• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Normal headphone sound or virtual speakers?

You prefer normal headphone sound or virtual speakers?

• I’m happy with the headphone sound as is.

• I would prefer the sound of virtual speakers.

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member 48726

I am extremely impressed by how convincing binaural headphone audio can sound in modern games.
True. I'm amazed of some videos on YouTube with binaural recordings. I even find speaker in-room recordings life like. New Record Day has a couple of great binaural videos of some baffle less speakers if you haven't checked them out already.

Blashyrkh

If i move my head to listen to something i noticed in the back, the illusion falls apart.

I hate to be that guy in a headphone thread, but physical speakers really are the bees knees, unless your application is monitoring of single instruments/voices or mobile music. Headphones just can't replicate the sound of speakers, in my opinion.
You are actually OT, since the discussion is about headphones. It's obvious speakers are better in this regard, and not only this.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice idea. But it is for sure not feasible. The sound is always direct at each ear without the room direction information. Room information needs to have both ears uncovered. If somebody would invent this switch I would use it because I don'l like the "in-the-head" music.
Have you tried something like impulcifer for measuring your BRIR and feeding it to something like HESUVI?
I agree. If I had crappy speakers though, or a tiny listening room, I'd go with headphones. Not sure I mind the normal headphone presentation.
for tiny rooms, other than bass modes, is there any other reason to choose headphones over small (maybe coaxial) speakers?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Would you use that switch or are you happy with the headphone sound as is?

I would hot glue the switch in the on position

I had a discussion with a fellow audio enthusiast who claimed that even if that switch would exist, headphone users would prefer to not use it.

He is right. the intrest in headphone room simulation is very very low between headphone enthusiast.
And I said it before: headphone reproduction is so messed up (imo!) that in order to become an enthusiast in the first place you have to like it that way.

OP
I

iGude

is there any other reason to choose headphones over small (maybe coaxial) speakers?
Although that’s OT, this comes to mind:
- no need for room treatment
- no need for multiple speakers for multichannel or immersive audio
- no need to limit sound level for neighbors and/or wife/kids

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Nice idea. But it is for sure not feasible. The sound is always direct at each ear without the room direction information. Room information needs to have both ears uncovered. If somebody would invent this switch I would use it because I don'l like the "in-the-head" music.
Smyth disagrees. Their Realiser is almost miraculous.

OP
I

iGude

I would hot glue the switch in the on position
Thank you for your feedback!
Just curious, have you checked the respective checkbox already so that your opinion is reflected in the statistics?

SDC

I will use that switch. HRIR for headphones are very good. I already made files for all my headphones. Normal version, binaral version, Ubacch version.

If there is something that outruns all HRIRs and Bacch-Hp. Everyone would flip it on. We just never heard the sound of perfection yet...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
for tiny rooms, other than bass modes, is there any other reason to choose headphones over small (maybe coaxial) speakers?
I just don't like the sound of tiny rooms. Maybe with the right acoustic treatments it could work, but headphones are awfully easy.

JP

Major Contributor

olieb

If i move my head to listen to something i noticed in the back, the illusion falls apart.
Well, not necessarily. With head tracking and you can turn your head while the auditory scene stays in place (i.e. with the aforementioned Smyth Realiser). Pretty awesome and a big improvement to the realism of the experience.

Top Bottom