• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objectivists vs. Subjectivists - Who's right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geert

Major Contributor
Screenshot_20211019_200522.jpg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Measure the frequency response of a headphone with a certain dac / amp ... then measure it with another dac / amp that sounds completely different to you ... look at the frequency response ... it would be a checkmate, right?

No, because that just proves we can't measure everything.

OP
A

audiofilet

Yes, but any knowledgeable person knows that if one is trying to 'hear' difference between formats, such comparisons are useless.

Un-knowledgeable persons need not be taken seriously on the matter.
The question is whether the difference is in fact audible.
How else should a knowledgeable person perform this test, to know the knowledgeable difference?:)

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To paraphrase Duke Ellington: There are only two types of high fidelity judgements: the good ones, and the other kind.

holbob

I have a theory that subjectivists in audio are constantly striving for the feeling that they got with that first hit - the sound they heard on their first proper hifi system with decent speakers. The jump forward in quality from whatever midi system, etc they listened to music on previously. But the problem is they were much younger - it's impossible to get that same sound again due to natural age related hearing loss.

Reactions: JRS

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a theory that subjectivists in audio are constantly striving for the feeling that they got with that first hit - the sound they heard on their first proper hifi system with decent speakers. The jump forward in quality from whatever midi system, etc they listened to music on previously. But the problem is they were much younger - it's impossible to get that same sound again due to natural age related hearing loss.
I agree it is a kind of search for a euphoric feeling of being connected to lifelike sound, and it can be elusive. Not sure it is so age-related. In all honesty, and as I've said in other threads, it is easier and cheaper to get there with a decent-measuring system and a little THC than hoping your exotic tube amp and horn speakers will give it up instead of be annoying today.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The question is whether the difference is in fact audible.
How else should a knowledgeable person perform this test, to know the knowledgeable difference?:)

I was responding to the example of using, e.g., a purchased CD vs a purchased SACD of the same album, to demonstrate audible difference between audio formats when, in fact, the mastering could simply be different. You have not controlled for all the pertinent variables. You would not be testing what you think you are testing. To not take mastering into account, before embarking on such a test, would demonstrate ignorance.

When the mastering of A and B is surely the same -- e.g., when encoding a particular lossless source to lossy yourself, and comparing before/after -- it's not an issue.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To paraphrase Duke Ellington: There are only two types of high fidelity judgements: the good ones, and the other kind.

Duke said 'if it sounds good, it is good.' He didn't say why it sounds good. Which is the mistake subjectivists make.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My short take, is I can compare measurments and data, user comments not so much, they vary too much in defintions and personal taste. I don't particularly use others' subjective opinions for determining purchases a variety of things either, tho. It's like taste in food or clothes, subjective is just too personal to care how someone else might describe it for themselves.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Duke said 'if it sounds good, it is good.' He didn't say why it sounds good. Which is the mistake subjectivists make.
Duke Ellington has several records on Storyville than doesn't sound good.
Sound good: thing for subjectivists.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Duke Ellington has several records on Storyville than doesn't sound good.
Sound good: thing for subjectivists.
Scrambled word salad---Ellington's recordings go back to the 1920's, sound quality varies accordingly. Ellington pointed to good and ignorable music. So this is metaphor, not documentation.

OP
A

audiofilet

To not take mastering into account, before embarking on such a test, would demonstrate ignorance. You would not be testing what you think you are testing.

When the mastering of A and B is surely the same -- e.g., when encoding a particular lossless source to lossy yourself, and comparing before/after -- it's not an issue.
Why are you insinuating my ignorance, when you haven't even taken the time to check whether that's the case?

I actually did account for that with ffmpeg and even posted about it in the thread.

You seem unnecessarily hostile, relax please.

Frgirard

Major Contributor

Robin L

Master Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom