew exhibit at the jazz museum was cool. The old J&M building had some stuff on display behind laundry machines. Just having lunch outdoors in Dec listening to live music was great!
Snug Harbor is a great spot. We were lucky to see Ellis Marsalis there a couple of times.

Top Bottom