• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Octave Music Don Grusin High Resolution Music Analysis (Video)

Music1969

Major Contributor
This you showed in post #956 is just a poor implemented DAC.
Poor implemented DAC, similar to the one Amir uses everyday?

This is the AK4490 earlier model of ADI-2 (post #249 of this same thread):

But at that link you will see the difference when PCM44.1k is upsampled to PCM705k and DSD256

1648393927498.png

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check the link for better graphs of same DAC
I don't have that device to verify your miska's results, giving you miska the benefit of the doubt, it just shows that for this DAC, its 44.1/32 PCM is poorly implemented.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I don't have that device to verify your results, giving you the benefit of the doubt, it just shows that for this DAC, its 44.1/32 PCM is poorly implemented.
Ok so please tell Amir, who uses the very similar V2 RME ADI-2 everyday , that PCM44.1 is poorly implemented with his DAC.

The irony is you are then in agreement with @Miska so I'm not sure why you accused him of FUD?

Amir described the DAC part of ADI-2 Pro as "near perfect":

I use ADI-2 V2 myself

dc655321

Major Contributor
Ok so please tell Amir, who uses the very similar V2 RME ADI-2 everyday , that PCM44.1 is poorly implemented with his DAC.

You mean the chip is common between the RME and SMSL DACs?

Why be concerned about that? It’s one component (critical, surely) of many.

And why, “please tell Amir…”? Utterly irrelevant.

The “issue” begins 300kHz above the audioband for the instance shown.

Music1969

Major Contributor
You mean the chip is common between the RME and SMSL DACs?
No his comment about the image at approx 353kHz with PCM44.1kHz inputs - is the RME a poorly designed DAC?

Of course not but it looks even cleaner with PCM705k and moreso with DSD256

Miska

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Now, we are back to the original scheduled programming of most of the story can be told by SINAD.

What bandwidth?

But anyway, that's where the DSD is clearly winner.

So .... FUD on phase shift problem: Debunked

What FUD? Debunk what? I was just discussing alternatives of reconstruction filters to correctly reconstruct RedBook.

This you showed in post #956 is just a poor implemented DAC. Not that it matters much in real life as very few audio amplifiers has frequency bandwidth to a 300 kHz, no transducer reproduces them, and we can't hear them. It is shown that a bottom tier device sold >15 years ago did not have this problem. Another FUD debunked.

And on same argument, any FUD on DSD noise is also debunked. So we can end the thread here. But OTOH you DAC looks like a regular DSD128 DAC anyway, so you are obviously not concerned about this in first place.

Although this same discussion will return again in two years time. Like it has been for the past 20+ years.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What bandwidth?

But anyway, that's where the DSD is clearly winner.
I'll let you enjoy your (inaudible) "high bandwidth" contents buried in the (also inaudible) high frequency noise.

I'll keep my ability to apply DSP.

Miska

Audio Company
I'll let you enjoy your (inaudible) "high bandwidth" contents buried in the (also inaudible) high frequency noise.

I'll keep my ability to apply DSP.

Yeah, me too. I happily apply all the same DSP regardless if the content source is PCM or DSD. :) It doesn't affect my ability to do DSP.

Output format is always what ever is best for the particular DAC, it also doesn't depend on what format the source content happens to be.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Although this same discussion will return again in two years time. Like it has been for the past 20+ years.
Yes this what will happen:

This thread will fizzle out - everything has been said from both sides.

In 12 months Amir will eventually muster some energy to purchase a high quality DSD256 recording and analyse it.

And all the same people of this thread will be back to make all the exact same arguments again.

And the one man army of Miska will valiantly attempt to defend each 1-bit of each attacking post :D

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In 12 months Amir will eventually muster some energy to purchase a high quality DSD256 recording and analyse it.
Oh, you mean didn't already have enough of bad DSD recordings? I already have some:

1648425865752.png

Doesn't make your case now, does it?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No his comment about the image at approx 353kHz with PCM44.1kHz inputs - is the RME a poorly designed DAC?
You worry about something at 353 kHz? Are you serious?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Music1969

Major Contributor
You worry about something at 353 kHz? Are you serious?
NTK was hinting that this is evidence of a poorly designed DAC so I simply asked, does that mean the RME is also a poorly designed DAC.

I use an RME everyday myself.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Doesn't make your case now, does it?
What is my case?

I simply made a joke that the discussion will continue to go in circles in 12 months.

But it seems the discussion is ready to go in circles right now :D

Miska

Audio Company
Oh, you mean didn't already have enough of bad DSD recordings?

I have no shortage of bad PCM recordings. Fake hires. Over compress loudness wars things. Content driven to heavy digital clipping.

2L38-01.png

Yeah, great noise-free PCM recording from 2L!

Let's play a game. Show me one native DSD production with heavy digital clipping. And I show you two PCM recordings with heavy digital clipping.

Last edited:

Ricardus

I have no shortage of bad PCM recordings. Fake hires. Over compress loudness wars things. Content driven to heavy digital clipping.

View attachment 195809

Let's play a game. Show me one native DSD production with heavy digital clipping. And I show you two PCM recordings with heavy digital clipping.
What does that have to do with the topic at hand? You can distort any recording format. But the "loudness wars" aren't baked into PCM by design. That's just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 195809

What is the ratio of PCM recordings to DSD? Maybe 10,000 to one or maybe more. So okay play your game. Just make it a 10,000 display of the bad PCM recordings to keep it proportional.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NTK was hinting that this is evidence of a poorly designed DAC so I simply asked, does that mean the RME is also a poorly designed DAC.

I use an RME everyday myself.
This was what I said. It doesn't matter in real life. But since it can clearly be avoided, there is simply no good reason not to.
This you showed in post #956 is just a poor implemented DAC. Not that it matters much in real life as very few audio amplifiers has frequency bandwidth to a 300 kHz, no transducer reproduces them, and we can't hear them. It is shown that a bottom tier device sold >15 years ago did not have this problem. Another FUD debunked.

[Edit] Did you notice any problem with your RME DAC before you see those graphs? If not, what is there to worry about?

Last edited:
Top Bottom