• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

noobie question :)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you feed the ECM8000 into a laptop and, if so, how do you do that? I have one with an XLR out. Also, do you know how much changed with the calibration? Mine isn't and I don't have a serial number.
I use a Lexicon Ionix U22 interface that provides the 48v phantom power and gain. That feeds a laptop with either REW or ARTA or whatever other measuring software I might need. I also use the interface for recording.

As to calibration, I did that myself against a calibrated Earthworks microphone, and derived the curve which REW or ARTA use. Somewhat tedious to do but I thought necessary for my application which was to equalise my speakers pseudo-anechoically to +-1dB. The mic is OK uncalibrated for checking in-room responses as calibration errors of a couple of dBs are of little consequence, but those are of the same order as I was trying to correct so thought I'd do it properly, and learn something at the same time.

S

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The vertical axis is in dB SPL. What you're seeing is the self-noise of the UMIK-1 in the RTA window of REW with nothing playing (using a 48kHz sampling rate). USB packet noise typically results in an 8kHz spike. Everything else belongs to the UMIK-1. It has a lot of circuitry built into its housing so that spectrum is to be expected.

Here's my UMIK-1 in my echoic chamber:

1573433286394.png

18hz - Air conditioning
60-300 - pc fans, refrigerator, floor fan on a variac about 20 feet away
300-1000 - ambient
1000Hz+ spikes - electronic in the UMIK1 or its connections or the REW just sees it.

None of this is very important when using it to measure in-room speaker output, usually at 80 or more dB.

If the spikes bug you with a 1000Hz tone being measured, use 957Hz or some other choice so the harmonics don't overlap multiples of 1kHz

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How can SPL be negative?

0dB SPL is a reference level which is not the absence of sound, but close to the lower limit of you hearing anything under perfect conditions.

Negative decibels represent a fraction of that sound level, Positive decibels a multiple of it.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
0dB SPL is a reference level which is not the absence of sound, but close to the lower limit of you hearing anything under perfect conditions.

Negative decibels represent a fraction of that sound level, Positive decibels a multiple of it.
That makes a lot of sense. It's almost like celcius then in that the 0/100 are set at sort of commonsense useful levels.

Top Bottom