• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nvidia Shield on Android 11

holbob

Since I can't get Qobuz to run on my NVidia Shield any other way than to stream it via Bubble Upnp, I decided to load Amazon Music Unlimited, and am currently trialling it. IDK if anyone else has any experience with Amazon Music, but sonically it seems much inferior to Qobuz even Qobuz being streamed to the NVidia. Anyone else think maybe Amazon's music offering though ostensibly lossless on this platform is just not up to snuff?

I use the native Qobuz app on my phone/tablet to stream to nvidia shield. Couldn't be easier.

Trev_VM

I plan on buying the NVDIA TV shield pro. My question is whether I can use USB android player pro when streaming with YouTube Music ?

Trev_VM

if anyone would help, it would be fantastic :) i'm trying to determine, when using YouTube Music, if I can route audio through UAPP? thank you :)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MacCali

Major Contributor
A question for the owners, as I have continued to expand my HT experience I am interested in purchasing one of these.

Reason being streaming from my tv is far less immersive or entertaining as my BDP. I never owned a BDP so I didn’t know it was worth it.

Regardless paying for about 5 services to stream would be nice to use that for my AVR or processor without that compressed trash being output by the TV and also being limited to 5.1.

Can I run my 7.x.4 using the shield and my processor?

Is the quality going to at least be better than direct streaming or equal to a bdp?

Really would appreciate your feedback, thanks.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A question for the owners, as I have continued to expand my HT experience I am interested in purchasing one of these.

Reason being streaming from my tv is far less immersive or entertaining as my BDP. I never owned a BDP so I didn’t know it was worth it.

Regardless paying for about 5 services to stream would be nice to use that for my AVR or processor without that compressed trash being output by the TV and also being limited to 5.1.

Is the quality going to at least be better than direct streaming or equal to a bdp?

Really would appreciate your feedback, thanks.
All the services compress their audio and video streams so unless the shield supports some sort of newer codec that the streaming services happen to be using and your TV doesn't it will likely be the same. I think blue ray disks are the only medium that is lossless for video.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Yes. Depending on the streaming service and the level of your subscription. Some levels of subscription don’t include Atmos and Hdr/Vision. But in general yes.

MacCali

Major Contributor
All the services compress their audio and video streams so unless the shield supports some sort of newer codec that the streaming services happen to be using and your TV doesn't it will likely be the same. I think blue ray disks are the only medium that is lossless for video.
So are the codecs for NAS or drive movies or what is it? Not sure why it would support all those codecs if it’s only for ripped movies but that maybe why.

I will check some reviews and see what people say. Clearly it had an okay dac but the dac doesn’t matter to me as I am trying to use digital hdmi to feed my processor.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So are the codecs for NAS or drive movies or what is it? Not sure why it would support all those codecs if it’s only for ripped movies but that maybe why.

I will check some reviews and see what people say. Clearly it had an okay dac but the dac doesn’t matter to me as I am trying to use digital hdmi to feed my processor.
I may not quite understand your question so will try to answer what I think you asked. Feel free to tell me if I'm wrong. The way the movie file is compressed, transmitted, and then uncompressed for viewing can by lossless or lossy depending on the codec used. Just like mp3 vs FLAC. Most of the streaming services use a lossy codec to compress and stream the videos to you over the internet to save money and bandwidth. These will likely be the same codec whether it's streaming to your smart TV or Nvidia shield unless the streaming app has a feature that allows to prefer a certain codec in over another if the client device supports it.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I may not quite understand your question so will try to answer what I think you asked. Feel free to tell me if I'm wrong. The way the movie file is compressed, transmitted, and then uncompressed for viewing can by lossless or lossy depending on the codec used. Just like mp3 vs FLAC. Most of the streaming services use a lossy codec to compress and stream the videos to you over the internet to save money and bandwidth. These will likely be the same codec whether it's streaming to your smart TV or Nvidia shield unless the streaming app has a feature that allows to prefer a certain codec in over another if the client device supports it.
Yes that would be an issue all in itself and my main concern. There’s no additional processing?

I mean do you have a HT setup at home or an AVR that it is hooked up too. When you stream to your AVR does any codecs pop up? Or what does it typically say.

I’m just curious as to why it supports all these different codecs. Does it work a nas or hard drive that used ripped movies? I see the USB ports, is that the only time those codecs actually function?

Cause all in all I am summing up what you are saying and basically that means if it’s streamed it’s going to be crap and there’s no way to upgrade it. My bdp also had streaming services and I’ve never tried those but I am guessing it will be the same results if what you are saying is accurate and I don’t doubt that.

I guess the only way out of this pickle is getting that foolish expensive server with movies that those rich people have but I don’t really want to spend like 2-3 grand. Forgot the name of that company. *Kaleidescape. 7000 grand >_<

Edit: I think I will get the Zidoo Z1000 pro and rent movies from red box or bd and rip it and have it upscale cause audio between 4k and bd are exactly the same according to current understanding in audio output.

Seems like the upscaling on that unit is better than the shield

Last edited:
Top Bottom