• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

nothing better than SMSL M10 ?

dave_speed

Dear all,

im lookig for device that has better Headphone out than SMSL M10 but cant find one.
Connectionwise i need USB Input from PC, coax digi our for active speakers and a headphone out.
M10 has it but i cant find something better than this. Checked SMSL and Topping webpage but no success.
As i usually use those devices 15 years or so, my upper limit is 1000 bucks.

I dont need analog outputs other than for the headphone.
Things like DSD or MQA are nice to have, the stuff above is most important.

Any ideas ?

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why not add an headphone AMP?

OP
D

dave_speed

I dont have a M10 currently. And im not sure the best option is to buy a M10 + Headphone Amp.
Maybe there is just an M10 with better Headphone Amp integrated ?

Sukie

Forum Donor
OP
D

dave_speed

Single one preferred but i would also go with 2 seperate one, if cant find a single unit. But they should match visually.
I checked DX7 Pro and DX3 Pro but if i get it right, they dont have a coax digi out.

I need:
Coax Digi Out for existing Active Speakers
USB Input for PC
Headphone Out

I dont need:
Analog outs other than the Headphone Out

Nice to have:
MQA / DSD

Sukie

Forum Donor
I checked DX7 Pro and DX3 Pro but if i get it right, they dont have a coax digi out.

I need:
Coax Digi Out for existing Active Speakers
USB Input for PC
Headphone Out
Why would you need a coax out for active speakers? The DAC converts digital to analogue and so the out from the DAC to the active speaker would be analogue (balanced or unbalanced). That's what the M10 has (and the DX3 pro and DX7 pro).

Veri

Master Contributor
Why would you need a coax out for active speakers? The DAC converts digital to analogue and so the out from the DAC to the active speaker would be analogue (balanced or unbalanced). That's what the M10 has (and the DX3 pro and DX7 pro).
Because the active speakers have a digital input and will digitise analog inputs?

Sukie

Forum Donor
Because the active speakers have a digital input and will digitise analog inputs?
My bad!

But am I correct in thinking that the M10 doesn't have a coax out?

Last edited:

Sukie

Forum Donor
Yes, it looks like it's a typo in SMSL's description... audiophonics lists it as coax "input".
Which leaves @Vini darko's suggestion of a D10s and L30 as a good option. Not sure if there are any DAC/HPA units that have coax out?

OP
D

dave_speed

Thanks to all of you for your help and especially @Vini darko for the proposal.
Its not the same design language for the 2 piecs but it is so close and it meets ALL the techical requirements and the meassurements here look really good. I will buy exactly that combo.

Again, thanks to you guys for helping foreign people like me :)

Top Bottom