• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objectivist friendly and wallet friendly IEM?

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thieaudio Legacy 4 is being super praised and it is just 195. Also 2 switches for 4 possible tunings

innerPeace

Currently using KZ ZSR (looks like it's discontinued) and Galaxy Buds+ for in ear.

Ordered ER2SE instead of ER2XR, since this won't be my only IEM, I would use ER2SE as neutral, closer to reference sound. Hopefully I can get the fit going.

Still undecided on what to get for more 'fun' sounding IEM (relatively fun, compared to ER2SE, not looking for crazy V shape). Few items that I read up on so far.
- Moondrop Starfield - Paint chipping, might need to change filter often
- ThieAudio Legacy 3 - Might be too bassy
- Fiio FH3 - reviews are very polarizing
- Tin Hifi T4 - reviews seems to rate Starfield and Legacy 3 higher
- Blon BL-03 with upgraded cable + ear tips - Might end up upgrading not soon after

Last edited:

samwell7

Etymotic MC5 were my first IEMs around 10 years ago, I've had a few sets of them now (the cans came apart, replaced under great customer service) the Etymotic isolation was perfect for long public commutes, now it's perfect for mowing the lawns and drowning out the sounds of toddlers while I'm working from home.

Currently I've got Etymotic MC5 and MK5 (given to me as a gift) plus a Rock-It Sounds R-50 (**** name, good IEM) which is a dual BA that sounds pretty similar to the Etymotics.

@JohnYang1997 do you think there is there any benefit in me spending the ~$120AU to buy an ER2SE, or spending even more to go the 3 or 4 series? Or should I just wait until one of my current sets dies and buy a new Ety at that time?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Etymotic MC5 were my first IEMs around 10 years ago, I've had a few sets of them now (the cans came apart, replaced under great customer service) the Etymotic isolation was perfect for long public commutes, now it's perfect for mowing the lawns and drowning out the sounds of toddlers while I'm working from home.

Currently I've got Etymotic MC5 and MK5 (given to me as a gift) plus a Rock-It Sounds R-50 (**** name, good IEM) which is a dual BA that sounds pretty similar to the Etymotics.

@JohnYang1997 do you think there is there any benefit in me spending the ~$120AU to buy an ER2SE, or spending even more to go the 3 or 4 series? Or should I just wait until one of my current sets dies and buy a new Ety at that time?
That really depends on your budget. These are quite affordable imho. You can get er2se + er4sr + er4xr and switch between them. Or get a second hand original er4s. That's very good too. I see no benefit getting er3 at all.
They are quality good IEMs that last years. So I think getting er4sr is a good option if you just wanna get one.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
TL'DR: Don't know anything about IEMs. Please suggest a neutral/accurate one that's around US$150-200.

Long version: I'm looking for an "everyday carry" IEM for when I'm traveling, commuting, etc. Not familiar with the IEM realm but I do know that headphones in general should not measure flat. But I need an accurate and neutral one with the least coloration. My benchmark for headphones is the HD6XX. If I can get an IEM that sounds like the HD6XX that would be good enough.

I plan to use it to listen to Spotify with my Samsung S8 (upgrading to S10 soon) and an AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt. I know that AQ isn't an objectivist darling but the Cobalt seems to be the best out there for my purpose: an uber portable DAC/amp to drive $200 IEMs for Spotify playback. I've used having a cigarette carton sized DAP in the past but it's just too bulky and cumbersome. Now I just want to listen with my phone.

The Etymotic ER3SE ($179) seems to fit my requirements, but I haven't tried one out. Darko raved about the Campfire Audio Comet ($200) but are they neutral?
Get a Blon bl03 about $30 bucks ,spend the rest for Valentine's day.

Biblob

Recently I bought the very cheap Sony MH-750, for only €10. I based the buy on the measurements from Oratory, they followed the Harman IE-curve very well without EQ.

In listening I find the bass a bit too much, and it feels pretty cheaply made. But hey, that's to expect from €10. The rest of the sound I find is pretty good. All in all a good buy for the money, I'd say.

highpurityusbcable

My most expensive IEM is NF Audio NM2. Overall I think they are tuned very well and imaging is accurate. Sometimes sub-bass is a little too powerful on certain songs but it's delicious when the song is well made. It sounds natural and not fatiguing. Headstage is not big but not claustrophobic either. Very detailed but could be cleaner in the lows, I think. Very good in general for a single DD and for the price I've paid (~$85). If I'll have the chance to upgrade from them, diminishing returns will hit hard probably, especially because there's no chance to audition before buying.
I also have: BQEYZ KC2 (sawmill shift simulator but very good with certain genres), Moondrop SSR (old telephone simulator, worst purchase), BL-03 (fun sometimes but muddy), CCA C10 (pretty good and big sound but kind of "plastic" tone).

Veri

Master Contributor
Kinda interested in the cheapest SeeAudio, supposedly very Harman-tuned.
https://www.linsoul.com/collections/seeaudio
nEkVCky.png

Fregly

That really depends on your budget. These are quite affordable imho. You can get er2se + er4sr + er4xr and switch between them. Or get a second hand original er4s. That's very good too. I see no benefit getting er3 at all.
They are quality good IEMs that last years. So I think getting er4sr is a good option if you just wanna get one.
John, you think the 4sr is better than the 2se? I have both and I listen to the 2se more but perhaps the 4sr is technically better in measurements? I figure the lower distortion of the 2se makes them equivalent overall.

samwell7

Thanks, so there is enough of a difference between the 2SE and 4SR to justify the difference?

OP
typericey

typericey

Get a Blon bl03 about $30 bucks ,spend the rest for Valentine's day.

I have 'em. Not exactly neutral, but quite pleasant. Heavy low end and enhanced in around 2kHz giving a perception of detail. Best with Comply foam tips.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have 'em. Not exactly neutral, but quite pleasant. Heavy low end and enhanced in around 2kHz giving a perception of detail. Best with Comply foam tips.
For me those blons actually work with stock tips and stock cable, guess I'm an oddity. Sound criminally good for $30 lol, diminishing returns from here.

samwell7

Just to go down the opposite path of my earlier question, I had a listen to some Galaxy Bud +s today and I enjoyed the sound signature for some 'laidback' listening, they sound like Harman but with a bit more mid-bass (which was missing from the AKG K371s imo).

Can anybody tell some (preferably cheap) wired IEMs with a similar sound signature?

outerspace

There are many cheap IEMs that can be transformed to whatever you want. For example, you can find $10 Panasonic HJE120 in almost every local store. They have low distortions and don't have sharp peaks and dips (test 1, test 2) so you can equalize them to sound at almost reference level with 10 band equalizer. But their cable is stiff and have microphonic effect. $10 Sony MH750 and MH755 have very good sound out of the box and very low distortions level. They are similar to Samsung Galaxy Buds+ which are very good too.

samwell7

There are many cheap IEMs that can be transformed to whatever you want. For example, you can find $10 Panasonic HJE120 in almost every local store. They have low distortions and don't have sharp peaks and dips (test 1, test 2) so you can equalize them to sound at almost reference level with 10 band equalizer. But their cable is stiff and have microphonic effect. $10 Sony MH750 and MH755 have very good sound out of the box and very low distortions level. They are similar to Samsung Galaxy Buds+ which are very good too.
Thanks for your detailed response! I went looking for those Sony buds when I first saw them mentioned here (can't remember the thread) but couldn't find any genuine ones.
Do you have any recommendations (doesn't have to be that cheap) for IEMs similar to the buds+ that won't need EQ?

outerspace

Thanks for your detailed response! I went looking for those Sony buds when I first saw them mentioned here (can't remember the thread) but couldn't find any genuine ones.
Do you have any recommendations (doesn't have to be that cheap) for IEMs similar to the buds+ that won't need EQ?
I doubt you can find something close to Harman curve, except of mentioned models. You need at least some bass EQ to get a similar response. Beats Powerbeats Pro are something close to Harman curve too.

pwjazz

Forum Donor
Thieaudio Legacy 4 is being super praised and it is just 195. Also 2 switches for 4 possible tunings

I own these. One of the switches doesn't have any effect, and neither position of the other switches is to my taste. I've tried various tips and EQ, and never end up listening to these for more than a few minutes and end up switching back to the Starfield or QKZ VK4.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Kinda interested in the cheapest SeeAudio, supposedly very Harman-tuned.
https://www.linsoul.com/collections/seeaudio
nEkVCky.png
I have been reading reviews of the Yume. Most reviewers agree that the Yume has exceptional tonal balance but also pales in technicality compared to other IEMs. This makes me wonder, what do they mean by "technicality" or "technical ability"? I assume these reviewers can just "hear" the technicality because nobody conducts any different type of measurements other than the frequency response. Is lacking in technicality a real thing or just an euphemism to say that the Yume is too cheap to be good?

jonfitch

The ER4XR/SR seem to go on sale quite often on Adorama. They are discounted to $129, so I jumped on a pair. Seemed like not much of a difference compared to the regular price of ER3 or ER2. Seem like pretty good IEM for the price.

Top Bottom