• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NX4 DSD sounds different from different sources, does source matter?

ParticularFix

So I recently posted about my extremely positive experience with the Topping NX4 DSD. Sometimes, what I like to do is just listen to youtube music videos, for example when studying and I don't really care about sound quality in those moments. One thing that has been very noticeable is the dramatic change in sound signature from different sources. For example, it sounds very similar (still slightly different) when using my laptop and my phone, but when I connect it to a music player (Shanling M3X) it sounds significantly brighter and noticeably louder using the same music and connected via USB. Overall, I prefer how it sounds from my Google Pixel phone. It is very controlled and gentle sounding. With the music player as I mentioned, it can be unbearable at times. So my question is, does source matter, or does it maybe have to do with settings that would make a significant difference?

Has Amir done any tests on source differences?

Top Bottom