• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Octavio AMP

kokakolia

Hello,

I'm curious about this product. There are no reviews. Octavio is like a French copycat of Bluesound. They made a first splash with their Octavio Stream (200€), a streaming DAC with only one AUX input and no digital outputs. Octavio uses Octavio Virtuose for streaming. It looks intuitive. The reviews were very positive surprisingly.

Octavio just released the Octavio AMP for 700€. It's based on the TPA 3250 amplifier board. I'm kind of perplexed that a French "audiophile" brand chose to use such an affordable amplification solution found in sub 100€ Chinese amps.

If the implementation is smart (with added features/better components), would this streaming amp be worth the cost? Here's a link (specs below):

https://www.octavio.fr/en/amp/

SPÉCIFICATIONS
Type de produitAmplificateur
Lecteur réseau
Entrées1x Ethernet RJ45
2x RCA stéréo
1x Optique Toslink
1x USB-B
SortiesBorniers enceintes
1x Sortie subwoofer
ConnectivitéWiFi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz / GHz
Bluetooth 5.0 A2DP
Puce d'amplificationTPA3250
Puissance2x65W @ 4Ω
2x35W @ 8Ω
Rendement> 92%
Puce DACBurr Brown PCM1798
Taux d'échantillonnages supportésPCM jusqu'à 24bit 192kHz
THD< 0.005% @ 1W
CPUAllwiner R328
ARM Cortex TM-A7 dual-core 1.2GHz
Puce WiFi/BluetoothAMPAK AP6256
Linkplay Next Gen Modules
Formats de fichiers supportésFLAC, OFF, ALAC, WMA, APE, MP3
GÉNÉRAL
Dimensions20 x 4cm
Package1x Octavio AMP
1x Câble d'alimentation
1x Alimentation 24V

Note that the product page shows the Octavio Amp with some high-end Davis Acoustics Krypton 3 speakers (1000€/pair). So the amp should be decent, right?

D

Deleted member 47224

I have tried the Octavio Stream, although not extensively, and it does indeed work well. A new app is being developed (beta available). I don't know about the amp but I would think it is well made. I was told they are going to release to newer version with a more capable power supply, to boost wattage of the amp, albeit probably not much.
If I'm not mistaken, they are also working on a grown-up version of the Streamer for sometime next year, but don't take my word for it.

Their main selling point is not so much being "audiophile" but more "made in France", and with the Streamer "just add good streaming capabilities without buying a whole new amp".

OP
K

kokakolia

I have tried the Octavio Stream, although not extensively, and it does indeed work well. A new app is being developed (beta available). I don't know about the amp but I would think it is well made. I was told they are going to release to newer version with a more capable power supply, to boost wattage of the amp, albeit probably not much.
If I'm not mistaken, they are also working on a grown-up version of the Streamer for sometime next year, but don't take my word for it.

Their main selling point is not so much being "audiophile" but more "made in France", and with the Streamer "just add good streaming capabilities without buying a whole new amp".
I'm keeping the Octavio Amp in the back of my head. I don't know how it fares against a serious A/B amplifier like an Atoll IN80. It's most likely inferior. What do you think?

D

Deleted member 47224

I'm not so sure about that. I don't know much about Atoll amps, but it seems they somewhat overrate their power, and their distortion is not so good.
https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/wzmacniacze-stereo/902-atoll-in400

However it is just data and I don't know how it translates in real world as I never had nor tried one.

I was interested in them and it is because I was searching for a technical review that I learned about AudioScienceReview. Maybe I would have been happy with my purchase, maybe not. With what I learn since then, probably not.

OP
K

kokakolia

UPDATE: Octavio Amp

So I just viewed this demonstration video and the Octavio Amp seems really quiet. The amplifier is at 75% volume in the demonstration and the sound coming out of the small bookshelf speakers doesn't seem to be uncomfortably loud. Is this the case with the similarily specced Aiyima A07? They typically advertise these tiny amps for desktop use and it's easy to see why.

That said, French people typically live in appartements or townhouses so they don't crank the volume very high. The Octavio Amp would be sufficient in that context. I don't crank the volume very high either, maybe 20% on a beefier A/B amplifier.

RE: Atoll It doesn't bother me that they inflate the power ratings since I only need about 30W of power to make my ears bleed. The IN80 is advertised at 80W (I think). I'm mentioning Atoll because they're widely available in the used market. They seem well-built too. The newer "Signature" line is said to be less aggressive in the highs.

So it seems like your typical Atoll amp will sound way louder than your puny Octavio Amp.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sam Ash

It absolutely has a digital output.

Davis speakers are nothing close to high-end. ;)

Correlation?

Have you had the opportunity to use it and hear it? - Any idea how it compares to similar products by BS and Sonos? The app seems to be a joy to use as you mentioned in your review of their stream unit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom