• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OEPlay- new active speakers coming with brain-melting snakeoil info

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
So, this is my first post here, i have found this today, the design of the speakers is not looking bad, reminding me of 70´s Pantone era, Grundig Audiorama etc.. despite the weird and in my opinion not very well fitting wooden legs. But. I have read the info on their page and i have almost died laughing, see for yourself :)
(Aabout their AMT tweeter): "This speeds its sound up to 5x faster than your conventional dome speaker", (about the approx. 5.25/6,5 inch midwoofer): "providing a pristine sound that fills any room with ground-shaking bass. This allows you to hear new notes in your music that you never knew existed, leaving you want more.",
and finally "Enjoy Up to 13x Wider Soundstage" :D Probably alien technology from distant future. I am certain that i can´t have them, because 13Xwider soundstage won´t fit in my house! :D
Webpage : https://www.oeplay.net/
62d11376b4e06cca6584f323_03.jpg
62d11319e8be95b4fb436941_01.jpg

Mixes909s

I have been looking for. Post like this all over the i termer. Who tf writes like that ? I have been sucked in however , and i joined their Whatsapp indiegogo pre launch group .i asked of 2 speakers can be paired to act in stereo . They replied with.a vid demonstrating how it's done . Pretty cool . However i couldn't understand the person demonstrating as it was all in Chinese and the choice of music (and volume) was atrocious. I do however love the design and i am very curious how they would sound

sq225917

Major Contributor
Bit of auto translate error there regarding the AMT.

What they mean is that the air coming off the tweeter is moving 5x faster than the movement of the tweeter membrane. Hence the name, air motion transformer, due to the 5:1 step-up ratio of velocities.

The rest is bollocks.

Mixes909s

Bit of auto translate error there regarding the AMT.

What they mean is that the air coming off the tweeter is moving 5x faster than the movement of the tweeter membrane. Hence the name, air motion transformer, due to the 5:1 step-up ratio of velocities.

The rest is bollocks.
How does that translate to sound quality if at all ?

sq225917

Major Contributor
It has no translation to sound quality, it only speaks to efficiency. But its factually correct nonetheless

OP
Adam Bernau

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
It has no translation to sound quality, it only speaks to efficiency. But its factually correct nonetheless
Well, it is not correct. Even in Wikipedia definition it says that "The speed of the air as it leaves the diaphragm is approximately five times faster than the speed of the actual driver structure, hence the name Air Motion Transformer:" which exactly means that the AMT folded membrane moving 5x times slower than speed of sound.. Nothing about "5x faster speed of sound compared to conventional driver" Again, you just can´t make one soundwawe to have higher speed than another in the same environment, less so five times.

Last edited:
H

Hifihedgehog

Well, this is interesting. I was curious to see if these speakers had any objective chops behind them before totally writing them off as snake oil silliness. So I messaged them to find out if they had ASR on the radar for a review to give them one final chance to prove themselves. It turns out that they claim that they are sending a unit over to Amir for review so these might not be total trash. However, I adamantly urge and caution everyone to wait for a review first since this might be merely an answer to appease prospective buyers. @amirm, have they contacted you about sending you a review sample?

1662385008786.png

Top Bottom