• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Now that I have a pair of HD560S I'm considering downsizing my pc speakers config

LYDF

Hello to all of you,

I've recently discovered this forum and albeit I'm nowhere as knowledgeable as you, I'm trying my best to learn more every day, lurking here and there.

Now, on to my current dilemma.
I've owned for the past twenty years a set of speakers that many of you know and possessed: the Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 (white model), used primarly as a 2.1.
Due to me not wanting anything on the floor (plus cat hair!), I've wrongly, I know, kept the subwoofer on my desk.
As the titles says, I just bought a pair of HD560S and I'm loving them: compared to the Momentum 2.0 I already owned they are way more comfy and so far they don't seem to wear my ears out even after a prolongued listening session.

So, if all my "serious" listening will be done through this pair of headphones, what is the need for me to have such clutter on my desk?
Would I miss it somehow (or miss having some 100€-ish monitors) if I got rid of this old, bulky system, and get something small and compact (i.e. Creative Pebbles, but I'm open to suggestions) so that I can listen to podcasts/yt videos or anything that doesn't really require a high volume or a good quality cone?

Help me decide :)

Last edited:
OP
L

LYDF

Well, as little as possible I guess, if it's for general audio and such.

OP
L

LYDF

But that's the point: as I've said, I'm not looking for great sounding speakers that occupy significant space (unless somebody makes a valid argument that makes me feel I'll miss something without good monitors), as I've got my headphones already.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Me, I would check out Logitech and buy whatever your willing to budget for.

But I would suggest those Monoprice units I listed, if your willing to budget for them.

OP
L

LYDF

Aside from the fact that those speakers are not available in my country, I find it funny that the thread states "downsizing" and your suggestion is actually the opposite :p

twsecrest

Aside from the fact that those speakers are not available in my country, I find it funny that the thread states "downsizing" and your suggestion is actually the opposite :p
Sense you do not list where you are located, we has no idea what speakers are available to you, in your area.

OP
L

LYDF

Sense you do not list where you are located, we has no idea what speakers are available to you, in your area.
EU.
As I said, I'd prefer to keep it simple and not bulky. For additional clarification, since what is bulky for me might not be for you, the ones you have suggested are.

3125b

Major Contributor
Just for general speech audio type things, any speaker will be fine, Creative is probably not the worst choice in the <50$ range. You could also go for a soundbar if you want to avoid clutter, there are even some than can clip to the screen (Dell has that).
I can't recommend a specific product, only tell you that the Logitech Z120 are every bit as terrible as you'd expect, don't buy those. The Creative T20 are ok, but too expensive new and fairly deep so don't necessarily fit everywhere.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Have a look at the Edifier range (could be over the budget)

Not bad, not super cheap, nice looking, small, available in EU.
Have a listen before buying.
Nice as nearfields, not suited for big rooms.

Last edited:
OP
L

LYDF

Just for general speech audio type things, any speaker will be fine, Creative is probably not the worst choice in the <50$ range. You could also go for a soundbar if you want to avoid clutter, there are even some than can clip to the screen (Dell has that).
I can't recommend a specific product, only tell you that the Logitech Z120 are every bit as terrible as you'd expect, don't buy those. The Creative T20 are ok, but too expensive new and fairly deep so don't necessarily fit everywhere.
I've looked some soundbars too, but as all consumer/amazon mass products it's a jungle and really hard to figure if the price/performance is fair.
Creative T20 are as expensive as a pair of Edifier R980T (70€), which at that price range might just be flat better I guess.
I'll keep looking...

Have a look at the Edifier range (could be over the budget)

Not bad, not super cheap, nice looking, small, available in EU.
Have a listen before buying.
Nice as nearfields, not suited for big rooms.
Yes, Edifier are usually over what I've had in mind (maybe only the model I was talking above).
"Try before you buy" is rather impossible, I have zero dedicated stores in my area. :(

Vict0r

I went at something similar, but from the exact opposite side. I used to listen exclusively to higher end headphones. After upgrading my home cinema with room treatment and proper speakers, I "discovered" good speaker audio and decided I wanted a similar experience while sitting behind my PC. I went from crappy pc speakers to balanced iLoud MTM's, DSP room correction and acoustically treated office walls. Now I hardly ever use my headphones anymore and even sold off many of them. I kept a few out of nostalgia or something. No idea. :p Might sell the last ones off too and maybe just keep my HD600. Proper speaker soundstage and center image is very addictive, and headphones just never gave me that "holographic" experience.

As for cheap but decent PC speakers, I hear those Pebbles are okay for the money. Also, check out the Edifier G2000.

edifier-g2000-2.0-box.jpg

You could also go the Chinese T-Amp + second hand pair of budget passives route. This opens up some really decent potential affordable rigs, but they'll be bulkier. Wharfedale speakers could be interesting if you decide to go that route. The Diamond series is cheap (especially second hand) and sounds great. I had a pair of 9.1's in the past and loved them for what they were. Paid $80 for the pair second hand.

wharfedale-diamond-91-speakers-pair-black.jpg

Another option is a pair of Fostex PM0.3. Those are tiny actives with rather decent sound. I can find these locally for around $70 on the second hand market.

maxresdefault-21.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom