• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Of Audiophiles and Snake Oil - A story in the making

digicidal

Major Contributor
I likes me some horribly distorted noises myself from time to time. I also paint and know what you mean. My point, at least for myself, is that obsessively pursuing the "absolute sound" via recordings is a losing game.

Yes, I would definitely agree - even the best can only be a mediocre analog (in both senses). However, I do understand the compulsiveness that "gear" (of any kind) has with some people. I guess I'm lucky that I have enough of them that they cancel each other out and make me seem more normal. I mean I could have a six-figure hifi in a dedicated room... but then I'd have to drive a Corolla. I could have a McLaren 720s Spider, but then I'd have to live in an apartment. I could probably do both if I was single... but then life itself would lose purpose IMO. Or I could just paint all day long and likely not have a wife, house, car, hifi, or maybe even pants. :p

I think obsessions (controlled ones at least), like many goals are fine - if you actually could have/do/be everything you dream of... what keeps you going then? As long as it isn't too all consuming, it can even be constructive in leading you to either appreciate what you are able to achieve in that area - or at least give you something to aspire to in the future. Although maybe that's just romanticizing my own irrationality in order to justify persisting in it. :facepalm:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yes, I would definitely agree - even the best can only be a mediocre analog (in both senses). However, I do understand the compulsiveness that "gear" (of any kind) has with some people. I guess I'm lucky that I have enough of them that they cancel each other out and make me seem more normal. I mean I could have a six-figure hifi in a dedicated room... but then I'd have to drive a Corolla. I could have a McLaren 720s Spider, but then I'd have to live in an apartment. I could probably do both if I was single... but then life itself would lose purpose IMO. Or I could just paint all day long and likely not have a wife, house, car, hifi, or maybe even pants. :p

I think obsessions (controlled ones at least), like many goals are fine - if you actually could have/do/be everything you dream of... what keeps you going then? As long as it isn't too all consuming, it can even be constructive in leading you to either appreciate what you are able to achieve in that area - or at least give you something to aspire to in the future. Although maybe that's just romanticizing my own irrationality in order to justify persisting in it. :facepalm:

One of my "Obsessions", made back when I had a 5.1 system in my Mancave/Studio and around 2000 LPs that I don't have no more.

DSCF4214.jpg

digicidal

Major Contributor
Very nice. I love the juxtaposition of the symmetry and uniformity combined with the natural variances coming from free-hand painting as well.
Quite a beautiful and peaceful composition. Based on the color choices, I'd guess early 90's?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Very nice. I love the juxtaposition of the symmetry and uniformity combined with the natural variances coming from free-hand painting as well.
Quite a beautiful and peaceful composition. Based on the color choices, I'd guess early 90's?
About 2 years ago.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
People say the sound quality is from distortion etc., I guess from interpreting data. However, let me tell you. You do not hear any distortion, no humming whatsoever. Total blackness inbetween tracks. It’s not like you are listening and say oh, this a distorted sound.....
There are many different kinds of audible distortion, most of which have nothing to do with creating a hum. Any product could have a dead silent background and still be distorting the hell out of the signal (music).

Aidinjon

I had humming issue with my sub and long story short they told me to leave it alone. I loaned the galileo sx to tryout for different reason but I noticed the hum is completely gone and the picture quality on my oled and specially on projector improved quite a bit. If they give me a deal should I get it or I am imagining? Please let me know before I waste my money thanks

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
You could very well be imagining things, but it sounds more like the silly power cable has cut a ground loop.

Best case scenario: There was a loose connection in your old power cable that in some strange way caused a ground loop, and the Galileo SX simply doesn't have that loose connection. You should get the same result by replacing it with a dirt cheap non-broken power cable. This is not very plausible though.. to put it mildly.

Worst case scenario: The Galileo SX has a loose connection on the safety ground, and thereby "fixed" your ground loop. If that's the case, it belongs in a dumpster... or maybe should be given to a jeweler who can make something nice out of the silver. It would be more practical than a big dumb snake full of placebo and fire hazard ;)

I'm betting on the second explanation. Don't waste money on snake oil products just because they cut a ground loop by accident. Instead figure out where the loop runs. It should be possible to cut it, or at least minimize it, with measures that cost much, much (much!) less.

Aidinjon

You could very well be imagining things, but it sounds more like the silly power cable has cut a ground loop.

Best case scenario: There was a loose connection in your old power cable that in some strange way caused a ground loop, and the Galileo SX simply doesn't have that loose connection. You should get the same result by replacing it with a dirt cheap non-broken power cable. This is not very plausible though.. to put it mildly.

Worst case scenario: The Galileo SX has a loose connection on the safety ground, and thereby "fixed" your ground loop. If that's the case, it belongs in a dumpster... or maybe should be given to a jeweler who can make something nice out of the silver. It would be more practical than a big dumb snake full of placebo and fire hazard ;)

I'm betting on the second explanation. Don't waste money on snake oil products just because they cut a ground loop by accident. Instead figure out where the loop runs. It should be possible to cut it, or at least minimize it, with measures that cost much, much (much!) less.
I appreciate it and I'll give it back right away. I

Thank you so much I return it right away and connect all my amps straight to the wall dedicated 20amp . I got mcintosh mc901mono and mc257 and 2 subs if that is ok with you? Thanks again

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I got mcintosh mc901mono and mc257 and 2 subs if that is ok with you?

Not something I should be judging. I'm not the one to tell you what you must enjoy, and what you must not. If it sound good to you, that's all that matters.

I'm more interested in finding effective ways of achieving specific goals, or identifying specific unicorns that are being chased.

Aidinjon

Not something I should be judging. I'm not the one to tell you what you must enjoy, and what you must not. If it sound good to you, that's all that matters.

I'm more interested in finding effective ways of achieving specific goals, or identifying specific unicorns that are being chased.
I really appreciate your time and all advices. God bless you and give you health so you can do so much more on all these snake oil out there cheers!!!

egellings

Major Contributor
It's possible to build tube amps that do not color the sound; i.e. they have adequately low distortion, flat frequency response, and low source impedance (<0.5 ohm). Of course, then why bother? For me, I have home-brewed tube amps using an output transformer with a patented winding technique that meet the minimums I listed, and I view them more as pets than amplifiers. They are not for everyone, and I make no claim for magical sound. They are my little Fi-fi's. Nothing's too good for my little Fi-fi; do you understand? N-N-N-N-Nothing!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's possible to build tube amps that do not color the sound; i.e. they have adequately low distortion, flat frequency response, and low source impedance (<0.5 ohm). Of course, then why bother? For me, I have home-brewed tube amps using an output transformer with a patented winding technique that meet the minimums I listed, and I view them more as pets than amplifiers. They are not for everyone, and I make no claim for magical sound. They are my little Fi-fi's. Nothing's too good for my little Fi-fi; do you understand? N-N-N-N-Nothing!
Bet they dont give good snuggles though. But on the flipside, hopefully no vile smelling presents either.

egellings

Major Contributor
The tube amps don't piddle on the carpet for sure! Granted, huggable they're not, unless you really like lots of electricity.

Top Bottom