• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not sure how to do this: is, e.g., the Dayton Audio DTA30HP 30W Class D Mini Amplifier a viable review target

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
OK, I realize that cheap Asian-made Class D amplifiers and whatnot are proliferating like coathangers in a dark closet ;) but I am both fairly ignorant of most of the market and, at the same time, sort of perversely intrigued by such amplifiers! :) Here's an example of the kind of thing that catches my eye.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...ini-amplifier-with-headphone-output--300-3812

1579555234101.png

1579555286266.png

A quick search suggests no review of this product per se -- but for all I know, the exact same compenent with a different "brand" name on it may have already been discussed to death here.

I guess my question is: is there any interest here in semi-off-brand components like this one and/or are there much better values to be had in terms of price/performance elsewhere?

My motivation is largely academic -- although, as I have observed Elsewhere, I am an incorrigible sucker for cheap hifi stuff (and, no, I am not particularly proud of that!) :p

Thanks for your consideration (and sorry for the large-ish image pastes)!

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Do you mean that you'd like to write reviews of this class of product? I'm sure it'd be welcome. The ones Amir's tested haven't been all that great so chances of coming across something excellent are pretty low. Some users are definitely buying these for budget setups.

Best value for money seems to be in Hypex/Icepower builds or Behringer/Crown, power amp-wise, in terms of watt/$ ratio.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
It's cool. Has Headphone out. So test it. Such a little thing i would like if it performs also on HP out.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can get a clue of what the amp might be capable of (if well-implemented) by checking out the datasheet on the Texas Instruments amplifier chip it's based on:
http://www.ti.com/product/TPA3116D2
I might have the very same chip in my Topping VX3, and I like that amp: It's well-behaved, causes no audible radio interference, and I can use it on the hottest days in summer.

I think TI's highest-performance chip amp is likely the LM3886, but that's a Class AB amp. They've also got a number of Class D chips designated as "Ultra HD" which appear to be their premier offerings.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can get a clue of what the amp might be capable of (if well-implemented) by checking out the datasheet on the Texas Instruments amplifier chip it's based on...

On thing to be careful of when comparing amps using the same chip is that they are often designed to run with a wide variety of power supply voltages...and their outputs vary depending on the power supply used. The TPA3116D2 shows it is designed to use power supplies from 4.6 to 26 volts.

In this case the Dayton is designed for and ships with a 12v supply. According to the chip specs, that should result in about 8-10 watts per channel at 1% distortion. Dayton specs are a bit above that...but a bit of wattage inflation is normal for mini amplifier specs. Because they specify a 12v power supply, it would not be good practice to plug in a higher voltage as the rest of the system may not be designed to deal with the resultant heat/current.

So....if you do not need more than 10-14 clean watts per channel it could be a good choice.

Top Bottom