• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NORD ONE HYPEX SE NC1200 For Boenicke W11s

1200W

A few months ago I was thinking of upgrading my current amp Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo to MKII (Revision D) but now I'm considering NC1200 as I'm sure my speakers need that extra power, especially as I do like to play quite loud at times.

I've read the review of the NC1200 on this website and from what I can make out it's a very good amplifier.

I currently have the bass level on the W11s at +1 but does the W11 only go into 2ohms when +2 is used (perhaps someone on here know the answer? I've emailed Boenicke but not had a reply yet.)?
The only difference between the two amps is the 1200 watts produced at 2ohms, but if my speakers will not be going into 2ohms will it be a waste of time getting the NC1200?
If the speakers dip to say 3ohms, will this extra power of 1200 watts make a difference? Will I be using it?

I can afford to get the 'Signature' but do I really need all those extras? Any thoughts on this? Will getting the cheaper model still perform very well?

I'm also not sure about which Op Amp to choose.

At the moment I have the Sonic Imagery 994 installed.

I have this mains power cable connected to my Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo. I'm wondering if it will be alright for the NC1200?

https://www.markgrantcables.co.uk/u...p-25-dual-screened-power-cable-silver-plated/

I don't understand how amplifiers/speakers operate so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. Indeed the main difference from NC1200 to NC500 is its power in 2 ohms, or in other words, a lot of current capability. Specially worth for low impedance speakers like yours (and mine).
I am just holding my purchase because right now Bruno is working in high power modules for Purifi. No release date given, but when it is available, should be a no brainer purchase for me and possibly for you too.

OP

1200W

Welcome to ASR. Indeed the main difference from NC1200 to NC500 is its power in 2 ohms, or in other words, a lot of current capability. Specially worth for low impedance speakers like yours (and mine).
I am just holding my purchase because right now Bruno is working in high power modules for Purifi. No release date given, but when it is available, should be a no brainer purchase for me and possibly for you too.
Your Thiel CS3.7 speakers have a higher sensitivity than mine.
Do you find that your speakers could do with a more powerful amplifier?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your Thiel CS3.7 speakers have a higher sensitivity than mine.
Do you find that your speakers could do with a more powerful amplifier?
I don't listen to loud volume much, but when I do, I like the piece of mind of having very high reserves of power.

OP

1200W

I've already watched that video.
Very enjoyable, with surprising results.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't listen to loud volume much, but when I do, I like the piece of mind of having very high reserves of power.

I've become a big fan of having reserves of power. Especially after understanding more about dynamic peaks. The only downside is that I'm already burning voice coils on my driver's but I am sure I will figure out the limits soon.

OP

1200W

I've become a big fan of having reserves of power. Especially after understanding more about dynamic peaks. The only downside is that I'm already burning voice coils on my driver's but I am sure I will figure out the limits soon.
I don't understand hardly anything on how amplifiers work and how they interact with Speakers.
My speakers (from what I've been told) only go down to 2ohms if I use the highest setting on the back of each speaker, which I'm not using.
The specs for the two amps I've mentioned above are:

Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo MKII (Revision D)
550W 2ohm
700W 4ohm
400W 8ohm

NORD ONE HYPEX SE NC1200 with specs of:
1200W 2ohm
700W 4ohm
400W 8ohm

Are you saying I will hear a difference with the 1200W at 2ohms even though my speakers won't be going down to 2ohms?

Trdat

Forum Donor
I don't understand hardly anything on how amplifiers work and how they interact with Speakers.
My speakers (from what I've been told) only go down to 2ohms if I use the highest setting on the back of each speaker, which I'm not using.
The specs for the two amps I've mentioned above are:

Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo MKII (Revision D)
550W 2ohm
700W 4ohm
400W 8ohm

NORD ONE HYPEX SE NC1200 with specs of:
1200W 2ohm
700W 4ohm
400W 8ohm

Are you saying I will hear a difference with the 1200W at 2ohms even though my speakers won't be going down to 2ohms?

You need an expert to chime in to tell us if dynamic peaks are audible between different powered ampfliers. In my experience the more power does give you beter impact but its not night and day its a subtle difference.

You mention above that your speakers only go down to 2 ohms and then you say that your speaker won't be going down to 2ohms you need to clarify that, can you also clarify what you mean by setting on the back of speakers? And while your at it tell us what speakers you have it should help us in understanding if there "out of the ordinary" speakers or not.

Some speakers can play down to 2 ohms and the Hypex amps can easily handle speakers that creep down to those lower level of ohms. Regarding how much power you need that low, techncally it depends on what frequency range the speaker hits at two ohms, the lower the range the more power you need, the high frequencies say above 400hz probably wont need as much power but again use a calculator to get an idea of how much power you do need.

Also throw up the impedance curve of your speaker and some others will chime in and give you an idea.

https://www.crownaudio.com/en-US/tools/calculators

Without looking at your impedance curve of your speaker your probably going to need most of the power around 8 ohms unless it is a 4 ohm speaker.

There are people who advocate that too much power is not needed but that bunch seem to be significatnly less than who advocate more power. From my experience always go with more power but just check if you need that power at 2ohms you might not even need it at all.

OP

1200W

https://boenicke-audio.ch/products/loudspeakers/w11/

My speakers are Boenicke W11s.
Each speaker has a autoformer on the rear with adjustable bass by increments of 2.5 dB (total range of 10 dB).
If the highest setting is used the speaker will dip to 2ohms. I'm not using the highest setting so my speakers won't dip to 2 ohms.

Boenicke Audio W11’s sensitivity and nominal impedance are 89dB (1W/1m) and 6Ω respectively, whereas the +2 mode will drop the latter to 2Ω below 120Hz.

Trdat

Forum Donor
https://boenicke-audio.ch/products/loudspeakers/w11/

My speakers are Boenicke W11s.
Each speaker has a autoformer on the rear with adjustable bass by increments of 2.5 dB (total range of 10 dB).
If the highest setting is used the speaker will dip to 2ohms. I'm not using the highest setting so my speakers won't dip to 2 ohms.

Boenicke Audio W11’s sensitivity and nominal impedance are 89dB (1W/1m) and 6Ω respectively, whereas the +2 mode will drop the latter to 2Ω below 120Hz.

If I read right there seems to be a significant price difference between the two amps hence why if your not dipping to 2 ohm then you don't really need it. I also couldn't find an impedance graph, which would help us determine where most of the power is at and how far to 4 or 3 ohms it reaches on the setting you are currently using.

Although my recomendation is usually always go with more power in this case because the power of the amp is the same for both 8ohm and 4 ohm then essentially there is no difference that matters to your speakers and the NC500 should do. And even if it did drop close to 3 ohms 550 watts is decent. But the website doesn't mention the crossover points but I am guessing the sub woofer is what drops to 2 ohm and is crossed somewhere around the 120hz. Without the specific specs on the subwoofer driver and the sensitivity in that region and what ohms most of that frequency range is at, its hard to make a concerted desicion on if the extra power at the 2ohm is necessary, that is if you ever use the setting that will make it drop to 2 ohm.

You could ask for the information from the company or if you have a DATs V3 you could take impedance measurements at each setting and then we can understand better.

Top Bottom