• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not testing your patience ;) Modern tunes and bad sounds.

VenoMal1c3

You certainly picked some of the very worst offenders. Death Magnetic is legendary for how botched its sound is, to the extent that people seek out the tracks ripped from Guitar Hero, because the mastering is so much better.

Thankfully, the loudness war mastering is not nearly as bad as it was in the early 2000s. Mainstream music is still mixed rather loud and compressed, but at least the compressors have gotten a lot better, and the techs are much better at using them, especially sidechain compression.

Still, I listen to a lot of music that needs -12dB or so Replaygain, and I don't find it particularly offensive when the music is supposed to be noisy and aggressive. As long as it's not clipping, I'm OK with it. Sometimes it makes the music a bit flat, dulling the impact from drums and such. But once in a while I get an album where the mastering is just great and full and with the proper impact, which is a nice breath of fresh air.

And then I spin some Slaughter, mid-80s death/thrash metal with the most in-your-face drum sound that modern bands wish they could have, just to balance things out ;-)
First Fragment's album Gloire Éternelle has great Dynamic Range & I haven't detected much, if any, compression on the production side. There is a track (off the top of my head, I think it's track 6) where the guitar amp is being driven nearly to breakup & I've no doubt the levels at the console blipped into the red a couple times.

It's intentional, though: Phil Tougas just being an absolute beast & kicking on what sounds like a Tube Screamer in front of or in the effects loop of the High Gain channel of a tube amp to lay waste to everything. It's not all napalm & phosphorus, though. Phil Tougas has a love for the Neoclassical & the man is a phenomenal musician.

I share your opinion regarding the drum tone: Nothing beats having your pulse sync up in time with untriggered double bass drums that can be felt throughout your core. I do love tech death, but goddamn if I don't find that mechanized k(l)ick drum annoying after a bit. That's why I also really love progressive metal (both with & without death in between).
Check out the band Dyssidia & their album Costly Signals. Fucking outstanding!

Top Bottom