• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NORDOST TYR 2 Review (Coax Cable)

Rate this audio cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 279 93.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 3.3%

• Total voters

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Damm 1800 dollars for a cable that doesn't do anything ... how can these people hear differences?????
I can think of a number of psychological effects and biases that would cause somebody to perceive a difference between two stimuli even though their eardrums were hit twice by the same stimulus. People are ... human.

Tom

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
True, there's just some crystals that are just right and their temperature drift fits perfectly with the seasons.

I currently have a 31 year old Radio Shack (Japanese) Alkaline battery in that clock. The only alkaline batteries that just never leak- ever. That set of four batteries came out of a desktop DMM where they lived for 25 years. I think I have two unopened packets still.

As the clock lasts so long (3+ years) on a single battery and the clock will run that cell down to essentially nothing, leakproof batteries are a must. That rules out practically anything you can buy other than those metal cased Panasonic 'industrial' cells. I like to use those in my various meters/test gear as there is nothing worse than cleaning up a battery compartment in a multi hundred dollar Fluke.
I've had the same issue. Batteries that still have charge enough to function, but have leaked. Why make such a thing?

What I've done which seems to be holding up so far, is switch all AAA, and AA batteries to NIMH rechargeables. Those are now made that don't self discharge much (3% per year in storage is typical), they have more capacity than the non-rechargeables, and you should get a 100 or few uses out of them. At least more than 3 years with no leaks. So in remotes they last at least as long as one time use cells and so far none have leaked. Long term the cost is lower.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I've had the same issue. Batteries that still have charge enough to function, but have leaked. Why make such a thing?

What I've done which seems to be holding up so far, is switch all AAA, and AA batteries to NIMH rechargeables. Those are now made that don't self discharge much (3% per year in storage is typical), they have more capacity than the non-rechargeables, and you should get a 100 or few uses out of them. At least more than 3 years with no leaks. So in remotes they last at least as long as one time use cells and so far none have leaked. Long term the cost is lower.

I've got a bunch of the newer NiMH batts, but your remotes will have poor range (lower voltage), torches are less bright, DMMs will kick in the low batt symbol due to low terminal voltage etc.

Labjr

Major Contributor
That's the thing, they will, but it's a tortured path you have to take and they will try to blame the person.

I still have a letter in my battery tub from Energizer where a brand new Maglite (5 D cell) expensive torch was ruined by leaking batteries when it wasn't even flat. It was the torch I had next to my bed for, you know, 'intruders'. They wanted me to buy a new torch and send them my old one plus the receipt to get reimbursed. Screw that, I just never bought another Energizer. That letter has to be 25 years old now (I keep it to remind myself), so it cost them a fortune in sales. Duracell is no better. I've tried the 'german made' Varta alks in the last decade and they leaked like a sieve too.

I stick with dry Panasonics or Alkaline Industrial/Powerline now and I've never had a leak event in 20 years.

I use Fluke DMMs. I guarantee I would buy a new one and send them the old one if their batteries damaged my multimeters. Now I need to be sure I'm using Energizer or Duracell batteries. Because I don't know if Panasonic or any other manufacturer would pay for damage.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got a bunch of the newer NiMH batts, but your remotes will have poor range (lower voltage), torches are less bright, DMMs will kick in the low batt symbol due to low terminal voltage etc.
There is a difference, and one of my remotes is picky about low battery. The others however have been okay for more than a year. I'm sure there is a lesser range, but in my particular use nothing has been a problem.

As for lights my only flashlights (torches) with AA's were ruined by the leaky battery issue. My replacements use 18650 or 21700 series li-ion batteries. I do have some cheap LED D-cell lights which last, and last and last on one time use batteries.

I was afraid my Casio alarm clock that keeps synch with the USA time beacon on long wave might not work with the lower voltage. So far it is fine.

My DMM's use 9 volts. My old analog Simpson 260 uses D-cells and 4 AA's which I have not replaced recently. Will have to test it vs the DMM when/if I do seeing whether or not it effects operation.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I did have a Fluke non-contact AC detector that was damaged by the Energizer AAA batteries that were included with the device. The PCB traces ran right under the batteries.

wwenze

Major Contributor

My Ikea LADDA are leaked to hell and back

zuYnwN8.jpg

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
That's the issue of course. Old cells went flat and only started to leak much later. Modern alkalines leak whilst they are still functionally serviceable. How can anyone know unless you are removing the case/battery cover every time you use something, in order to keep an eye on the batteries!

I've just given up on batteries in anything I am not actively using. How many remotes have I had to rebuild? Probably hundreds. And simply do not buy Duracell or Energizer batteries- just don't do it.

Losing an Agilent or Fluke to festering batteries would be enough to make someone go absolutely postal.
When you eventually run out of your super batteries, buy Eneloop, not alkaline. Rechargeable, but unlike normal NiMh, they self-drain *very* slowly. None of mine have ever leaked either. The only issue is the voltage. Nominally 1.2, they are actually 1.4+, but if you have gear that *must* have 1.5, that won't be quite enough.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop>

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
The funny thing with fake counterfeit Nordost cables is, if reasonably well made, there is no measureable, visible or otherwise difference between the original and the fake. I once bought an used Sennheiser IE 800 IEM (that was before I was aquainted the FR and all that stuff!) and only after 2 month I suspected that it was fake, which was later confirmed and I was able get my money back. Bass was lacking, which finally raised my suspicion and let me research a bit and dive into this matter. In the case of a well made counterfeit Nordost cable, how would you ever be able to discover that it is fake?
That is exactly what I'm thinking. What should we look for, and does it matter anyway if they measure the same?
Edit: of course, it matters if you paid Nordost prices; I'm thinking of when you knowingly buy fakes, such as from AliExpress.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
Damm 1800 dollars for a cable that doesn't do anything ... how can these people hear differences?????

1800 dollars would help an orphan in Cambodia or else where i believe

It would be a shame of existence if these rich people don't donate but buy useless cables ...
I doubt that the targeted market is the average Joe. The targeted market is ultrawealthy people who buy a set in hundred thousands, if not millions. Makes no sense to have a $20 cable in otherwise $100k+ speakers and $20k+ DAC/amp etc.
Absolutely a waste of money on sound quality alone. But what they want is the luxury look, feel and convenience.
And while I get your point, people can spend their money the way they like, as long as it's not illegal (And I would say this is not unethical for the buyers ).

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely, I read ASR for amusement value but I don't buy into the measurements=sound signature camp at all. I've met too many folks saying red/white cables are all you need on forums but secretely they ran boutique stuff like Siltech in their own rigs and far from "TOTL Topping DAC's" :D
ASR only helps me skipping gear that is either fundamentally broken(mostly speakers), show good value like the recent iFi Phono or is needlessly overdone like the THX/Benchmark stuff but my final decision is always made by ear...and wallet, to some extent. My gear sounds fine on cheap Mogami cable but I like my AQ and Nordost more.

And no, I did not vote nor I am a dealer of any audio of sorts.
Now that I am back from a bit of travel.. Let me answer to this.

I don't buy into the measurements=sound signature camp
What does affect, in your opinion, the sound "signature" of a component? The eyes?

Some stay here, at ASR, and learn , some stay and ... don't. Fascinating.

Peace.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

1800 dollars would help an orphan in Cambodia or else where i believe

It would be a shame of existence if these rich people don't donate but buy useless cables ...

I tend not to go there .. You must realize that what the thriftiest of us, audiophile in wealthy nations spend for entertainment in a month may provide food for a family of four for the same period ... So a loaded comparison.. I'll drop it.
I doubt that the targeted market is the average Joe. The targeted market is ultrawealthy people who buy a set in hundred thousands, if not millions. Makes no sense to have a $20 cable in otherwise $100k+ speakers and $20k+ DAC/amp etc.
Absolutely a waste of money on sound quality alone. But what they want is the luxury look, feel and convenience.
And while I get your point, people can spend their money the way they like, as long as it's not illegal (And I would say this is not unethical for the buyers ).
Not really this is actually targeted at run-of-the-mill subjective audiophile, those who read TAS, Stereophile and similar rags or websites. Those whose Hi-Fi system (2-Channel mind you ) cost them about $20,000.oo These audiophiles will see this cable as a good investment since it opened the soundstage in ways they never thought possible .. SOme of then will actually save to purchase these BS cables... while dreaming of the day when they could afford the Oding GOld which cost , seriously , A search from Google:
$34,999.99

Odin Gold Power Cords are available with gold-plated HOLO:pLUG® US (Nema), EU (Schuko), AUS or UK to HOLO:pLUG® IEC-C15 or IEC-C19 terminations. The retail price is $34,999.99 for a 1.25 meter length; additional 1.25 meter increments are $9,500.00.

True the average audiophile is not dirt-poor or can't afford his audio system but he (most often, he) is not rich. Comfortable? Perhaps... Rich..? No! The majority are not.

Peace.
Again a WAG, I have no concrete number or studies on audiophiles and their income.

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
AliExpress!!! That is the "official" site for Chinese knock offs. As I was saying, they now use the exact same name on the knock offs. If you look at them you can't tell any difference at all. It is very common. The guys looking for counterfeit merchandise at the borders/ships find hundreds of billions of dollars worth every year. The kicker is this, they follow the product trail and the fakes are OFTEN sold by big name brand retail places that have no idea the stuff is fake. We were getting emails on which companies were selling fakes in the malls all across America. After further checking, they found out that the fake market from China was so big and overwhelming, they could not use the legal system to enforce the laws. In essence most manufacturers just give up (think Apple phones) and try to outsell out market the fakes. No Govt agency that can do anything about it. They try but they affect probably less than .05% of the incoming product. You never know if you have bought a fake or the real thing unless you buy from the manufacturer. Sad but true!

delta76

Major Contributor
AliExpress!!! That is the "official" site for Chinese knock offs. As I was saying, they now use the exact same name on the knock offs. If you look at them you can't tell any difference at all. It is very common. The guys looking for counterfeit merchandise at the borders/ships find hundreds of billions of dollars worth every year. The kicker is this, they follow the product trail and the fakes are OFTEN sold by big name brand retail places that have no idea the stuff is fake. We were getting emails on which companies were selling fakes in the malls all across America. After further checking, they found out that the fake market from China was so big and overwhelming, they could not use the legal system to enforce the laws. In essence most manufacturers just give up (think Apple phones) and try to outsell out market the fakes. No Govt agency that can do anything about it. They try but they affect probably less than .05% of the incoming product. You never know if you have bought a fake or the real thing unless you buy from the manufacturer. Sad but true!
I think the problem is that Chinese govt turned a blind on that, as with other things like IP/copyright. And what can other countries do about it? sanction them?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
What I don't get is the incredibly low prices of the Nordost fakes. You would think they would charge a lot more and make a lot more $. These are not like the $5 fake Rolexes which are a quartz movement in a joke Rolex case, obvious to anyone, not just a watch expert.

iv0

I have obviously been in the wrong professions my whole life - I spent years working as a biomedical engineer, then more years working with hardware and software systems used by exchanges like the Chicago Mercantile, Chicago Board of Trade, Eurex and COMEX. Clearly I could have made more money selling 75 ohm cables with BNC's on them. After all, my work was only saving lives and then later letting trillions of dollars flow through the world's economy. Why would I ever expect that I should be compensated as well as someone who peddles wire?
But did you work let people believe it makes difference to how they perceive sound?

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
God bless you for test like this… most of us do not have the knowledge to know the difference between $600 tires for our Mercedes and $3000 tires….but of course no one would ever charge $3000 for tires that are not better then the $600 ones WOULD THEY?….besides when was the last time you milked a snake for oil. You need really little fingers.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Characteristic impedance of a cable has no meaning when analog audio signals are carried by the cable.
You think so? Try sending 50 amps through them.

egellings

Major Contributor
50 amps is not an audio signal strength level commonly, if ever reached in average living room audio settings. That is never reached in small signal cables discussed here. Characteristic impedance of a cable is dependent largely on its geometry and to a lesser extent on the materials used in it. The current the cable carries would not affect that unless the cable is burned up doing so.

In short. characteristic impedance is NOT a function of current carried in a cable. It's based on the cable's geometry. I know this as an EE who worked with cables in high power RF settings.

Top Bottom