• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NORDOST TYR 2 Review (Coax Cable)

Rate this audio cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 279 93.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 3.3%

• Total voters

DanielT

Major Contributor
It is a competent cable, very much like Rolex is a competent wristwatch.
But the small difference is that with a Rolex you may increase the chance of attracting women. With a NORDOST TYR 2 around your neck when you are in the pub, it can have the opposite effect.;)

I also think that: I use NORDOST TYR 2, do you want me to show you them at my house is not a particularly effective pick up line.:)

Leporello

But the small difference is that with a Rolex you may increase the chance of attracting women. With a NORDOST TYR 2 around your neck when you are in the pub, it can have the opposite effect.;)

I also think that: I use NORDOST TYR 2, do you want me to show you them at my house is not a particularly effective pick up line.:)
That indeed is the problem of the high end audio industry trying to transform itself into luxury industry.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Cars-N-Cans

Just to show how sensitive this test is, let's look at an RG58 50 ohm cable at 2 meters:
View attachment 216739

As you see in the orange line, now we have a bunch of jitter sidebands due to nature of J-test signal (it has a 250 Hz bit toggle). So the test is definitely revealing. It is just that my reasonable video cable is as good as Nordost Tyr2. But you could do worse with as is the case with RG58.
Out of curiosity is that due to the impedance mismatch of using the 50Ω cable vs. 75Ω? Or just from using crummy cable? I'm assuming the impedance was set accordingly and its due to the inexpensive cable rather than the reflections. If so its interesting it can make a noticeable difference. Not real familiar with the jitter test, though, so forgive me if I missed something...

Katji

Major Contributor

Good cost/benefit analysis. So therefore better to put that money towards buying luxury jewellery.
In the case of the Chord upsampler, the money would pay for flights and 10 days luxury resort in Thailand + massages.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Out of curiosity is that due to the impedance mismatch of using the 50Ω cable vs. 75Ω?
Same goes for termination (BNC vs. RCA). While not defined for RCA, it would be 50 or 75 Ohm for BNC. Though Canare provides RCA plugs with 75 Ohm impedance if I remember correctly.

The Nordost might have an edge just because of this.

Also, RG58 is 50 Ohms while RG59 is the proper 75 Ohms for spdif (as is RG6).

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But did you look at the eye pattern? ;)
eyes-lurking.gif

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The main claim here is reduction of jitter so let's focus on that.
Actually, they are very careful not to make such claims:
Tyr 2 S/PDIF and AES/EBU digital leads are produced using cutting-edge technology, adherence to standards, and precision in workmanship. This extra attention given to our cables during the production phase guarantees the tight tolerance of characteristic impedance necessary to ensure greater musical detail, virtually unimpeded by timing errors or destructive jitter

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a competent cable, very much like Rolex is a competent wristwatch.
I'm pretty sure a Rolex has a lot more jitter than this thing. As time-keeping devices, Rolexes are objectively quite bad, with +/-2 seconds a day, it's shit compared to a simple $ 20 Casio. In that case, I guess you'll be much better off with the M-Scaler, it has ****** jitter, too :facepalm:

uwotm8

Well that cable just didn't burn-in properly:p
However, there's definitely a difference between analog interconnects for me.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
As time-keeping devices, Rolexes are objectively quite bad, with +/-2 seconds a day

Well, mine has been a stable +12-15 seconds a month for about 25 years now (only watch I own), so i don't know about calling that objectively bad. A non certified quartz can be @1 sec/day. :cool:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Leporello

I'm pretty sure a Rolex has a lot more jitter than this thing. As time-keeping devices, Rolexes are objectively quite bad, with +/-2 seconds a day, it's shit compared to a simple $ 20 Casio. In that case, I guess you'll be much better off with the M-Scaler, it has ****** jitter, too :facepalm:
Sure, but as an analog device Rolex has infinite resolution. ;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

AndreaT

This must have been the cable that came with the Chord…an appropriate waste of money coherent with the Chord…however it does not smear the signal as the Chord does…so it must be a better “value”…

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Well, mine has been a stable +12-15 seconds a month for about 25 years now (only watch I own), so i don't know about calling that objectively bad. A non certified quartz can be @1 sec/day.

My Citizen (Crystron) wall clock is +/-5 seconds a month or less and it's nearly 40 years old. Not a 'Mega' (MHz) crystal XO either. One 'C' size battery lasts nearly 3 years. I think she's just a very tight tolerance 32768Hz Xtal.

Top Bottom