• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(not that much) desperate manufacturer needing your advise

I would purchase a boXem product if it was a ...

• 3 to 5 channels Purifi based power-amp with characteristics similar to their current power-amps

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • high performance stereo amp with integrated DAC and quality similar to their current production

Votes: 42 33.3%
  • NC252MP based power amp with all the boXem niceties but less fancy case and reasonable price

Votes: 52 41.3%
  • preamplifier, analog only

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • product that Fred didn't think about (please comment)

Votes: 29 23.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Second for this. With hdmi eARC please:)
would be nice, but -> hdmi licensing = yearly fee (a few k$) + every implementation (a few $cents for every single unit)

@boXem | audio yeah, couldn't find anything on github, either....
so, why complicate things, maybe just go for an all analog pre-amp first, just to complement your existing line-up (keep the design), and then maybe build up on that in the direction of a full blown integrated?

Mal

Stereo amp with integrated USB DAC of similar quality to best cheapo one-box solutions measured by Amir (Topping 10s DAC, Aiyima 07 amp...), integrated power supply, tone controls (Schiit Modi+ level...), USB in for computer, Aux in for CD player, optical in for TV (with ability to switch easily between these inputs...)

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
so, why complicate things, maybe just go for an all analog pre-amp first, just to complement your existing line-up (keep the design), and then maybe build up on that in the direction of a full blown integrated?
The analog preamp is not "that" simple if you want to do a relatively modern one with remote, screen, configurable IOs, ... In fact, an integrated with DAC but without DSP is comparable if not a bit simpler, carries the same "not just a guy with a hammer in his garage" brand image and may meet a larger audience. Thus the poll to add a bit of data in the decision process. ;)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is something with digital processing within reach or is that entirely outside your toolkit?

Dirac boxes seem to be the most attractive offerings right now, specially if there was enough processing headroom for ART / DLBC in the future.

Most of MiniDSP's lineup is kinda outdated processing wise, and only recently they started updating their analogue circuitry.

jools

Forum Donor
I voted for the reasonable NC252 but it's not exactly true. I probably wouldn't buy one now but if it had been available with auto-on when I bought my Audiophonics version, I might well have done. Now I just want it to last because it's all I need. Auto-on would have been nice, though. I think that every time I push the button.

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Is something with digital processing within reach or is that entirely outside your toolkit?

Dirac boxes seem to be the most attractive offerings right now, specially if there was enough processing headroom for ART / DLBC in the future.

Most of MiniDSP's lineup is kinda outdated processing wise, and only recently they started updating their analogue circuitry.
I am a bit careful with Dirac: when I discuss with people who actually tested it, most of them were disappointed. In fact, outside of the high end ones (Trinnov...), the automated room EQ tools don't seem to be mature enough for HiFi, yet.
For the moment, manual EQ still allows to have the best results. The human interface then becomes very important. And we come back to the difficulty of developing and maintaining SW for a small company. All this for a very narrow customer base.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted “other” since what I am currently looking for is a 150 watt per channel into 8 Ohm power amp with differential inputs and sub pre-out. Since my needs are particular, I’ve always gone for the individual tool that does the job approach as opposed to more integrated approaches.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like a Purifi-based stereo amp with a built - in SOTA DAC, with bass management, and EQ. Doesn't have to be DIRAC, but something that I could import a curve into would be killer.

If I can't get the EQ, the Purifi + DAC + Bass Management would still get my attention.
Exactly my thought , the market as a whole does not need yet another sota DAC with perfect SINAD .
More features that actually increase sound quality like bass management and room eq ( Dirac ).

You can also build this as a preamp not necessarily an integrated.

Hdmi ? eARC ? Bluetooth ?

Suppose you are to small to delve into up mixing to immersive formats and multichannel, all products in this category have problems, there simply is nothing with decent raw performance in this segment anymore .
But there’s probably good reasons to not go there ? Or it’s ready for a paradigm shift :) or both :/

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... but if you did a modern preamp/DAC combo it migth interest me :)

Rant: high end is full of so called preamps that does not have basic features like tone controls ,balance , mono , riaa and record/tape loop .

I these days this can be a digital implementation if the DAC is integrated, probably cheaper than actual analog circuits and performs better ? But I don’t how these things scale for a small company?

TimW

Major Contributor
I voted for the reasonably priced NC252MP amp because I think it would sell the best. I currently use a miniDSP SHD as preamplifier and wouldn't mind upgrading my old power amplifiers to something new, but don't want to spend too much. I think the Buckeye amps are ugly.

Personally I would be more interested in a modern preamp or integrated amp though. I own the SHD because it has almost everything I want from a preamp. I have always liked integrated amps with pre-out/main-in connections so that a processor can be inserted. This allows use of crossovers, EQ, and the addition of subwoofers in the analog or digital domain. You can add a DSP with the latest ARC to this type of integrated amp rather than having to buy a whole new amp. The downside is that there is an ADC/DAC stage in the signal path and analog preamp circuitry degrading the signal.

For this reason my ideal device would be digitally based. I want all of the traditional preamp functionality done in the digital domain. Volume control, balance, tone controls, input switching and mute (soft fade), variable loudness and RIAA EQ (like RME), other cool phono preamp features (like puffin) all done digitally. There would be balanced and unbalanced analog inputs and outputs connected directly to high quality ADC and DAC circuits. There would also be lots of digital inputs, 2 Coaxial SPDIF, 2 Toslink SPDIF, AES-EBU, USB, HDMI. No need for streaming or Bluetooth built in IMO since those things become obsolete. I would rather buy the latest stand alone streamer. And since everything is being done digitally, there needs to be digital outputs, Coax, Toslink, and AES-EBU. This way the preamp can be used with modern DSP active speakers or stand alone DSPs without unnecessary ADC/DAC processing. It could also be used with a power amplifier with digital input such as you have proposed. I would of course use a DSP and it would be very nice to have a digital pre-out/main-in so the preamp's internal DAC can be used. Other useful features like delayable 12V trigger, input renaming, input hiding, auto-on, sleep, etc.. could be integrated with everything being digitally controlled. Would need to be able to update the firmware via USB in case new features or bug fixes come out. There could be a preamp version of this design and an integrated amp with a Hypex added of course.

Willem

Major Contributor
I already have an RME ADI-2 so I don't need any of its features. However, what I would like my next power amp to have is a high pass filter. I can feed my subwoofers from the rca output of the ADI-2 and use their low pass filters, but I need a good quality high pass filter in the power amplifier for the best integration. Interestingly, this is perfectly normal in pro audio amplifiers such as my son's Yamaha P2500s, but almost unheard of in consumer gear even though it is almost mandatory for good subwoofer integration. It should not cost much, and would be a unique selling point in the Hypex/Purifi market.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly my thought , the market as a whole does not need yet another sota DAC with perfect SINAD .
More features that actually increase sound quality like bass management and room eq ( Dirac ).

You can also build this as a preamp not necessarily an integrated.

Hdmi ? eARC ? Bluetooth ?

Suppose you are to small to delve into up mixing to immersive formats and multichannel, all products in this category have problems, there simply is nothing with decent raw performance in this segment anymore .
But there’s probably good reasons to not go there ? Or it’s ready for a paradigm shift :) or both :/

@boXem | audio I would buy a multichannel Arc extractor with decent housing, built-in power supply and decent analogue performance so I second this.

Last edited:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I am a bit careful with Dirac: when I discuss with people who actually tested it, most of them were disappointed. In fact, outside of the high end ones (Trinnov...), the automated room EQ tools don't seem to be mature enough for HiFi, yet.
I wouldn't say that. I've had excellent results with Dirac. Life changing even. That said, since implementing my LXmini crossovers in CamillaDSP on the Pi and playing with REW and Rephase the improvement Dirac makes is minimal. If I had more dac channels to get my sub under Camilla's control I'm sure I could equal or better Dirac's performance with Camilla alone. But it takes a lot more measurement chops and REW/Rephase fu. Not everyone is interested in that. Dirac, IMO, is very very good.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ok, iam going to be the odd one out. I think you should ignore the niche/custom requests of members here with overcomplicated component rewuests for overcomplicated systems. Dare I say, members here often request things but never actually buy.

I would say you should think bigger and be competing with the likes of NAD etc., looking at their product lineups.
DSP/EQ - thanks to ASR and the like is really gaining traction in audiophile circles, should be part of pre/dac modules.

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I wouldn't say that. I've had excellent results with Dirac. Life changing even. That said, since implementing my LXmini crossovers in CamillaDSP on the Pi and playing with REW and Rephase the improvement Dirac makes is minimal. If I had more dac channels to get my sub under Camilla's control I'm sure I could equal or better Dirac's performance with Camilla alone. But it takes a lot more measurement chops and REW/Rephase fu. Not everyone is interested in that. Dirac, IMO, is very very good.
Glad to read that you actually had a good experience with Dirac. Indeed I wrote "most" :).
Ok, iam going to be the odd one out. I think you should ignore the niche/custom requests of members here with overcomplicated component rewuests for overcomplicated systems. Dare I say, members here often request things but never actually buy.

I would say you should think bigger and be competing with the likes of NAD etc., looking at their product lineups.
DSP/EQ - thanks to ASR and the like is really gaining traction in audiophile circles, should be part of pre/dac modules.
That is why there is a poll. The results are not exactly the ones reflected by the comments ;). But the "brainstorming" part of the comments is also interesting. A few good ideas actually popped up.
At the very beginning of boXem I met a young lady who was was selecting candidates for a business incubator. She told me one of the wisest business advice I heard: "first meet you customers, then grow". Now that I met a few, I start to know them and all the products that I listed more or less correspond to what I understand of their taste.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand how so many voted for an integrated amp with DAC when there are a few on the market already and I see so low sales overall. Let alone advanced DSP and Dirac room correction, a rabbit hole of support until the end of times.

IMHO for every customer of this there must be like 20 customers of a quality multichannel amp for their home theaters, and 50 customers of a good cheaper 2 channel amp. Silent majority kind of thing. But a high pass filter should be easy to implement and it's really missing in the market overall.

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I don't understand how so many voted for an integrated amp with DAC when there are a few on the market already and I see so low sales overall. Let alone advanced DSP and Dirac room correction, a rabbit hole of support until the end of times.
I am not aware of a one box combo DAC+1ET400A available on the market (at the exception of the M33, which is playing in a different league.). Would it be successful is another question.

Mal

For the moment, manual EQ still allows to have the best results. The human interface then becomes very important. And we come back to the difficulty of developing and maintaining SW for a small company. All this for a very narrow customer base.
So instantiate the best of manual EQ?

KEF LSX connect app has very simple EQ set up, a limited number of options - you select size of room, whether speakers at edge of table, far from wall... and that's about it. Why not reproduce this in the amp! Then have Schitt Loki tone controls as well.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not aware of a one box combo DAC+1ET400A available on the market (at the exception of the M33, which is playing in a different league.). Would it be successful is another question.
Not Purifi, but see the NCore based integrated amps from Buchardt, Nord, Audiophonics, for example. The first is very complete, I see low interest and owners in ASR. The Nord is very simple and affordable, and results the same. The last is more recent but I doubt the results would be different. I see it as far from a booming market.

But take multichannel for instance. Lot's of people talking and replacing amps in their home theaters.

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Not Purifi, but see the NCore based integrated amps from Buchardt, Nord, Audiophonics, for example. The first is very complete, I see low interest and owners in ASR. The Nord is very simple and affordable, and results the same. The last is more recent but I doubt the results would be different. I see it as far from a booming market.

But take multichannel for instance. Lot's of people talking and replacing amps in their home theaters.
I am also surprised by the low amount of votes the multichannel amplifier is having. But the idea of the poll is to substantiate choices with some data. And for the moment, data say differently.

Top Bottom