• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objectively measured/designed headphones?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Robbo99999 I am on a Mac, but have an RME ADI-2 DAC. I don't think Oratory has provided RME specific settings, but I think I can get away with setting some of them. I was thinking of starting with bands 4, 5, and 6. Plus the EQ -7dB. I don't mind the extra bass. Just have to read the manual and figure out how to set those. Thanks so much for all the help, by the way.

If you look at the PEQ settings for your measurement of choice https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results including Oratory - you will note the first 5 of the 10 PEQ settings are the prime ones, the second 5 are the secondary "smoothers" You might apply the first 5, or maybe use the heaviest of the fixed band EQ frequencies in the table below PEQ.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Robbo99999 I am on a Mac, but have an RME ADI-2 DAC. I don't think Oratory has provided RME specific settings, but I think I can get away with setting some of them. I was thinking of starting with bands 4, 5, and 6. Plus the EQ -7dB. I don't mind the extra bass. Just have to read the manual and figure out how to set those. Thanks so much for all the help, by the way.
Ah, you'll have to research which programs you can use for applying parametric filters then, or someone else who knows what's available on a MAC can answer.
If you look at the PEQ settings for your measurement of choice https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results including Oratory - you will note the first 5 of the 10 PEQ settings are the prime ones, the second 5 are the secondary "smoothers" You might apply the first 5, or maybe use the heaviest of the fixed band EQ frequencies in the table below PEQ.
I'd be a bit wary of using Jaakkopasanen's settings for Oratory Measurements because I'm not certain that the parametric filters are exactly the same as those ones used by Oratory? So it could give you different results to just using the parametric filters that Oratory lists. Until you (we) know otherwise @HooStat I'd make sure you're copying the parametric filters from Oratory's pdf files at the link I gave you earlier.
EDIT: I also recommend using all of Oratory's filters rather than just some of them, because they combine together to make the Total EQ Curve and affect each other cumulatively.....there is room for customisation of the filters though, but normally by just adjusting the Gain of the Low Shelf Bass Filter and perhaps the High Shelf Filter if one exists for a given headphone.....also on his most recent EQ's he lists which filters you can adjust to morph the headphone to your own taste, even filters beyond just the normal Shelf Filters.....this is a new development from him.....I suggest you take a good look at his pdf files rather than diving into Jaakkopasanen's stuff that Jimbob linked.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, you'll have to research which programs you can use for applying parametric filters then, or someone else who knows what's available on a MAC can answer.

I'd be a bit wary of using Jaakkopasanen's settings for Oratory Measurements because I'm not certain that the parametric filters are exactly the same as those ones used by Oratory? So it could give you different results to just using the parametric filters that Oratory lists. Until you (we) know otherwise @HooStat I'd make sure you're copying the parametric filters from Oratory's pdf files at the link I gave you earlier.
EDIT: I also recommend using all of Oratory's filters rather than just some of them, because they combine together to make the Total EQ Curve and affect each other cumulatively.....there is room for customisation of the filters though, but normally by just adjusting the Gain of the Low Shelf Bass Filter and perhaps the High Shelf Filter if one exists for a given headphone.....also on his most recent EQ's he lists which filters you can adjust to morph the headphone to your own taste, even filters beyond just the normal Shelf Filters.....this is a new development from him.....I suggest you take a good look at his pdf files rather than diving into Jaakkopasanen's stuff that Jimbob linked.

I think you misunderstand his problem. he is using the limited band eq on the RME (I think its 6?) - he cant apply the full 10 point PEQ . Hence me saying using the prime (read biggest) adjustments - the Jaako being a way of easily seeing them.

Yes, finding software to do more comprehensive eq at source might be better.

You do realise there is more on this earth than Mr Oratory, and deviation from his specific EQ (even in the treble!!!!) might well give a perfectly satisfactory result?

Last edited:
OP
HooStat

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks -- I think the Neumann is pretty simple. Cut the bass a small bit (or not). Boost 1k to 3k. I am not looking for perfection here, at least not yet. The RME is a PITA to program, it seems.

Doing more listening, I really do like the sound of these. Not that I have any gold standard to which I can compare. My only complaint is long-term comfort.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know you said non-IEMs, but I had to give a mention to Periodic Audio which follow this curve out of the box.

https://periodicaudio.com/

They still benefit from a little EQ but they don't need a lot in my experience. I do miss the extension up top that my S400's have but these are great to seal out the world at the office, on a plane, etc.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you misunderstand his problem. he is using the limited band eq on the RME (I think its 6?) - he cant apply the full 10 point PEQ . Hence me saying using the prime (read biggest) adjustments - the Jaako being a way of easily seeing them.

Yes, finding software to do more comprehensive eq at source might be better.

You do realise there is more on this earth than Mr Oratory, and deviation from his specific EQ (even in the treble!!!!) might well give a perfectly satisfactory result?
Thanks -- I think the Neumann is pretty simple. Cut the bass a small bit (or not). Boost 1k to 3k. I am not looking for perfection here, at least not yet. The RME is a PITA to program, it seems.

Doing more listening, I really do like the sound of these. Not that I have any gold standard to which I can compare. My only complaint is long-term comfort.
Yeah, use software EQ if you can, no reason to limit yourself to 6 EQ Filters if you don't need to. Oratory has for some headphones done 6 band EQ's for the RME, likely not for your Neumann, but I haven't looked. In fact, you could ask him on reddit if he would do you a 6 band EQ for the Neumann - he'd probably say yes and post up a new pdf with all the EQ settings. Considering he of course has a copy of the measurements of the Neumann, he'll be able to do an EQ even if he doesn't have the headphone......although thinking about it he might not want to publish it if he can't listen/test his EQ....but he might issue it anyway or at the least he might just give you a personal copy of the EQ without publishing it publicly.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/

EDIT: actually, I could probably have a go at doing a 6 filter EQ for the Neumann from Oratory's measurements, but might not be till the weekend I could do that, but possibly before.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

EDIT: actually, I could probably have a go at doing a 6 filter EQ for the Neumann from Oratory's measurements, but might not be till the weekend I could do that, but possibly before.
That is very kind of you, but you don't have to go out of your way. I think the RME is 5 band, plus a low and high shelf? I think that is one of the reasons Oratory has been doing them specifically for the RME.

SpaceMonkey

Anyone following exact EQ adjustments done by any reputable measurements guys is deluding themselves. Any target done in the industry is an average. So ideally one just has to do adjustments for their own hearing.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Over-ear closed following Harman leaves only one option: K371.
It has some minor niggles but what headphone hasn't ?
HD600 is open and only follows Harman from 100Hz upwards and lacks the low bass boost Harman curve is famous for.
Still an excellent headphone and IMO one of the flattest affordable ones around but not suited for portable and plane duties as the OP asked for.

NDH20 does not follow Harman. It is overly bassy and too little 3khHz presence.
Oppo pm-3 is very good. Sadly it's hard to get now. The original model of NDH20, hd630 actually does follow harman quite nicely a bit on the dark side but good 3khz response.

Reactions: PSO

SpaceMonkey

Oppo pm-3 is very good. Sadly it's hard to get now. The original model of NDH20, hd630 actually does follow harman quite nicely a bit on the dark side but good 3khz response.
I had both Oppo PM3 and Nad HP50. Much better build quality than Nad, but for me Oppo had a peak in HF which I found annoying and I sold it to a friend. So last time I checked used PM3s can be as high as what i sold mine for NEW :) .

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I had both Oppo PM3 and Nad HP50. Much better build quality than Nad, but for me Oppo had a peak in HF which I found annoying and I sold it to a friend. So last time I checked used PM3s can be as high as what i sold mine for NEW :) .
Mine is even a little tad dark. Maybe it's due to that our pinnaes are different.

3125b

Major Contributor
How many bands can Equalizer APO actually manage? The most I've seen is like 130, more would probably not make any difference. I'm just wondering.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
How many bands can Equalizer APO actually manage? The most I've seen is like 130, more would probably not make any difference. I'm just wondering.
The graphic one can have many many points. But it will be very slow too.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is very kind of you, but you don't have to go out of your way. I think the RME is 5 band, plus a low and high shelf? I think that is one of the reasons Oratory has been doing them specifically for the RME.
Yeah, it's no trouble, I enjoy doing them, so I'll do one for you. Skimming very quickly all of Oratory's RME EQ's just now suggest RME is 5 Filters of any choice and then a Low Shelf Filter & a High Shelf Filter. Yeah, I'll give it a go after work one day if I finish early or at the weekend. I use REW to do it in terms of importing the exact measurement from Oratory, so it'll be accurate to the Harman Curve if 5 filters + Low & High Shelf is enough to get the job done, and I'll show you a pic of the EQ'd Curve so you can see what I've done.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

Yeah, it's no trouble, I enjoy doing them, so I'll do one for you. Skimming very quickly all of Oratory's RME EQ's just now suggest RME is 5 Filters of any choice and then a Low Shelf Filter & a High Shelf Filter. Yeah, I'll give it a go after work one day if I finish early or at the weekend. I use REW to do it in terms of importing the exact measurement from Oratory, so it'll be accurate to the Harman Curve if 5 filters + Low & High Shelf is enough to get the job done, and I'll show you a pic of the EQ'd Curve so you can see what I've done.

Well, thank you very much! Now the pressure is on me to try and learn how to program the RME! :)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There isnt a day goes by when I dont curse Focal for not letting Drop sell the Elex back into EU/UK.

I have heard that Elear with Clear pads are virtually identical to Elex
da6d16bf68422e435b59ca33f81e787f067ebd03.png

Too bad they are $190 :eek:

One can always boost the highs with the Elear using the Dekoni elite velour pads
https://dekoniaudio.com/so-you-want-some-focal-measurements-with-the-dekoni-audio-ear-pads/

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, thank you very much! Now the pressure is on me to try and learn how to program the RME! :)
No problem, it doesn't matter if you don't like the EQ, like people say the Harman Headphone Curve doesn't fit everybody due to HRTF differences amoungst the population....and I'm just taking someone's measurement and EQ'ing it to that. Once you've learned how to program your RME....that's a positive thing, means you can mould the headphone to your taste, and any future headphones you buy, it's all a bonus! I'll message you once I've done it.

Top Bottom