• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Odd electronics

Lenny

Hi:

Not sure if thus will be if any interest, and it’s probably a well known issue to most here, but anyway...,,

The other night while I was removing a vinyl from my turntable I thought I noticed a slight hum. I pushed up the volume to max and yes there was a hum present.

I checked various areas then came to the conclusion it was my Audio Technica 120XUSB turntable. I checked the ground, but it was properly attached. However, when I removed the ground the sound diminished a good bit.

Next day I tried various ways to eliminate that hum including moving the turntable and leaving the ground wire unattached. Nothing truly worked.

So, I talked to an electronics guy at a local store. He thought it was the ground. I asked if he thought it would help if I upgraded my extension cord, surge protector, and adapter. He said maybe, so I bought much better items to replace my old cord and surge protector, etc. I increased the gauge of the power line as with the protector.

While hooking up the wiring I also picked them off the floor and placed them onto an old towel which I tripled up. I read one should try to get wiring off the floor. I turned on the system and no hum! In fact, I noticed an immediate improvement in the Total sound quality.

I would classify my system as entry level audiophile. At the time I made my first purchase I had economics to consider. So, I shied away from good wiring.

I know one can buy much better wiring than I, but I’m just writing this to report that that better wiring does make a difference. Even the slightly better improved wiring I purchased.

Thanks.
Lenny

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
sounds like a ground loop

Top Bottom