• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objectivist friendly and wallet friendly IEM?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I don't like IEMs in general, the bass always seems faked. That said, I got the Klipsch X11i earbuds for a little over $100 from Blinq, they're usually a lot more expensive. As this is an older model, there's probably still sale prices for this model. What the Klipsch IEMs got that others don't are buds that are oval in circumference instead of round, making for a snugger fit. They also are the lightest earbuds I've encountered. The mids and treble conform to the kind of sound I'm getting from Sennheiser 579/599HD and AKG 167 headphones. These buds have bass, but it's not their strong point.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a pair of Klipsch ProMedia IEMs in 2011, they had the same oval tips (I believe Klipsch have a patent on this design) and they were very comfortable. I think they were also some of the first decent in-ears with an Android specific controller (I had an HTC Desire at the time which was basically the same phone as the original Google Nexus).

Asylum Seeker

Chi-fi is where value is these days. I'd look into getting three to four different, cheap Chinese IEMs under USD50, and auditioning them yourself to find the one(s) you like. Start with the following:
  • Tin T2
  • BLON BL03
  • KZ ZS10PRO
All three are well regarded and under $35.
Having now listened to both the BLON BL-3 and the KZ ZS10PRO for several days, I can tell you that SQ-wise they are both steals for their price (in Asia). I paid no more than $30 for them here. Their value boggles the mind. Thank you, Xi Jinping!

Last edited:
OP
typericey

typericey

Having now listened to both the BLON BL-3 and the KZ ZS10PRO for several days, I can tell you that SQ-wise they are both steals for their price (in Asia). I paid no more than $30 for them here. Their value boggles the mind. Thank you, Xi Jinping!

I have both the BLON and ZS10 Pro and are enjoying them both. While not perfect*, they are definitely great values. The BLON is definitely colored, and while the KZ is more neutral, I hesitate to recommend it as "objectivist friendly."

Asylum Seeker

I have both the BLON and ZS10 Pro and are enjoying them both. While not perfect*, they are definitely great values. The BLON is definitely colored, and while the KZ is more neutral, I hesitate to recommend it as "objectivist friendly."
Let us not conflate objectivist with neutral/balanced.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Moondrop Starfields arrived today from China. I've had quick listen without EQ and I like them (I have my MEEAudio Pinnacle P1's EQ'd to Oratory1990's target).

20200303_191039.jpg

Note this is not the stock cable. I wanted a balanced cable to using with my ES100 and found this one on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZQD54XR

I paid £83 for the Starfields (also from Amazon), so total cost was under £97.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Periodic Audio Be. I very much recommend it. Often sold at 40% off.

Asylum Seeker

Moondrop Starfields arrived today from China. I've had quick listen without EQ and I like them (I have my MEEAudio Pinnacle P1's EQ'd to Oratory1990's target).

View attachment 52741

Note this is not the stock cable. I wanted a balanced cable to using with my ES100 and found this one on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZQD54XR

I paid £83 for the Starfields (also from Amazon), so total cost was under £97.
Looking to get the same cable. You happy with it?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
https://www.dropbox.com/s/txsgqilavlt2iyr/Periodic Audio Be.pdf?dl=0
This is junk regardless of what target curve you subscribe to. Even at half price, it's a bad deal.
If you read the raw response it's not that great sure. But not garbage. The 1-4khz range resembles classic diffuse field targets which is very accurate and I prefer over Harman. The high frequency peak is dependent to the tips and individual's canal volume, which can also be tamed using foam tips. The bass tho is a very emphasized bass with bleed into the mid range. That's the reason why it's not great. But all in all it's not really that bad.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've also been considering the ER2XR; however, in the UK, they are twice the cost of the Starfields and I think that I will find the deep insertion too uncomfortable.

I haven't confirmed this, but I've heard that they now ship with additional 2 flange tips that don't insert as deep.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't confirmed this, but I've heard that they now ship with additional 2 flange tips that don't insert as deep.

I'm having the opposite problem with the Moondrop Starfields. They have quite shallow insertion (a point noted by Crinacle in his review) and they pop out occasionally with the Inairs foam tips i'm using (Inairs are similar in most respects to Comply, but cheaper and slightly shorter).

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To my eyes, it doesn't look very similar between 4k and 17k. Is there a reason why this can be ignored?

The overall tonal balance looks extremely similar, especially in the critical midrange. Except for 12k and above, the treble differences are only a few dB, and measurements up in the high treble tend to be less precise because of differences in insertion depth, ear canal anatomy and ear tip material.

For perspective, here it is compared to a Harman inspired earphone, where differences in bass and mids are clearly visible and I would guess audible.

graph (1).png

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

The Moondrop Starfields, Tin T3 and TFZ T2 Galaxy are now all in the house...

BLON BL-03 - I like the shape and build. Cable, not good, not bad. Included eartips, awful. Good fitment is not straightforward or immediate. Sonically, its biggest faux pas is the prominent mid-bass hump which can, with some music, distract.

Last edited:
Top Bottom