• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not loving the Kali LP8. Reccomendations?

OP
J

J.Wolf

I've been at this a long time, and the list of speakers I've enjoyed more than the IN-8s is very short and absurdly expensive.

I got The Watts with them, and we both agree we've never been fooled as often that a sound is in the room, when it's really on the speakers. More importantly, I just love listening to them and have never once thought, "this could be better". Of course it could be better. They are cheap speakers. But it doesn't need to be better, so well balanced they are.

I think it's just the size of the box that bothers you. My computer speakers are LS50s, so I'm used to the coaxial effect, and the INM-8s sound just the same at a closer distance. Sure, they would be too close if that was just a tweeter and woofer, and if you have been doing this long enough it makes you cringe..... (but it's all in your head. just close your eyes.... )

And get a subwoofer.

No, really, get a sub. You're a bass player. I had no idea what a difference it would make. There's way more info on more recordings than I ever imagined. Bass tracks I knew intimately have been transformed. Get a sub!

Just to be clear about what you're saying, the LP8's are non-coaxial, as are the IN'8's it seems. Actually have them horizontal with the tweeter on the inside and I like the sound more than with them vertical. I think part of that is that the stands won't get low enough to be ear level, without modding the internal post.

I know that without a decent room and some energy spent in treatment, it's only gonna get so good. Perhaps adding a sub is a better spend than putting more money into another set of near Fields. Yes as a bass player I really want to hear that region with fidelity and authority.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I accept the little restrictions and frankly speaking I do not care og them, because in fact I do not want spend my life chasing another products.
109dB SINAD was not a little restriction though, and you needed to replace the SMSL SU-8 by a Toppind D10 Balanced with 118dB SINAD. ;)

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
109dB SINAD was not a little restriction though, and you needed to replace the SMSL SU-8 by a Toppind D10 Balanced with 118dB SINAD. ;)
Dacs are just a hobby. I like to buy and distribute to family, keeping the last bought at home. That's not like speakers, and I am pretty sure I am unable to hear a difference between the SU8 V2 and the D10 Balanced.

Trif

Just to be clear about what you're saying, the LP8's are non-coaxial, as are the IN'8's it seems.
Oops. My reading skills aren't what they were. Of course you can get too close to the LP8.

Actually have them horizontal with the tweeter on the inside and I like the sound more than with them vertical. I think part of that is that the stands won't get low enough to be ear level, without modding the internal post.
We have ours upside down on stands to get them to ear level.

I know that without a decent room and some energy spent in treatment, it's only gonna get so good. Perhaps adding a sub is a better spend than putting more money into another set of near Fields. Yes as a bass player I really want to hear that region with fidelity and authority.
A decent sub can stay in your system as you upgrade mains.

I've spent my life living with small speakers (budget, apartment, kids, etc.). You can not buy a tweeter good enough to substitute for that bottom octave.

OP
J

J.Wolf

Oops. My reading skills aren't what they were. Of course you can get too close to the LP8.

We have ours upside down on stands to get them to ear level.

A decent sub can stay in your system as you upgrade mains.

I've spent my life living with small speakers (budget, apartment, kids, etc.). You can not buy a tweeter good enough to substitute for that bottom octave.
solid!

Nwickliff

Late to the party but, man I really hope the OP measured his speakers before going out and buying a new set of monitors, or at least went and got a sub before "upgrading" his speakers. How did you get on my friend?

OP
J

J.Wolf

I ended up getting the Kali sub, and mounting mine sideways with the ports on the outside and am really happy with them at this point. No acoustical room correction done yet which is an obvious issue but also can’t do much with the room right now. Anyhow, happy that I’m getting good results.

Nwickliff

I ended up getting the Kali sub, and mounting mine sideways with the ports on the outside and am really happy with them at this point. No acoustical room correction done yet which is an obvious issue but also can’t do much with the room right now. Anyhow, happy that I’m getting good results.
Glad to hear it. Get yourself a Umik ($100) and REW (free) best investment any person can make when it comes to speakers in their home/office.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Definitely jump on the room eq like others have said. My preference is for 8"+ monitors, but they really need EQ to work well in most rooms. The difference is huge, even a few minor cuts here and there can dramatically change a speakers performance in room. I think it will really help alleviate any remaining issue you might have with the sound.

Top Bottom