• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Norne Audio Premium Headphone Cable Review

This is a review and technical measurements of the three Norne Audio "high-end" cables made out of Litz wire of different material. It was kindly sent to me by a member for testing. The cables are slight variation of what is sold currently although visually they seem the …
Thank you, Amir, for every test that you do. I’ve been reading these reviews for years, and they have changed the way I buy equipments… from Marantz to Denon, and recently to Chinese DACs ;)

I have a couple of questions regarding your equipments and the testing methodology on the cable testing subject as a fellow scientist with a couple of peer reviewed papers published in IEEE and other journals/conferences albeit in different area (visual perception). With my user study research, I have seen a big variation between people on how they perceive visual elements, so that’s why I’m interested in hearing differences here.

As for the questions, you send tone A frequency in and measure tone A at the output. Does the equipment also measure the latency, lingering, and decay of each of these frequencies? If so, by how many precision points of a seconds? What is the error level on that?

I’ve listened to pure silver cables on a couple of occasions, and I “believe” I could hear differences. I didn’t like them by the way, but it wasn’t about things I could not hear in the other cable, but more like the whole rendition of music had a different feeling to it. Maybe as you said it’s all in the brain, but if some frequencies arrive sooner or at a later timing, things would change a bit. Hence, the reason for my question above.

Again, thank you for all these golden reviews! They’re so much work even after you’re done with the testing/measuring.

I could not edit my last post, so here is an add-on to it. I just want to emphasize on individual differences and share some first hand experience with human subjects and visual feeds in my own research.

Among the hundreds of user studies’ participants that come to our lab, there was this one person who could see infrared lights coming out of our motion capture cameras like it was laser beams shooting in a rave concert! We all were very surprised since the common belief is that humans can’t see infrared light, but there it was, the guy who could see unseeable!

We also get a constant ratio of 8-10% of people who cannot see stereograms, that is making a 3D image by shifting pixels on the other eye. They usually disqualify to enter the user studies, so they try really hard to pass the test but they fail. Again, individual differences.

Of course, these are all from visual perception research which is currently considered cutting-edge, and we get millions of dollars of funds coming from government and non-government sources, so I understand if audio is not a priority or not on that level actively researched.

Lastly, the reason I asked for precision of the testing device is that computers can only get to like 10 nano seconds in their internal clock/time stamps.

Last edited:

welsh

Hey, HD650 single ended stock and Sennheiser XLR cable do sound differently, XLR is brighter, even my non-audiophile girlfriend noticed difference in quick test. I think difference depends on how ****** stock cable is
Was she, perchance, in the kitchen at the time?

Top Bottom