• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Noob question

paQ

Hello. I am about to receive a pair Genelec 8030c and was looking at the possibility of adding a subwoofer if necessary, but I have a newbie question. In the specifications of the Kali WS-12 there are two measurements:

- Frequency range 30 Hz - 160 Hz (+/- 3 dB)

- Frequency response 23 Hz - 160 Hz (-10 dB)

Does this mean that as long as I stay within 10 db of the subwoofer's maximum SPL value I will get 23 Hz?

Is there a problem with the subwoofer having a max SPL. of 123 db and the speakers 110 db?

Will I need to set the gain setting to -12 db to get closer to the max SPL of the Genelecs?

Screenshot_3.png

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Does this mean that as long as I stay within 10 db of the subwoofer's maximum SPL value I will get 23 Hz?
No. Those numbers describe the subwoofer's stock frequency response.
It means that whatever volume you set the sub to, 23Hz will be played 10dB quieter than, say, 80Hz.
You really should be using EQ though, in which case those numbers become rather useless as you'll be limited not by frequency but by distortion (or gain).

Is there a problem with the subwoofer having a max SPL. of 123 db and the speakers 110 db?
No.

Will I need to set the gain setting to -12 db to get closer to the max SPL of the Genelecs?
Best to measure the in-room frequency response and adjust levels based on that. Can be done with just an iPhone.

Last edited:
Reactions: paQ

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I have nothing against very-low frequencies but 23Hz is rarely "necessary". The lowest note on a standard-tuned bass guitar is about 40Hz and most "pro" subwoofers used for live music and in clubs are tuned to go down to around 40Hz. Pro setups are (usually) optimized this way because to go lower with flat response requires more power and more or bigger woofers and it gets inefficient and impractical to fill a large space with good bass. And by tuning the woofer to go lower, it's also usually less-efficient at 40Hz, etc.

Plus, your hearing drops-off as you go lower, so that means even more power and even bigger woofers. 40Hz is low-enough for bass you can feel in your body (if it's loud enough).

Sometimes a kick-drum might go lower, and explosions in movies can go lower, but with "regular music" there is usually little or nothing below 40Hz.

There are lots of home setups that down to 20Hz, or so. It's easier in the smaller space... Easier, but not cheap or easy...

Reactions: paQ
OP
paQ

paQ

Thanks for the answers. Maybe in the end I will opt for the Genelec 7040A sub since my room is not very large (5x3m) and with 30hz and an SPL of around 100db it will be enough for me. My listening position will be at a desk, 1m away.

Top Bottom