• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nyquist/Shannon bashing

Koeitje

Major Contributor
If you can somehow prove that the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem is wrong you'd win a nobel prize in mathematics, because you'd rewrite the rules.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do they have another page that says of course the world is flat, otherwise you would fall of if you went to far?

What gets me about the stair steps thing is that even without the NS theorem it should immediately be obvious that using a simple algorithm to smooth the waveform would be a lot closer than stair steps, probably always be more accurate than not using it. You have to be an egregious lazy idiot to not make that leap, and fall back on old fake news.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Indeed. It would be so spectacular that they'd institute a Nobel prize in mathematics just for you.
Haha, a Fields Medal then ;).

PaulD

I was so annoyed by it that I contacted them saying it was misinformation masquerading as fact and pointed them to Monty's video about how DA/AD actually works... I hope it makes a difference, I also pointed them to Nyquist-Shannon etc, but the contact page only allows a 400 character message...

Here's the Monty video, just because...

JSmith

Master Contributor
1620347916775.png

JSmith

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At the bottom it does state that the original article was published in 2000, but it also mentions at the top that it was updated in 2021.

Top Bottom