• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Novice Circuit Board Surgery

Conmoto22

I want to learn how to diagnose and/or replace circuit board components (capacitors specifically, for now). I have a soldering station, magnifying lenses, multimeter, hands that don’t shake, but ZERO knowledge. Where do I start? I have slight noise in my Emotiva DC-1 DAC Amp (guessing a capacitor) and want to find the culprit and replace it. Maybe replace all capacitors? I read that the originals are “crap”.

Thanks in advance for getting me started.

Rock Rabbit

That's a very bad idea, first make some simple DIY circuits and kits and learn some basic concepts on electronics, static damage, soldering techniques...and electrocution prevention.
Then learn to measure electronic audio devices with simple tests or with free software (REW, RMA) and some cheap DAW.
Only then and with some specific idea (measurable!) to improve a very specific simple problem (electrolytic caps, connectors, cables) you can adventure in a board full of smd ICs and components.
First learn, second learn everyday, ...fix things that are a real problem, if it's working fine do nothing...enjoy the music

OP
Conmoto22

Conmoto22

Thank you! I needed that. I replaced a bulged capacitor on my wine fridge and mistakingly thought I could take on audio equipment. I'll send the DAC/AMP in for professional love and attention and save myself frustration; however, I will dip my toe in the measurement pool as suggested.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Thank you! I needed that. I replaced a bulged capacitor on my wine fridge and mistakingly thought I could take on audio equipment. I'll send the DAC/AMP in for professional love and attention and save myself frustration; however, I will dip my toe in the measurement pool as suggested.
Repairing a circuit board isn't rocket science in itself, but it does take some practice to avoid breaking and or lifting traces on the PCB. As for diagnosing component failure, I wouldn't mess with it unless you are absolutely positive which component is defective, and just as importantly, some idea as to why it might have failed. There is a lot which can be mucked up. ;)

Top Bottom