• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nuclear Fusion ... Interested? ... This is it, this is the spot to explore ...

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My mistake, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the links.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
You drive an EV car?
hmm, perhaps I misread the quote then; thought @Frank Dernie was referring to PVs.
About 5200 watts worth of PVs here in a net-metering setup, which meets our needs; banking electricity most of the year.

DSC_1532 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
1588370239425.png

Nope, no EV -- we used to have a hybrid; Mrs. H loved it and it served admirably (and economically in every sense of the word) for 246k miles (396 km). After eleven amazingly trouble-free years, it succumbed to rust.

025a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

For a variety of reasons, we're both leery of pure-play EVs (mostly range anxiety related... umm... anxieties) but my son & law and I will go halfsies on a Cybertruck when & if they actually reach fruition. For our needs, access to one of those will be ideal. Neither of us needs a truck "full time" but both of us need one now and again -- and we both have plenty of PV capacity at our homes to help with the charging.

1588370118626.png

(daughter & son-in-law's PV array)

As an aside, his father recently got a Tesla 3. So far, he loves it.

Last edited:
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Very cool. And lovely countryside.

I was simply curious if you were also driving an EV, in addition to the solar panels on your roof. You didn't misread.

Last edited:
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor

In your first link there are several videos.
In your second link that one is almost an hour and half long.

I will report tomorrow or the day after after watching them all in their entirety.
I got time, I'm mainly staying safe @ home, where I can expand my brain for free.

I will never lie to you. You have my word on that.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
the IAEA is less ambitious these days

“A prototype of a fusion reactor (DEMO) is expected to be built by 2040. Electricity generation and exploitation is also expected to take place in the second half of the century, depending on funding and technical advancement.”

https://www.iaea.org/topics/energy/fusion/faqs
Now it's only 20 years away. I am afraid the physics of gravitational fusion will never be solved on earth. I hope I am wrong.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Now it's only 20 years away. I am afraid the physics of gravitational fusion will never be solved on earth. I hope I am wrong.

That is magnetic field containment. Nothing to do with gravity.

Also, the IAEA FAQ is wrong about fusion reactors creating weapons.

The neutron bombardment process (resulting from deuterium fusion) is the exact same process used to enrich weapons grade Plutonium.
It will only be correct if the fusion process is the one that only uses pure Hydrogen to form Helium.

kevinh

Getting more energy out of a fusion reaction than was put in has already been achieved, but not in a way that is viable for commercial energy production: https://arstechnica.com/science/201...entists-get-more-energy-out-than-fuel-put-in/

Your point? If a process isn't usable what good is it? Molten Salt Thorium reactors have been run for years back in the 60's but was dropped due to the Military desire for materials for use in weapons, Thorius Reactors don't provide those materials. So development was stopped, even though it is far safer and more plentiful.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You drive an EV?
PMFJI, I mainly drive a plug in hybrid with a 35 mile range. It means I don't have range anxiety on my rare long trips and around home I charge it when the sun is shining. I put petrol in it (it takes about 10 gallons) about 3 times per year.
No all electric I have looked into suits my lifestyle.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor

I watched some from your first link.
And I watched the other from your second link.

Are they related to nuclear fusion in your opinion?
That's what I like in you Ray, your off topic data sense of humor.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Are they related to nuclear fusion in your opinion?

In that some of them will give "evidence" why the Sun is not fusion powered, yes.

The second link appeals to me, especially the proposed electrically created Martian geological formations, the others, I've only skimmed.

They cover a wide range of cosmological targets.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fusion will take so long to happen that we will be swamped with PV long before that

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
In that some of them will give "evidence" why the Sun is not fusion powered, yes.

The second link appeals to me, especially the proposed electrically created Martian geological formations, the others, I've only skimmed.

I know all of that Ray, but we're distancing ourselves from the prime "illuminati set of controls" ... figure of speech for 'nuclear fusion', our primary objective. ...Engineering in concrete form and scientific analysis and experiments...both from Tokamak and Stellarator plasma containment techniques.

* Mars, Sun, Neptune, Jupiter, Moon, Pluto, Saturn, ... stars they all orbit in space, not on Earth. The Sun - in fact, our whole solar system - orbits around the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. But that's for another thread about space, infinity, planets, stars, intergallactic high skies ... Planetology, Astonomy and Cosmology.

⚛ NUCLEAR FUSION (Energy on Earth) ... man-made.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor

Last edited:
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
The Bible / Inertial Fusion Energy Technologies (Chapter 3)

https://www.nap.edu/read/18289/chapter/5

When you start reading it you would think that you are reading about Energy Loudspeakers technology by the NRC (National Research Council) in Canada.

But it isn't ...
The environment, health, and safety issues associated with plant operations and maintenance of an IFE power plant are expected to be substantially similar to those of current fission nuclear power plants. While fusion reactors will not have to deal with nuclear fuels and their resulting fission products, high levels of radiation and large amounts of radioactive materials will have to be safely handled. These will come from activation of the structural materials of the reactor and activated corrosion products in the coolant streams, as well as the presence of tritium. Fusion reactors will have to deal with significantly larger quantities of tritium than do fission reactors, as is discussed in the section “Tritium Production, Recovery, and Management,” above.

Tachyon88

Yes, its a complete paradigm shift of how you look at the solar system and the universe and it's testable, which is what the safire project is doing. So far they have had great success in explaining features of the sun that is not explainable with current popular theory. It also could explain why fusion energy is always a decade or so away, because they're working on an incorrect premise. Meanwhile that team is trying to develop a commercial product from the electric sun model, to potentially clean up nuclear waste and create sustainable energy with zero byproducts.

Either way, I hope they can get fusion energy to work despite nature probably working differently.

Last edited:
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Because power matters ...

⭐ Bonus (quick off topic): Because audio matters ...

Because fusion; clean music, clean energy, clean nuclear, clean light, clean sound quality matter.

Top Bottom