• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nura Nuraphone

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone tried these? It is unusual to see a company take such a different approach to design for a product like headphones and they seem to have interesting ideas.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It’s an Australian product, designed right here in melbourne.
A few people on SNA think they are really good. I haven’t heard them yet but aim to soon

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was not the N90Q from AKG the 1st example with the same technology ?
https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Reference-Auto-Calibrating-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B019MA5SGE

The N90Qs used auto calibration technology and DSP to offer cross feed and surround modes in addition to regular left/right but in terms of construction and driver arrangements they are quite a conventional design. Nura seems to have a unique hybrid over ear/ear bud design. I was wondering if anyone had tried them and had any opinion on the ergonomics of the design and how comfortable it is.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this is where expectation management and hype can collide with reality.

I have never listened to the Nuraphones but I do listen to the AKG N90Q with auto calibration and DSP. I have no idea how relevant this is to Nura but I will offer a few observations on the AKG's. The tech does work, and works well, but it is not a night and day difference and it is much more polishing an already very good headphone. Even without auto calibration the sound is excellent, using the calibration system does make the sound slightly cleaner and sharper but it is a subtle difference and certainly doesn't transform anything.

Unfortunately marketing people often get carried away and go to far in their claims.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
As I posted yesterday, the French's review highlights a 'feature' of that Nuraphone, which cuts me out in putting it in my short list: the fact that the 'neutral' reproduction is not available at all. The available modes go always thru EQ. That is a big limit to me.

Top Bottom