• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objective $5000 Full Range Speaker Recommendation

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two simple questions:
  1. What is the best objectively measuring full range speaker, new or used, I could get for $5000 a pair?
  2. Would they best a pair of Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversaries? (See subjective and objective review here.)
Thanks,
Martin

dfuller

Major Contributor
Seconding the KH310. Love mine. That said buy a pair used for like 3200 and use the rest for subs.

Alfa1

Revel F208 or Kef R11 are good obvious choices. A less common choice, but with great measurements and high praise from James Larson at Audioholics, and a very cool modern industrial design, is the Definitive Technology Demand D15 (or D17 assuming it measures as well or better). All of these appear to measure better than the VR-5.
Demand D15.jpg

Streamc

Revel F208 or Kef R11 are good obvious choices. A less common choice, but with great measurements and high praise from James Larson at Audioholics, and a very cool modern industrial design, is the Definitive Technology Demand D15 (or D17 assuming it measures as well or better). All of these appear to measure better than the VR-5. View attachment 138116
Very cool but where is sub 100Hz?

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is your definition of 'full range'? My main thought whenever I hear this is to factor in a subwoofer (or two)...

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Infinity IL60 (with verification of internal amp first)

OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since you didn't specify a +/- dB, every speaker ever made qualifies. :)

Ideally +/-3dB.

The published specs of my VR-4 Gen III HSE speakers:
Frequency Response: 20-30 kHz, +/- 2 dB, 16 Hz-40 kHz –6 dB, (+/- 1dB at midband).

While I know those specs are likely exaggerated I can tell you they have no problem hitting low bass with authority.

Published specs for the VR-5 Anniversaries:
Frequency Response: 20Hz-70 kHz, +/- 4 dB (30Hz-30 kHz +/- 2 dB)

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My definition is 20Hz-20kHz in-room without a subwoofer.

I think you'll struggle to find any speakers within your budget that meet this. I don't think anything mentioned so far in this thread does.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ideally +/-3dB.

The published specs of my VR-4 Gen III HSE speakers:
Frequency Response: 20-30 kHz, +/- 2 dB, 16 Hz-40 kHz –6 dB, (+/- 1dB at midband).

While I know those specs are likely exaggerated I can tell you they have no problem hitting low bass with authority.

Published specs for the VR-5 Anniversaries:
Frequency Response: 20Hz-70 kHz, +/- 4 dB (30Hz-30 kHz +/- 2 dB)

Maybe you shouldn't do anything and spend the money on something else.

Dueprocess

Maybe the 10inch, ported JTRs (RM)? They are narrow directivity, though -- not sure what your preference is. There is a review for the 12inch ported model on avnirvana, and FR / directivity, etc. looks good.

Top Bottom