• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objective-oriented Audio Manufacturers

Zensō

Major Contributor
I thought it would be interesting to compile a list of manufacturers who base their product designs and marketing primarily on sound science and measurable attributes (sans snake oil). I’ll start a short list here, please add more if you’re so inclined. Thanks!

JDS Labs
Topping
RME
Benchmark
Genelec
SMSL
Geshelli
Blue Jeans Cable
March~Audio

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Harman International
NAD
Rotel
Schiit (with the caveat, they have their feet in both sides of the pool).

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ascend Acoustics. Even though Amir did not like how some of their speakers measured, Ascend Acoustics has been providing measurements on their site for many, many years.

For example, http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340mmeas.html

It's too bad most other speaker manufacturers are unwilling to provide the measurements we hope they've been taking of their products before releasing them.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hypex and Purifi.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Denon seem to be up for objective enquiry.
Buchadt with their latest active speakers.
Neumann stuff in genral.
Velodyne and rythmic subwoofers.

ctbarker32

I would think Emotiva should be added. Given their very budget minded focus, they are very engineering oriented. Also, I think KEF is very research oriented as well? I am also happy with newcomer Digital Amp Company - Cherry Amps.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since we're talking about marketing primarily based on measurable attributes, I'll add PSI Audio. But I have no ability to know whether they're doing a good job or not.

Willem

Major Contributor
Traditionally Quad were a very engineering/science based company under Peter Walker. This has changed a bit (they now offer cables and some retro gear as well), but even so, the great old designs like the current dumping amplifiers and the electrostatic speakers can still be had, and are in my view still what sets this brand apart from many others. That, and their great service department in the UK and solid distributors in many other countries (e.g. the Netherlands).

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is one interesting question about measurable attributes. Does it matter if someone prefer few specific measurable attributes and focus on them?
Like big speakers, which don't measure flat on axis at 1 m, but measure well somewhere else or something else? Like big Dulavy, for example...

Top Bottom