• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nuclear Fusion ... Interested? ... This is it, this is the spot to explore ...

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Tokamak ...

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
From last year ... very short read.
https://www.iter.org/newsline/-/3297

Precise control engineering is key.

"Peter de Vries, Scientific Coordinator in the Stability & Control Section led by Joe Snipes, compares the problem to playing mini golf and trying to putt the ball up to a hole on top of a mound. "If you apply too much force you go over the hole and down the other side of the mound. If you apply too little force, the ball doesn't reach the top of the mound and rolls back down. This analogy gives you an idea of how delicate it is for the plasma control system to adjust the external heat."

Tachyon88

7% electrical input for 100% thermal output, excess electricy can be fed back in the system and the hydrogen reusable.
Zero harmful byproducts.
Speeds up nuclear radiation from nuclear waste.
Created elements.
Commercial products in development.

Last edited:

kevinh

Controlled fusion (as opposed to the uncontrolled fusion in a hydrogen bomb) has already happened many times on Earth. The problem is getting more energy out than you put in.

Very aware of that that is why it won't happen in my lifetime. If you don't produce more energy than you consume it is a process that doesn't matter to energy production. That is why Liquid Salt thoriun reactors are a practical solution for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: JRS

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very aware of that that is why it won't happen in my lifetime. If you don't produce more energy than you consume it is a process that doesn't matter to energy production. That is why Liquid Salt thoriun reactors are a practical solution for the foreseeable future.

Getting more energy out of a fusion reaction than was put in has already been achieved, but not in a way that is viable for commercial energy production: https://arstechnica.com/science/201...entists-get-more-energy-out-than-fuel-put-in/

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
This is interesting; many countries are working together (and independently too) on nuclear fusion. And very true, it requires a tremendous amount of external energy to produce a tremendous amount of internal energy and back to the outside.

The huge amounts of money required is also a hurdle in several phases of development and testing. ...Financial support and investments from investors...us and the people working for us.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
And true too; they keep mentioning 30 years away.
They mentioned the year 2025 for further developments, and the year 2035 for closer to results. 5 and 15 years away respectively.

Will it happen in our lifetime? Not mine but perhaps yours?

* By the way anyone here who saw the documentary "Planet of the Humans" for free on YouTube? It's about renewable energies. I'm talking sources of energies here in their efficiency and viability today and into the future for both rich and poor communities of our planet Earth. Everyone has been talking about recently, right behind the pandemic.

Google it, it's free on YouTube (100 minutes of it), the full doc.
Sadly they omitted (by purpose I'm 99.999% certain) to mention nuclear energy.

The latest ... only read if renewable energies is of interest ... if not don't read the two articles below that I did read:
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/04/3...humans-reaction-to-planet-of-the-humans-film/

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2020-05-01/the-bizarre-blindspot-in-planet-of-the-humans/

Because energy matters.

And to save you the task of searching ...

Some people they don't want you to see it. Over 5 million people already saw it, including me, some members of my family, and few more. It's all about some sources of energies (solar, wind, ...) and controlled management in a sane environment.

Last edited:

Tachyon88

Nuclear Fusion is just another word for "job security". I personally think it's a dead end because they're trying to replicate something that probably doesnt work the way they think it does.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fusion - Energy of the future and it always will be...

I've been hearing nuclear fusion as a viable power source is just around the corner since I was in the 9th grade - 46 years ago... I'll believe it when I see it.

In the mean time we desperately need a more efficient way of harvesting and storing the energy from the fusion happening 150 million km / 94 million miles from here.

Martin

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Nuclear Fusion is just another word for "job security". I personally think it's a dead end because they're trying to replicate something that probably doesnt work the way they think it does.

Science is the exploration of the unknown, the search, the quest, the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

It's our job to know about our existence (provenance) and our limits (distance in space and time...dimension). Security comes last with the human species. And perhaps you are right (dead end) and perhaps not.

Me I think it can be done; by smartly using the sun energy to alimentating the nuclear fusion special chamber. By concentrating it in forms of extremely powerful lasers and magnets. But I'm less than versed on the matter, far away from knowledgeable.

That's why I'm here, to explore the frontiers of learning knowledge.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I've been hearing nuclear fusion as a viable power source is just around the corner since I was in the 9th grade - 46 years ago... I'll believe it when I see it.

In the mean time we desperately need a more efficient way of harvesting and storing the energy from the fusion happening 150 million km / 94 million miles from here.

Martin

Martin, that's a nice project to work on, an honourable job in my opinion.

Harvesting the sun is also ... sound ethical ...

Tachyon88

Science is the exploration of the unknown, the search, the quest, the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

It's our job to know about our existence (provenance) and our limits (distance in space and time...dimension). Security comes last with the human species. And perhaps you are right (dead end) and perhaps not.

Me I think it can be done; by smartly using the sun energy to alimentating the nuclear fusion special chamber. By concentrating it in forms of extremely powerful lasers and magnets. But I'm less than versed on the matter, far away from knowledgeable.

That's why I'm here, to explore the frontiers of learning knowledge.

I agree with all of this. I'm just saying that if our understanding of the sun is wrong.....well then this is a lot of time, money and intellectual resources for not. I think we are at the sunk cost fallacy at this point though.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have a few of those. Overall my annual electricity is now free, it took 7 years to amortise the capital cost.
Yeah, ours, too.
We built the house (well... had it built) so I actually never really thought about the amortization :)
I like the idea of using as much energy as possible that doesn't produce CO2 in its generation, but 1) that's just me and 2) I try not to get all like a vegan about it. ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Yeah, ours, too.
We built the house (well... had it built) so I actually never really thought about the amortization :)
I like the idea of using as much energy as possible that doesn't produce CO2 in its generation, but 1) that's just me and 2) I try not to get all like a vegan about it. ;)

You drive an EV?

Top Bottom