• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OCD hi-fi Mikey Guy point of view on cables and other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello.
The Guy (Mike Powell) has youtube channel, owns Verastarr cable company for many years, he also sells hi-end stuff in the US. What do you think about his point of view on cables and other issues from his numerous youtube videos? But please, do not insult him (I kindly ask you). Maybe he would like to cooperate, send some hi-end stuff for measurements to Amirm, cables or amps or dacs (he is a dealer of very interesting AGD GaN class D amps, Playback Designs MPD-8 Dream DAC and many others)...

He throws many comparisons on youtube of various stuff so everybody could judge by himself the differences.
Very interesting channel IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
TLDW, much too boring watching that dude hove in and out of view.

axbarker

I watched a video of his last night where he changed anti-vibration mounts for a DAC from "pointy side up" to "pointy side down". He said he heard a difference and assumed that the "wave guide shape" of the support was providing a different resonant frequency to the DAC chassis and hence the impact on sound.

Unbelievable and really depressing that there is such delusional stuff pumped around.

D

Deleted member 21219

Insults are usually defined as, "comments designed to treat someone with contempt or disdain." In my personal view, the truth is not insulting. It may hurt the ego, but that's another matter entirely.

OP
DHT 845

DHT 845

In my personal view, the truth is not insulting. It may hurt the ego, but that's another matter entirely.
I agree, I just don't want ad personam adjectives towards this man. I have some common experience with him in the area of planar magnetic drivers, active crossovers and power cords. His verastarr ribbon cables are very expensive and that may be controversial and rise unnecessary emotions...

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
You post a video in ASR of a guy who shits on ASR and ask the ASR folks not to insult him? Two quotes from Mike Powell as found in the comments section below the video you posted.

" that guy Imir is bad for the industry , not because he finds everything measures different than spec, but he is misleading as shit."

"This what makes imirs website trash, he assumes good measurements are all that matter, and that's just naive. "

D

Deleted member 21219

I agree, I just don't want ad personam adjectives towards this man. I have some common experience with him in the area of planar magnetic drivers, active crossovers and power cords. His verastarr ribbon cables are very expensive and that may be controversial and rise unnecessary emotions...
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :p:p:p :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

diddley

Forum Donor
5.32min and i'm exhausted.he must be a insult nr 1 and a insult nr 2
But the biggest insult is that he thinks that people are stupid.and wear socks instead of naked feet aargh

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a *very* unsatisfying first experience with MP when he was modifying Oppo DVD players. Once was quite enough, thank you very little.

OP
DHT 845

DHT 845

You post a video in ASR of a guy who shits on ASR and ask the ASR folks not to insult him? Two quotes from Mike Powell as found in the comments section below the video you posted.
" that guy Imir is bad for the industry , not because he finds everything measures different than spec, but he is misleading as shit."
"This what makes imirs website trash, he assumes good measurements are all that matter, and that's just naive. "
He's on the opposite side to ASR views so that is why he find's ASR misleading.
Majority of his videos just show how stuff sounds with little comment. He recomends good headphones for judgment, but I can hear obvious differences even on my big OLED tv mounted on the wall. I don't think his videos are manipulated...
No common ground for discussion with such a "subjectivist" that put objectively recorded material on youtube for everyone to judge by himself?

izeek

sooo, what's your skin in this game?
you already very obviously know how your post will be received here yet you are asking members to suspend their feelings to assuage you and a guy who felt little compunction about insulting someone else with very little to no new information that would objectively give us reason to consider said point of view.
there's a term for that. at least one.

aedagnino

Can I posit a conspiracy theory? Audiosciencereview is one of audio related websites with highest traffic on the net, and I can't help but think that posting these links is a subterfuge to increase traffic on these youtube channels or whatever is linked. Clickbaiting they call it. Maybe my impression is wrong, but I've been seeing more and more of these links and 'questions' ("are boutique speaker cables a scam?" etc), which will elicit a strong response from a lot of people around here. Just my 2c...

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Troll Thread closed. Op consider this a Warning. Do not post any more Snake Oil sales threads unless it’s in the proper Snake Oil thread. If you expected us to just discard Science and mountains of actual data that Proves Cables don’t do anything except drain your Bank Account, you were wrong. I recommend you do more reading to truly understand what ASR is before making any more posts/threads.

This was Certifiably a Cable Troll Thread! Deleted link to Snake Oil Site from thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom