• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Notre Dame cathedral is on fire!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant that both are sad: cathedral burning AND people injured.

Hundreds of people dying in the Mediterranean sea is a tragedy on another level. News didn't cover it as much.

Tks

Major Contributor
So it was not a tragedy to you? I don't know anything about French politics and mobs, have enough trouble keeping up with USA politics and mobs on a 70-80 hour workweek. But I can empathize with what seems like a tragedy to me if not to you or anyone else. In any event it is clear we have virtually nothing in common so I shall endeavor to not respond to your posts, sorry. - Don

I know this is probably the wrong place and time. But 70 hour work week?! Man of your expertise must be working on cutting edge devices or something if they’re making you work that much :/

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I was amazed that it was burning and burning with no attempt to put it out. Then saw a few people on the balcony next door with a garden hose. Finally the fire truck came with a better water cannon. Why so long? Why not a helicopter with some fire retardant?

You are implying incompetence in the Paris fire brigade. Do you remember your own story on your reading up on a health issue on the internet, where your reading up only helped you to ask the wrong questions to the competent doctor?

Samoyed

At this point, you'd think they could afford a real Modo.
What about a Psuedomodo?

I think the whole thing smacks of aliens and anal probes, but what do I know?

AAA659C9-7DCC-4D6C-8754-57293A0C49DC.jpeg

vert

Forum Donor
Notre-Dame is part of the soul of France. I can't tell you what it meant to my grandmother, for instance, who lived through two world wars and whose family paid such a dear price fighting for freedom. True France of old, high civilization. The France of our current idiot-in-chief who during his campaign, said that French culture doesn't exist, has nothing to do with it. How starkly ironic that the fire to this nearly 1000 icon of the culture-that-doesn't-exist would occur the night of his most important speech since his election, an odd coincidence to say the least.

Willem

Major Contributor
Having read more from professionals commenting on the Paris fire brigade´s work, it is clear they did a brave and amazing job, for which, by the way, they had extensively trained. And unlike some, I admired Macron´s speech with its sense of history and national destiny at a moment of cultural bereavement.

Samoyed

Wow, talk about the fusion of tactical semantic ambiguity and political correctness! As a lawyer, I can only gaze with admiration. ;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone know why there was no fire suppression system in the roof area?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone know why there was no fire suppression system in the roof area?

As far as I understand it, for safety reasons, there was no electricity in the "forest" (the nickname of the wooden structure that held the roof)

As to why the roof collapsed as it did and not the scaffolding, the roof was made of lead (210 tons? quoting from memory). Melting points, melting points, a bit more than 320C vs around 1500C.

As I said earlier, in those cases, apparently, the policy is to work from the inside, for a bunch of reasons, including additional damage caused by water, and also that you don't want to push the fire back inside: that can both increase damage and cause massive bursts and fire expansions because of the typical airflow in those churches.

The airdrop issue has already been covered, the last thing you want in those cases is too hit a critical pillar or face of the building. One other thing is that the water dropping planes are mostly based in Southern France, where forest fires are more frequent. They would have taken several hours to reach the cathedral and did not have enough time to reach Paris, plus no convenient place to fill their tanks. Finally, with fire-fighters inside, it is probably not a good idea to drop 4 tons of water on their heads.

I did find a link to PDF documents by the company that cited its renovation work on the cathedral as a reference. Unfortunately (and unsurprisingly I'd say) those links are dead.

Habu

NDdPL.jpg

Theo

Quite a sad picture. It seems that the cathedral never went through a major fire for its 800 years of existence, including 2 world wars, revolutions, and such! At least, it seems that the structure is ok and the great organ is safe (that's for the audio part of this forum)! Hopefully, it will be as good as new in 5 years!

D

Deleted member 65

I was amazed that it was burning and burning with no attempt to put it out. Then saw a few people on the balcony next door with a garden hose. Finally the fire truck came with a better water cannon. Why so long? Why not a helicopter with some fire retardant?

Trump adressed this as well:

[B]Donald J. Trump[/B]‏Verifierat konto @[B]realDonaldTrump[/B]

So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!

and a timely response from France:

[B]Sécurité Civile Fr[/B]‏ @[B]SecCivileFrance[/B]

Hundreds of firemen of the Paris Fire Brigade are doing everything they can to bring the terrible #NotreDame fire under control. All means are being used, except for water-bombing aircrafts which, if used, could lead to the collapse of the entire structure of the cathedral.

Been there many times, really really sad ... Probably one of the finest organs in the world, Swedish composer Anders Nilsson's piece Mountains was scheduled to be performed. Luckily the organ has survived.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Trump adressed this as well:

[B]Donald J. Trump[/B]‏Verifierat konto @[B]realDonaldTrump[/B]

So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!

and a timely response from France:

[B]Sécurité Civile Fr[/B]‏ @[B]SecCivileFrance[/B]

Hundreds of firemen of the Paris Fire Brigade are doing everything they can to bring the terrible #NotreDame fire under control. All means are being used, except for water-bombing aircrafts which, if used, could lead to the collapse of the entire structure of the cathedral.

Been there many times, really really sad ... Probably one of the finest organs in the world, Swedish composer Anders Nilsson's piece Mountains was scheduled to be performed. Luckily the organ has survived.
Does Trump even know where France is?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Go to Luxembourg, then turn left.

Top Bottom