• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objectivist friendly and wallet friendly IEM?

Blujackaal

I am finding the Er2se more relaxed and yet more detailed than the Er4sr. If I am really hearing what I am hearing, could this be attributed to the lower distortion of the E2? I hear little sounds deep in the mix of music I did not notice with the E4, and I can't imagine this coming from minor squigles of difference in the frequency graphs. I also notice a shift in the soundstage presention, and do not understand the cause when both measure so similarly overall.

The ER2SE has the lowest distortion of the ER line up, It's 0.1% vs 0.5% of the ER4SR. Pretty much planar/electrostatic level & maybe they could be using current gen dynamic drivers with improvements over past versions?. I've noticed that too with my ER2SE smoother than the ER3/ER4 but the clarity/res is much better. Can notice stuff i didn't notice on the BA versions. Cost only $160 yet it driver mesures better than the $4000 Focal utopia.

Asylum Seeker

Guys, what's your take on the Massdrop Plus Universal IEM?

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-plus-universal-iems
I'd probably first spring for the Magaosi K5 with five BAs or even the lowly TRN BA5 with, again, five BAs. You can probably even buy both for the price of the Drop job if you talk to Uncle Ali. Drop boats everything--design, testing, etc--was done in the US. I don't want to pay for that.

I thought you didn't like BA 'dryness'. I have to admit that my least favorite of the IEMs in my stable are DD only.

Earfonia

I thought you didn't like BA 'dryness'. I have to admit that my least favorite of the IEMs in my stable are DD only.

I generally don't like BA on the bass section, but I'm ok with BA dryness for the rest of the spectrum. But with some exception like I mentioned before, Knowles CI driver sounds good for bass section. Generally i don't care of the technology type of the driver, the dryness is just my observation. Any technology that sounds good are welcome in my book.

And some BA driver IEM may have wild impedance curve that's make them not suitable for high output impedance devices like many pro audio gears.

deniall83

I need some new headphones but I'm no sure what to get. I've owned HD600's and really liked them but the clamping force made them unwearable after a short while. I'd get headaches even after stretching them out. I've spent significant time listening to the Focal Clear and really enjoyed them but they're over $2k in Australia and I can't justify that. Maybe something in between. Any suggestions?

deafenears

Forum Donor
I've spent significant time listening to the Focal Clear and really enjoyed them but they're over $2k in Australia and I can't justify that. Maybe something in between. Any suggestions?
Focal Elear then?

Earfonia

I need some new headphones but I'm no sure what to get. I've owned HD600's and really liked them but the clamping force made them unwearable after a short while. I'd get headaches even after stretching them out. I've spent significant time listening to the Focal Clear and really enjoyed them but they're over $2k in Australia and I can't justify that. Maybe something in between. Any suggestions?

You may try Audio-Technica ATH-R70x. Very light headphones and very comfortable, at least for me.

Earfonia

I've been listening to my old favorite IEM today, Audio-Technica ATH-IM50. I still quite like it, so gonna put it here as one of my recommended IEM. The design of the stock cable is pretty bad, I don't like the memory wire, so prepare to get other cable for it. But sound quality wise, it is really good!

chlipong

I haven't confirmed this, but I've heard that they now ship with additional 2 flange tips that don't insert as deep.
I received a pair of ER2SE ordered on drop.com 1 month ago and can confirm that inside the box there is a set of 2-flange eartips in 4 different sizes in a pre-cut dense foam plate, while the package only mention 2 pairs of 3-flange and 1 pair of foam eartips.
Need to be inserted as deep than 3-flange eartips but insertion is a bit easier, but removing them, not so.

Really impressed so far with the sound compared to HD58X / HD6XX, but I'm not used to listen to music with IEM and even less with deep insertion IEM. I was more a loudspeakers listener.
There are a lot more details probably thanks to the very good seal and the delivery of the sound very close to the eardrums is mind blowing, like there was no intermediate between the instruments and the auditive cortex, it's a so direct experience that it's sometimes "disturbing" but in an unexpected and pleasant way.
Even if I truely like both sennheiser headphones, I didn't feel the need to listen to my prefered tracks to discover new details, contrary to those ER2SE. :D

Last edited:

JazzGene

Just want to add my 2 cents. I have always loved Etymotic. Starting with the ER4S and then ER4P. Been using ER4SR for some time now and just picked up the ER4XR. Personally, I prefer the SR as the sound sounds just like when I am recording in the studio. XR has too much fake bass in my opinion but still a fun and great earphone for electronic/pop type of music.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Everybody seems to love the Thieaudio Legacy 3. I dont think it is super flat, neither super coloured.

pwjazz

Forum Donor
I can recommend the QKZ VK4 on sound. I paid $16 for one and it's got a very natural timbre, solid bass, and a pleasant treble. I only got it yesterday so I can't comment on durability. It feels almost identical to a KZ ZST, which is to say light and cheap, but probably robust enough. Comfort is great (at least it is with Spinfit tips, can't speak to the stock ones).

Here are my measurements (on an IE60318-4 occluded ear simulator) in comparison to the Starfield, Andromeda and a KZ ZST (the latter exemplifying an extreme v-shaped tuning that's popular among a lot of cheaper IEMs). I think I might actually prefer the VK4 to the Starfield because it's more laid back around 2-3 KHz. I don't like it as much for classical, but for all around listening its both pleasant and engaging when I turn up the volume a notch.

1596564243091.png

eeeper

The BQEYZ BQ3s do well if you like bass, clean and tight, definitely not subdued - great for big band music or vocals. Without an emphasis on the high end they're easily the best for long listening sessions for me. My favorite IEM though is my MS4s: clean, clear and detailed. In order of favorites, MS4, Fiio F9 pro, BQEYZ BQ3, TRN V80,kz sz10 pro. Love them all for different reasons and for different music styles.

Blujackaal

Just want to add my 2 cents. I have always loved Etymotic. Starting with the ER4S and then ER4P. Been using ER4SR for some time now and just picked up the ER4XR. Personally, I prefer the SR as the sound sounds just like when I am recording in the studio. XR has too much fake bass in my opinion but still a fun and great earphone for electronic/pop type of music.

The ER4XR peaks at 4db, It pretty much a semi fun sound with ER4 detail. Still love the reviews by some upset it killed the claim Single BAs, Can't handle bass. As if they ignored it was made for ER4S owners who EQ'd them with bit more bass.

NDC

I've been enjoying the Starfields and ER2XRs. I just can't do the really deep insertion with the 3 flange tip ER2s - have to use the foam ear tips provided. Still sounds great.

192kbps

755 is pretty good on its own and for the price you can't argue. It is closer to the OE target which is acceptable. I was referring to the IE target which is simply WTF. It's still much better than majority of iems on the market.
The downsides of 755 are
1 too much bass
2 too much mid bass blunt
3 a bit of 7khz peak due to ear canal resonance
4 not exactly match to targets

Sony MH1 is better overall and if modded(to reduce bass) it's one of the best sounding iem on earth. Very smooth and accurate.

I just bought the MH1C, the best headphone I have ever heard.

faheem

Forum Donor
Have you heard Solaris? Andro mids are silky compared to it..... the one I heard might have been simply especially bad though, there are rumours of very bad unit variance with Solaris which is another big fault towards Campfire audio in my book :/
Solaris mids are wonky.

Blujackaal

I only personally heard Vega and Andromeda in 2016 I believe or 2017. Since then, I never listened to alo/campfire iems again.
According to measurements there is a peak at 2khz and after 2khz there is a drop, making the sound harsh and even more weird. And I haven't seen any alo iem that measures any good. Oh including their overear closed back headphones. That thing sounds just like Vega.:facepalm:

It just a meh V shaped IEM, It like the ER4XR with more bass & zero pinna gain. What even worse you could EQ the CA Comet mids/treble to match the Andro, Which is funny since the Comet is a single balanced armature like the ER4. Yet many reviewers said the Comet was bassier despite both having the same bass, What are the other 4 drivers even doing?. Since it not even stressing a single driver set up. lol

markanini

Major Contributor
After owning KZ ZST for a week my I can say it's performance will be hard to beat for the price. The sound signature is what I consider balanced with moderate detail enhancement in the mids an highs with good low-end extension without mid-bass bloat. Doesn't leave my any impression of major sound quality issue. If I'm being picky the detail is occasional over-enhanced or artificial, still it's noticeable on a source by source basis.

Top Bottom