• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nord Acoustics vs Apollon

penquin

Hey all.

Decided to get the Hypex NCore NC502MP for my setup and am currently split between Nord and Apollon.

Ultimately, Im trying to see if the Apollon €995 ($1105) shipped is worth the cost over the Nord at £660 ($841) shipped.

Apollon NCMP700 vs Nord One MP NC50

They both seem to be using the same module so it seems to come down to quality of build and aesthetics, right?

Wanted to get some input before I pulled the trigger.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In a word, yes. I would also include the March Audio P502 and audiophonics HPA-s500nc in the mix.

OP
P

penquin

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, Im using a Master/Slave power adapter and I heard the March Audio has a touch button so it wouldn't work with it.

I noticed you have the F208s! How do you like it with the NAD M22v2?

I was actually considering that for myself but its a bit over budget used. :(

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Feanor

Forum Donor
Consider VTV Amplifier's offering ... https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-stereo-hypex-nc502mp-ncore-amplifier-500wx2/, especially if in North America. US$699: do the math. ;)

I'm extremely satisfied with my NC252MP from VTV. I have to allow that I live pretty much just across the border from VTV's Ohio location which meant I got my unit in days, not weeks.

VTV is such a bargain that I've decided to upgrade to their Purfi 1ET400A offering, US$979 -- still cheaper than Apollon's NC502MP versions. I'll let you know how it turns out.

OP
P

penquin

I was definitely considering the VTVs for the price point but decided against it due to the build quality issues posted on the forums.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair their build of NC502MP looks OK to me.

IMG_8255-scaled.jpg

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have good experience of a Nord product and their service. Colin North is approachable and helpful and dealt professionally and well with a problem that I had caused.

I've had the amp for nearly two years now and am happy with the choice I made.

There are three amp reviews of Nord products to give you an idea of things:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

Select 'Brand', untick 'All' and find and tick 'Nord'. There don't seem to be any Apollon amp reviews.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, Im using a Master/Slave power adapter and I heard the March Audio has a touch button so it wouldn't work with it.

I noticed you have the F208s! How do you like it with the NAD M22v2?

I was actually considering that for myself but its a bit over budget used. :(

It works well and has plenty of power. It also lets me not have to get up and turn it on and off which I like.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

beantownT

Hi all
anyone done AB test of Apollon and Nord's NC1200 stereo amps? Both have similar specs on paper so i guess it'll come down to implementation and price. There's not a lot of research on Apollon however the Nord's NC1200 has great measurements on Audioscience review.

help much appreciated

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all
anyone done AB test of Apollon and Nord's NC1200 stereo amps? Both have similar specs on paper so i guess it'll come down to implementation and price.
What audible differences would you expect? Both are using same PSU, same amp modules, and same Op amps options... They will sound 1000% the same.

About internal build/assembly quality : If you ask me, Apollon all day.

beantownT

What audible differences would you expect? Both are using same PSU, same amp modules, and same Op amps options... They will sound 1000% the same.

About internal build/assembly quality : If you ask me, Apollon all day.
fair point.

Then i digress to a separate question Purifi vs NC1200 - what difference tonally, sound signature can you expect?

JSmith

Master Contributor
sound signature
Transparent amplifiers generally don't have a "sound signature"... that is the realm of "coloured" amps some of which are effects boxes that can't be altered, all laden with unwanted distortion to the signal IMO.

JSmith

Top Bottom