• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Norne Audio Premium Headphone Cable Review

Koeitje

Major Contributor
As in, the differences are audible but can't be measured?

That's creative...
Well, my posts got removed. Guess I was hitting their bottom line. Too bad, because we were just getting to the interesting part: the change is not in the electrical signal that runs over the cable but in something else.

The irony is that the guy stating he heard differences was describing effects in the frequency response, but also was saying what he was hearing cannot be seen in the frequency response. The duality of man.

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is my version of your conclusion:

“Everything points to these cables being differentiated by how much money you spend toward them than any fidelity difference.

Needless to say, I do NOT recommend that you buy any Audio Cables for performance. For feel, there may be some value there and I let you decide on that.”

I simply removed the Norne name.

Martin

Last edited:

imagidominc

Forum Donor
My headphones cables are made of solid Unobtanium, and let me tell you, it really makes the sound 1000x better. ;):p

sweetsounds

What is your point in regards to headphone cables?
That when we see a "better" cable we hear differences and they are real?

Correct. It is an association of a certain visual impression with a certain perception. Actually, if you look at how perception works, it isn't a one-way street. Vision is our strongest sense. A lot of information is also SENT (not only received) to the Thalamus from the occipital lobe to make you see what should be seen.
Only this way the brain can manage the huge stream of information.

So people really do hear a difference, because the perception is different and they focus on other elements.
(So what is important to you: the physical sound or your perception? :)

roskodan

The manufacturer thread over at Ad-Fi got locked. Wonder why would they do that? (alert!, rhetorical question). ASR strikes again. :D (EDIT: seems they unlocked it now :cool:)

I think these are DIY cables. People just follow the formula for what sells and then sit in their bedroom for hours and hours braiding these cables, and soldering them to connectors. It is horrible, repetitive work. I don't know why they think this is what they should dedicate their life to.
Easy money? And, I'm told they have braiding machines that do most of the work, while they are busy counting the cash. ;)

Fernando

Forum Donor
IMPORTANT: Read with this background music!

Is it possible to measure the impact of a cable on the sound?

It is difficult to give an exact answer, I think we must take the question with caution and analyze the minor ones that may seem inconsequential but that, when making a coherent decision, can twist the balance.
If we are guided by the concepts of interpretation that existed in antiquity, we should make an examination of conscience and position ourselves as mere spectators before a question without an addressee.

But if, instead, we analyze your question from the position of the orthodox line of modern thought, the answer has to do, not with the essence of the question, but with the dialectical spirit of the questioner.
In short, the answer to your question can only be understood from the pragmatic, associating the levels of the intellect that, by themselves, reveal the secrets of the unknown.
On the other hand, it should be mentioned that for empirical analysis, it is not necessary to evaluate the intrinsic precepts of reality, observed from logic and metaphysics.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The manufacturer thread over at Ad-Fi got locked. Wonder why would they do that? (alert!, rhetorical question). ASR strikes again. :D

Easy money? And, I'm told they have braiding machines that do most of the work, while they are busy counting the cash. ;)
That was me, it is open again. Guy was claiming he heard differences in the frequency response that you couldn't see if you measure the frequency response.

RHO

Major Contributor
Correct. It is an association of a certain visual impression with a certain perception. Actually, if you look at how perception works, it isn't a one-way street. Vision is our strongest sense. A lot of information is also SENT (not only received) to the Thalamus from the occipital lobe to make you see what should be seen.
Only this way the brain can manage the huge stream of information.

So people really do hear a difference, because the perception is different and they focus on other elements.
(So what is important to you: the physical sound or your perception? :)
But because they hear it doesn't mean it's real.
Some people hear Jesus tell them they should kill sinners. You think sweet Jesus is really telling them that?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
We did learn something from this test - it is possible to change cables without moving the earcups on that Focal.

Nope... it is VERY hard to do and the plots do show that above 10kHz. see the 0.1 to 0.2dB discrepancy.
I did the same test but with the right channel as measurement and the left which has the connector was used to plug in 4 different cables.
Turns out the headphone shifted a miniscule amount (and the fixture doesn't even have a pinna) yet the curves did not overlay exactly.
Only 2 of them did, so did the other 2 cables. This was a DT1770 (which is 250 ohm)

coiled-cable-vs-short-cable-2.png

5 meter coiled cable (stock), 1m cloth covered (copper)

silver-cable-vs-original-cable-1.png

3m original straight cable versus a 1m braided silver cable

the upper and lower plot just differed slightly due to a small movement.

Of course the conclusion is exactly the same. No electrical difference and no audible difference. The cables have 'no sound signature'.
One is more handy than the other and some (the cloth covered ones) are more microphonic.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
In my opinion soundquality is not the only thing when it comes to cables. I bought a Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid cable because i think it is the most beautiful cable out there and the ergonomics are just crazy good for me.

Does it sound better? I don't care :D

72-432-thickbox.jpg

Yes, yes, but how much? And did you end up thinking the sound was better with these cables before this review? :)

Edit: Nervemind, I looked it up, 210Euros.

o_O:eek:

:facepalm:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Wow, even advising users that want to buy these cables (wanted to upgrade to another model from the same brand) to just order the new one and do a double blind test to make sure they pick the cable they think sounds best is not allowed on head-fi. The must be really desperate for that manufacturer money.

Let me repeat that: telling people to listen to a product is not allowed on head-fi. o_O

antdroid

Reviewer
I've never seen anything appreciable in measuring standard headphone measurement techniques (FR, distortion, etc) with cable differences. That said I'll gladly spend money to make a nice cable for use with a headphone I intend to use often. Most of the included cables are terrible (specifically Focal, Hifiman, Sennheiser, Fostex... ok most brands). After building several of my own in the past, and like Amir said, it's not fun, and tedious, I'll gladly pay for a more comfortable and attractive cable to use within a certain budget of course.

On a different note on cables, measuring impedance of the cable may be interesting. Most headphones are not affected by this unless its quite significant, but some IEMs are extremely sensitive to impedance, and I wonder if there's enough differences here that could actually affect the FR of an IEM. Examples of these IEMs are Campfire Andromeda and Solaris, which are pretty popular. There's a number of other ones that are also impedance sensitive to IEMs as well as noise (super high sensitivity).

RHO

Major Contributor
I actually like building my own cables. But with the prices on AliExpress I can get the assembled cable at about the same price as the separate components.

the_brunx

Wow, even advising users that want to buy these cables (wanted to upgrade to another model from the same brand) to just order the new one and do a double blind test to make sure they pick the cable they think sounds best is not allowed on head-fi. The must be really desperate for that manufacturer money.

Let me repeat that: telling people to listen to a product is not allowed on head-fi. o_O

Headfi seems to have slowly evolved to a big advertisement forum indirectly run by the manufactures. Please audioscience, never let manufacturers be your sponsors, because this fate is almost inevitable the moment you start taking their money.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Headfi seems to have slowly evolved to a big advertisement forum indirectly run by the manufactures. Please audioscience, never let manufacturers be your sponsors, because this fate is almost inevitable the moment you start taking their money.
Slowly? It has been like that for years. Seems to be just a cash cow for Jude, zero passion left.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand how some expensive cables can sell, where they have thick shields made from luxury materials. But i will never get why these Kimber like products sell. They look so DIY. Looks like someone's grandma knitting a sweater... Not to mention how delicate and unprotected it all looks...
It's handmade, that's an added value! :)
Actually, Kimber’s claim to fame is that they are precisely machine wound!

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to read and post on Head-Fi regularly until I stopped doing so for this very reason. Now I only go there to sell stuff.

Top Bottom