• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

North American Car of the Year

Darkweb

Ron what are your thoughts on the current price of a gallon of milk?

Reactions: 617

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw someone explain the appeal of the Gladiator as for those fond of overland travel being the equivalent of taking the C8 Corvette to a race track. It doesn't appeal to me either, but it is made pretty well for that particular purpose. I also think a truck with a 5 ft bed isn't really a truck. And when not off road I don't think I'd dig the solid axle for both front and rear suspension.

The SUV pick, well,......uh............okay. I just happened to park next to one just yesterday. Its a big ole gaudy SUV.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw someone explain the appeal of the Gladiator as for those fond of overland travel being the equivalent of taking the C8 Corvette to a race track. It doesn't appeal to me either, but it is made pretty well for that particular purpose. I also think a truck with a 5 ft bed isn't really a truck. And when not off road I don't think I'd dig the solid axle for both front and rear suspension.

The SUV pick, well,......uh............okay. I just happened to park next to one just yesterday. Its a big ole gaudy SUV.

There was a 3 way test of the Gladiator, Tacoma and Colorado Bison. The Colorado came out on top because the Gladiator bottomed and was too expensive. I have rented several Wrangler 4 doors and owned a Grand Cherokee back when it had a solid front axle. The solid axle gives the vehicle truck like steering, but the combination of a long wheelbase and long travel suspension produces a good ride on both highway and nasty city streets.

I have yet to get a close look at the Kia. The automotive press loves it. Due to car pools and mandatory seat belt usage a lot of people need these large capacity vehicles. When loaded their fuel consumption per passenger per mile is actually good.

A 5' bed can be extended by dropping the tail gate.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Kia Telluride/Hyundai Palisade is underpowered. It's a Tahoe running on a six-banger.

Meanwhile "mid-size" pickups have grown to become what used to be "full-size" ten years ago. "Full-size" pickups are massive behemoths nowadays. I'd love a Dodge Power Wagon or a new Ford Super Duty with the 7.3L, but I live in the city. The new Ranger is oversized and overpriced (in my opinion) compared to the old one.

Still, I want a Tahoe, if only because my dream car is "large" and "undeniably American".

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Kia Telluride/Hyundai Palisade is underpowered. It's a Tahoe running on a six-banger.

Meanwhile "mid-size" pickups have grown to become what used to be "full-size" ten years ago. "Full-size" pickups are massive behemoths nowadays. I'd love a Dodge Power Wagon or a new Ford Super Duty with the 7.3L, but I live in the city. The new Ranger is oversized and overpriced (in my opinion) compared to the old one.

Still, I want a Tahoe, if only because my dream car is "large" and "undeniably American".

The big Chevy SUV's are vehicles with the highest percentage of survivors passing 200,000, miles. They beat even legendary Toyota and Honda. Midsize pickups are nearly as large as the full size ones used to be. You may note the BMW 3 series is as large as the 5 series was several generations ago. Some of this is the result of US fuel economy regulations allowing vehicles with a larger footprint (wheelbase x track) to consume more fuel without penalty. Consumer preference is a large part of it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I agree on the trucks. I have one of the original Tacoma's. Not a large truck, and just what I need. It might not do what the huge ones do, but it does what I want. I like smaller vehicles anyway. The mid-size is everybit as large as the full size of a dozen years ago, and often taller. Full size is yes a behemoth. I detest parking in crowded areas because you have these huge, long, tall pickups and half the people can't see/ don't know where the ends of their vehicles are. They aren't good for working out of. Unlike back when if you have tools in the back you need a ladder to get up and over to reach them. You have to climb up into them. I don't like anything about them. Clearly they aren't marketed to me as the bigger they make them the more they sell. Currently well over 3 million per year in the USA alone.

Oh regarding the Kia vs Tahoe, the Kia/Hyundai have a better power to weight ratio because the Tahoe is so heavy. 5600 lbs.

Top Bottom