• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Of audio, coffee, experiments, and blind testing :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
We have a problem at our house in the wintertime with the large, aggressive songbirds known in the US as bluejays.
They peck at the paint on our house.
Why do they do that? I hear you ask.
They're hungry (so to speak) for calcium.
A couple of years ago, in an attempt (only semi-successful) to thwart this behavior, I took to collecting, washing, drying, and crushing eggshells* to supplement the rascally birds' diets.

For a while, I've been remembering the old trick of adding crushed eggshells to ground coffee to alleviate some of the bitterness (with a bit of collateral damage to the depth and complexity of flavor, according to internet reports). Yesterday, I decided to try it.

Now, if I were smart, I would've said nothing to Mrs. H before doing so. That could have enabled at least a single-blind test.
But, after nearly 40 years of marriage -- I am smarter than that. ;)

So, this morning I announced to her that I was going to try an experiment with the morning's coffee. Now, Mrs. H is also trained as a scientist, so she can manifest a healthy amount of skepticism when circumstances dictate such. She wanted to know exactly what I was going to do... and I told her. She was pretty skeptical, even to the point of asking whether I'd read this idea on the internet on April 1st! ;) Nope, I reassured her. It's a thing (as the say); one of those old, old tricks. Ergo, and with regrets, I unblinded the would-be experiment (so to speak -- there was no control coffee to be made, so, yeah, not even a proper single-blind test).

At any rate, I made the coffee avec eggshells and sampled the result, saying nothing of my impressions to Mrs. H. After breakfast, I asked her, warily, but got not much of a response as to what she thought of it. "I certainly have my opinion, although I think it's influenced by the knowledge of what I did" said I. "You liked it, then?" she asked (kind of rhetorically).

Nope, I didn't. It tasted... perfectly OK... but I sensed a chalky background flavor. I am pretty darned sure that's because I knew that I'd put the eggshells in -- basically a slug of calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate is, of course, the same stuff that makes up chalk.

Mrs. H never did really comment one way or another.
I don't think I'll be repeating the experiment**.

:)

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
hmmm...I always thought just a sprinkle of salt in the grounds was supposed to help with bitterness.

Not sure about the title of this thread though as the only thing in it that's actually relevant is "coffee." lol...no audio, no blind test... I suppose it's sort of an experiment maybe. :D

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Now, Mrs. H is also trained as a scientist, so she can manifest a healthy amount of skepticism when circumstances dictate such.

well, the use of BS detectors aimed at your spouse of 40+ years doesn't really require any science i'd dare say (NOT speaking out of experience...or am i? not one really could handle me for even half that time, so theirs seemed to work damn fine....)

and yet, we still don't know if the bluejays survived the ordeal?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It tasted... perfectly OK... but I sensed a chalky background flavor. I am pretty darned sure that's because I knew that I'd put the eggshells in -- basically a slug of calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate is, of course, the same stuff that makes up chalk.
Ever tried kopi luwak?

egellings

Major Contributor
Maybe the added chalk was more for mouth feel than for flavor.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What is this thread about??
I have no idea what this thread is about but I do have a suggestion for the bluejays needing calcium. Feed them crumbled oyster shells. Chicken farmers use the oyster shells for laying hens to get calcium in their diet. Birds dig this stuff.
oyster_shell_5lb_front.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What is this thread about??

Nobody knows.

One thing for certain, it doesn't belong in the "general audio discussion" forum as there is not one mention of anything audio in the post. :)

It should be here:

1649220374962.png

OP
mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have no idea what this thread is about but I do have a suggestion for the bluejays needing calcium. Feed them crumbled oyster shells. Chicken farmers use the oyster shells for laying hens to get calcium in their diet. Birds dig this stuff.
oyster_shell_5lb_front.png
I've tried that as well -- I think they prefer the eggshells, but I have not conducted a statistically valid poll. :)

This thread is about the loss of objectivity in non-blinded (and non-controlled) studies -- which of course never happens in audio. :cool:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Calcium carbonate is, of course, the same stuff that makes up chalk.
Oy! I just caught on to this post and the word chalk pinched a few neurons, harking back to my boarding-school days.
Beings that this school has had a very deep (centuries) history, upper class-men always had that perspective.:oops:
One of those tricks they had learned (from their upper class-men) was to fake sickness by sniffing chalk - whatever the old chalks' ingredients may have been - which would raise your temperature; landing the snorter in the infirmary, for the day.
You don't seem to be the sinister type; so I must explain the simple reason for this chalk-dust sniff ploy: It allowed the snorter to not have to take a test that they were not ready for...:facepalm:
I never had to resort to such snort tactics and I am not quite sure if Snopes could confirm folklore/fact...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanx for posting, OP.
I landed here only because I was searching for the ASR main coffee-thread.
I had information about a 'grounding solution' I wanted to share with others interested in... well... coffee... audio... blinds/tastes and testing.

Pappy used to say "If you have nothing nice to say,... fermez la bouche!"
I improved upon his stfu theory, and prefer to add something pertinent to the subject someone thought worthwhile to post.;)
I don't even care a free-falling guano what the title or subject matter is.:facepalm:

Correction: 'grinding solution'

dfuller

Major Contributor
Yeah, you gotta be careful about that. Water chemistry absolutely affects how coffee brews, but adding egg shells is almost always gratuitous overkill. When I need to add buffer or hardness, I'm adding maybe 60mg of potassium bicarb (buffer) or ~450mg of magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (read: epsom salt, for hardness) for two liters of distilled water.

Top Bottom