• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NORDOST TYR 2 Review (Coax Cable)

Rate this audio cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 279 93.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 3.3%

• Total voters

Here2Learn

I think the problem is that Chinese govt turned a blind on that, as with other things like IP/copyright. And what can other countries do about it? sanction them?
I would have thought the WTO has rules which if not stuck to, result in being kicked out and having trade blocked with other WTO members.

But really, that's just if I was in charge. I mean it's like playing poker with somebody who is allowed to keep palming aces into their hand.

Murphy's Law said it best: "Smith & Wesson beats four aces"

Here2Learn

What I don't get is the incredibly low prices of the Nordost fakes. You would think they would charge a lot more and make a lot more $. These are not like the $5 fake Rolexes which are a quartz movement in a joke Rolex case, obvious to anyone, not just a watch expert.
If you've seen what the CCP has done with wealthy Hong Kong actors in confiscating their wealth, you'd understand exactly why many businesses won't make excessive profits even if the market is there. There's little point when the government comes in and takes everything.

NoteMakoti

Time was the bootlegs were so bad that you had to actively deceive people for them to buy it. Now we have 1:1 bootlegs of scam cables, out of production keyboards, even sneakers. Works out fine for me, never liked IP law anyway. :cool:

delta76

Major Contributor
I would have thought the WTO has rules which if not stuck to, result in being kicked out and having trade blocked with other WTO members.

But really, that's just if I was in charge. I mean it's like playing poker with somebody who is allowed to keep palming aces into their hand.

good luck with that. as much as I want China to be held by international rules and laws, that won't happen. countries are too divided to even agree on a sanction on China, and even if they were, that'd be a disaster for world economy.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 1/2-ohm speakers never caught traction in the market. ;)
Yeah not in the hi-fi, but some respected PA drivers are 1ohm, like 21 inch IPAL
13_23_24_891_21ipal_rear_copia_00.png

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Time was the bootlegs were so bad that you had to actively deceive people for them to buy it. Now we have 1:1 bootlegs of scam cables, out of production keyboards, even sneakers. Works out fine for me, never liked IP law anyway. :cool:

No one was deceived into buying bootlegs. The fact is the copyright holder artificially controls the market through the use of nearly unlimited copyright authority that lasts well belong any potential profit period contemplated by the creator (and the only reason society has an interest in copyright -- to make sure works are created). The limited availability led people to spend more than they spent on professionally produced albums just to hear music from their favorite artists that they could not hear otherwise.

Did the bootleg makers lie about quality? Probably. But they didn't deceive anyone as everyone knows Coke and Pepsi are equally refreshing.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
good luck with that. as much as I want China to be held by international rules and laws, that won't happen. countries are too divided to even agree on a sanction on China, and even if they were, that'd be a disaster for world economy.
The fact is any sanctions would cost the world more than they'd claw back.

Not to mention, China is entitled to reparations to some extent for it's treatment during the colonial exploitation of it's people and land.

We won. How about we act like it.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor

If you're beating the guy palming the aces, you let him palm aces.

Keith Conroy

@amirm Amir, If I didn't know better, I would think you and your EVIL AP test machine are trying to come between my HIGH END CABLE LOVE AFFAIR??? I mean after all 1800 bucks is cheap! The Bloom the detail, the openness is incredible...........!!!!!. LOL!.......... I wonder how many pair of Nordost Tyr2 cables were sold last year........Hmmm??

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir, If I didn't know better, I would think you and you EVIL AP test machine are trying to come between my HIGH END CABLE LOVE AFFAIR??? I mean after all 1800 bucks is cheap! The Bloom the detail, the openness is incredible...........!!!!!. LOL!.......... I wonder how many pair of Nordost Tyr2 cables were sold last year........Hmmm??
To make sure Amir is alerted to your message type, "@ami" and then click on his full nickname and it will auto insert for you.

Keith Conroy

To make sure Amir is alerted to your message type, "@ami" and then click on his full nickname and it will auto insert for you.
Got it I think??...............THX...!!...............Whatever it takes to save my high end interconnect LOVE AFFAIR ???........!!.........LOL!!

Snafu

back in the days i bought Nordost Red Dawn (speaker (bi-wire) + interconnect cables) because i liked color and flat appearance, imo they look pretty cool :cool:
i have had them ~20 years now, no sign of wear and they are like new. blue ones were nice too but i keep signal cables red and power cables red/black.

:)

Here2Learn

Well I did say...
But really, that's just if I was in charge.
And as far as disaster for the world economy.... we need to ween ourselves off of dependency on any single country. Having a single point of failure is always a recipe for disaster. Good engineers know this, but politicians know F*** all. It's the equivalent of letting audio be run by only subjectivists who don't know how things really work ;)

bidn

Thank you, this is very interesting and revealing.

This means that Nordost, like most Western companies, has outsourced the manufacturing of their super-expensive cables to China.

When Chinese Companies make things for Western companies, they often duplicate the assembly line and process, selling the same stuff for much less money on the Chinese market.

Then those identical Nordost cables sold on Ali express for a hundredth of the US price are sold at a price representing the normal manufacturing & commercial costs + a normal, reasonable profit.

This would mean that the profit made by Nordost is about hundred times the production cost...

People should be aware of such considerations before burning away their money in expensive audiophile cables...

Jimster480

Major Contributor
His gear isn't good enough. Not resolving, not manufactured by Nordic elves (Ljósálfar). He doesn't have the soul to be attune to the artistry in the music. So his ears are no good either. He has been trained to listen to all the wrong stuff.

/sarc
I'm sure, you are on to something here!
The value of this one is incredibly poor, but if you got it for free it would be a fine cable, so I voted in between at "not terrible".
I really don't understand anyone paying $1000 for a cable... equipment just doesn't work that way. I have some cables like this in my amazon favorites in a group called "Absurd products to laugh at". I think have I have some $100k speakers in there as well which have water inside of them or something.

Keith Conroy

I'm sure, you are on to something here!

I really don't understand anyone paying $1000 for a cable... equipment just doesn't work that way. I have some cables like this in my amazon favorites in a group called "Absurd products to laugh at". I think have I have some $100k speakers in there as well which have water inside of them or something.
Here is a side note comment on cables. I can tell you 1st hand that some of the engineers involved in designing very very high end interconnects have reservations. This is not true of all of them for sure! However some shake their head and say well if people buy in, give them what they want??

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Here is a side note comment on cables. I can tell you 1st hand that some of the engineers involved in designing very very high end interconnects have reservations. This is not true of all of them for sure! However some shake their head and say well if people buy in, give them what they want??
I mean I totally understand it. Some customers just want to lose their money. And some companies literally end up losing their customers if they don't make more expensive products.

Top Bottom