• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Norne Audio Premium Headphone Cable Review

ReAlien

Duly noted. People mocking the price tag hardly qualifies as a crusade though, but hey, we may well have a different interpretation of that word.
Price tag is not what I'm talking about. I mean that there will always be a huge number of people who see the people who enjoy their audio gear as a sworn enemy and choose to attack them as if the latter ever tried to embark their views on anyone not willing to take them.

My personal view is that cables usually do make difference (and I did not know headphone cables can be questioned, as usually, the most aggressive discussions are about power and digital cables) but whether a person is able to hear it depends on various factors: level of audio gear, specifics of the audio tract, the ability of a person to hear minor details (it requires a lot of training), mood, weather, etc. That is why I never advise anyone to buy any cables without a previous personal test in their own system. Sometimes our brain plays such games with us that the changes can be noticed in a long-term period only. But the main thing is that I never say that my view is superior or has any priority when it comes to other's experiences. If someone does not hear the difference, it's OK. If they tell about it, it's OK. If they start to tell me that I'm a liar and delude myself and my claims are "magic" I tell them to get lost.

Last edited:

Tachyon88

@ReAlien So you're hearing something that is not showing up on the FR graph ? Should Amir test these again after the weather changes, on an empty/full stomach, after a good movie.....etc ? That will change what you hear, that otherwise would never show up on the measurements is what you're saying ?

ReAlien

@ReAlien So you're hearing something that is not showing up on the FR graph ? Should Amir test these again after the weather changes, on an empty/full stomach, after a good movie.....etc ? That will change what you hear, that otherwise would never show up on the measurements is what you're saying ?
Why should Amir measure it if it does not show on the FR graph? Amir's actions could never influence my personal experience afaik. But if you believe in that, I will not accuse you of anything, just dismiss your view as irrelevant and move on.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
but whether a person is able to hear it depends on various factors: level of audio gear, the ability of a person to hear minor details (it requires a lot of training), mood, weather, etc. That is why I never advise anyone to buy any cables without a previous personal test in their own system.
Seriously, @amirm just showed graphs comparing similarities and differences between cables, and you argue that somehow the human ear can hear something when an analyzer shows no difference. I can’t really believe there’s people that still think like that even when evidence is provided.

Tachyon88

Why should Amir measure it if it does not show on the FR graph? Amir's actions could never influence my personal experience afaik. But if you believe in that, I will not accuse you of anything, just dismiss your view as irrelevant and move on.

I'm saying despite proof that there is no FR change, you still say cables make a difference based on mood...its a contradiction. Your mood makes the difference of how you perceive music, its not the cable.

ReAlien

Seriously, @amirm just showed graphs comparing similarities and differences between cables, and you argue that somehow the human ear can hear something when an analyzer shows no difference. I can’t really believe there’s people that still think like that even when evidence is provided.
If you believe that Amir's graphs are able to show what our brains hear, good for you.

ReAlien

I'm saying despite proof that there is no FR change, you still say cables make a difference based on mood...its a contradiction. Your mood makes the difference of how you perceive music, its not the cable.
My mood can influence my ability to hear difference in short term. But I listen to my cables in long term and I can hear cable's signature despite mood, weather changes. And what is more interesting, my buddies can share their opinion which usually matches mine without them knowing my views beforehand. You can call it magic, I do not care)

Tachyon88

My mood can influence my ability to hear difference in short term. But I listen to my cables in long term and I can hear cable's signature despite mood, weather changes. And what is more interesting, my buddies can share their opinion which usually matches mine without them knowing my views beforehand. You can call it magic, I do not care)

So you have averaged your moods over time into a sound signature, what does it sound like ?

ReAlien

So you have averaged you moods over time into a sound signature, what does it sound like ?
You mean a cable change can influence my average moods and weather? Wow)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard luck.
I did a carefully level matched comparison between a big selection of loudspeaker cables and interconnects about 10 years ago. They varied in price from £6000 to the giveaway I got with my Aiwa cassette player 40 years ago and, luckily for me they all sounded the same on a very resolving high end (6 figure price) system I used, apart from the ones with filter boxes, so I can relax and just listen to my favourite music now.
I haven't spent time or money worrying about cables since.
It must be a monumental PITA to be listening to music and think "oh shit this piece would sound better with the xxxxx cable" and have to change, or be dissatisfied for the rest of the record.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
That is why I never advise anyone to buy any cables without a previous personal test in their own system.

Or, they could pick a competent one to start.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I see it like this:

Braiding makes them more solid and increases their elasticity (they can cope with more mechanical tension --> less chance of being torn). I suspect this would be because people regularly move them (putting and having them on one's head) so there is higher chance of something happening to the cable, although the probability of such an event is probably insignificant for most people.

The problem is that because of the braiding they loose a lot of flexibility, the higher rigidity makes them "microphonic" (much higher transmission of mechanical vibrations : a small cursory touching contact with a surface like a desk creates a mechanical wave that is transmitted through the headphone to the ear (sometimes through the skull...), creating annoying microphonic noises polluting the music.
BTW I wonder about the origin of the adjective microphonic in this context, would someone know?

The problem is that the drawbacks with microphonics may negatively outweight the advantage of the higher solidity.
One solution against microphonics is using litz wire instead of pure core strains, but those made out of litz seems more expensive than those made out of solid cores.

And the braiding may help in asking for more money, but on other hand there are many super expensive cable speaker cables and they are not braided.
I think aesthetics play a role for the braiding, probably one guy started doing this, and most others followed up. Maybe fashion is the most important factor here?
Wouldn't the "microphonic" effect be more down to the texture and material of the outer insulation than anything else?

ReAlien

Or, they could pick a competent one to start.
Good for you if you know what cable is competent for you and your system without an actual test.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But I listen to my cables in long term and I can hear cable's signature despite mood, weather changes.
You don't know if that is what you "hear." It is what you perceive. I was in Japan last night enjoying some great sushi again. Problem is, I woke up this morning and realized it was a dream. It is remarkable how our brain can synthesis things that are not real whatsoever.

To know what is really coming in our ears and not manufactured by the brain, we need to eliminate all other sources of input to the brain. And then repeat the exercise many times to make sure it is not a lucky guess. When we do that, experiences like yours disappear in the wind: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ity-and-reliability-of-abx-blind-testing.186/

1618596415442.png

A local audiophile with a half a million dollar system who swore he could tell differences between his MIT cable and "ordinary" Monster cable failed miserably when the test was done when he didn't know which was which.

I suggest watching the videos I create to learn about complexities of your perception and how audio science gets around bias factors.

None of this comes intuitively so please don't use your lay intuition. You don't do that when you need medicine to cure what is wrong with you. So don't do it with audio either. It is not a simple topic like you assume.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was referring to the 8 pages of comments, not the video. I'm not interested in watching it as I know Amir's views well enough.
Interesting. You chastise people for commenting on a cable they don't own. But you feel comfortable commenting on content of a video without watching it. I suggest you take your own advise and watch the video. Then you realize there was not just a frequency response test. Putting your fingers in your ears is no way to learn anything.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Good for you if you know what cable is competent for you and your system without an actual test.
What wires are used to make the magnets in your headphone? Did you try changing it to see what difference it makes to sound? What? You think they are fine as is without testing? Shame on you! :)

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I was in Japan last night enjoying some great sushi again. Problem is, I woke up this morning and realized it was a dream.

Prime has Jiro Dreams of Sushi for free again for a while. :)

ReAlien

Hard luck.
I did a carefully level matched comparison between a big selection of loudspeaker cables and interconnects about 10 years ago. They varied in price from £6000 to the giveaway I got with my Aiwa cassette player 40 years ago and, luckily for me they all sounded the same on a very resolving high end (6 figure price) system I used, apart from the ones with filter boxes, so I can relax and just listen to my favourite music now.
I haven't spent time or money worrying about cables since.
It must be a monumental PITA to be listening to music and think "oh shit this piece would sound better with the xxxxx cable" and have to change, or be dissatisfied for the rest of the record.
I always say that I envy those who do not hear the difference in cables. But I'm kidding, of course) It's like I would envy people who listen to simple pop music and never want anything else or those that think that junk food is great. I love this part of the audio hobby when you know that your sound always can get better, look for new signatures to please my ears and brain, find some new horizons all the time. It does not mean that I'm always unhappy with my gear, it means that I always can enjoy the sound with knowledge that sooner or later it would get much better (more authentic to my ears).

ReAlien

What wires are used to make the magnets in your headphone? Did you try changing it to see what difference it makes to sound? What? You think they are fine as is without testing? Shame on you! :)
I did hear the change when the maker of my headphones upgraded the inner cabling in them. And I did hear the change when he changed the membranes making the conductors in them thinner and narrower. Sorry)

ReAlien

You don't know if that is what you "hear." It is what you perceive. I was in Japan last night enjoying some great sushi again. Problem is, I woke up this morning and realized it was a dream. It is remarkable how our brain can synthesis things that are not real whatsoever.

To know what is really coming in our ears and not manufactured by the brain, we need to eliminate all other sources of input to the brain. And then repeat the exercise many times to make sure it is not a lucky guess. When we do that, experiences like yours disappear in the wind: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ity-and-reliability-of-abx-blind-testing.186/

View attachment 124407

A local audiophile with a half a million dollar system who swore he could tell differences between his MIT cable and "ordinary" Monster cable failed miserably when the test was done when he didn't know which was which.

I suggest watching the videos I create to learn about complexities of your perception and how audio science gets around bias factors.

None of this comes intuitively so please don't use your lay intuition. You don't do that when you need medicine to cure what is wrong with you. So don't do it with audio either. It is not a simple topic like you assume.

It just proves my point that A-B tests are misleading. One should listen to a new cable or device in the long term to find out if it was his mood or lack of attention playing tricks. My brain can fool me into believing in a placebo surgery, which is sufficiently powerful proof that our brain can play hardcore tricks.

And you miss the point that it is not medicine and there can be no objective truth when we're talking about the pleasures of listening to music. If I like it, why should I fight it? Who gets hurt if I love my new cable?

Top Bottom