• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Noob question about Asio, WASAPI Exclusive and Parametric EQ.....

Neutronman

Maybe this is a stupid question. Probably is. :)

I am currently listening to music on my PC with Topping DX3Pro+ and a set of HiFiman 400SE's which I have a Parametric EQ setting applied to via Equalizer and Peace.
Music sources are Flac's on my PC played with Music Bee, Spotify and Amazon Music.
Parametric EQ settings work fine with Spotify, Amazon Music and any other source like Netflix and Games.

However Parametric EQ settings don't work with Music Bee when I choose WASAPI Exclusive or ASIO. I assume these modes are bypassing all EQ? Can someone confirm that I can only EQ my speakers and Headphones with an app like Music Bee when I choose WASAPI Shared only!! If this is the case then WASAPI Exclusive and ASIO kind of defeat the purpose of trying to use EQ to improve sound. Or am I missing something here???

TIA.

JeffGB

EqualizerAPO uses the windows audio stack. When you use WASAPI Exclusive, it bypasses that part of Windows, so the equalizer won't work. I considered the same thing in my system and found a simple solution is JRiver media player. JRiver has it's own equalizer built in that doesn't rely on the Windows audio stack. It is possible to use WASAPI Exclusive while using it's equalizer. My DAC now displays the correct Sampling frequency when the music changes. I still use EqualizerAPO and Peace for Youtube etc.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If this is the case then WASAPI Exclusive and ASIO kind of defeat the purpose of trying to use EQ to improve sound.
APO is the issue because it works on regular Windows audio. Other programs like Roon are able to do WASAPI/ASIO with EQ and filters.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
EqualizerAPO uses the windows audio stack. When you use WASAPI Exclusive, it bypasses that part of Windows, so the equalizer won't work. I considered the same thing in my system and found a simple solution is JRiver media player. JRiver has it's own equalizer built in that doesn't rely on the Windows audio stack. It is possible to use WASAPI Exclusive while using it's equalizer. My DAC now displays the correct Sampling frequency when the music changes. I still use EqualizerAPO and Peace for Youtube etc.
JRiver can also be installed as a wdm audio driver. I have never tried it, but it looks interesting and could solve some problems.
JRiver WDM

OP
N

Neutronman

Interesting information. Thanks Guys.

So my next question is if I just stick to my current setup and listen to my Flac's using Music Bee and WASAPI (shared) with my Parametric EQ working via Peace and Equalizer APO am I losing sound quality versus finding a different solution that allows me to use EQ with Asio or WASAPI Exclusive, eg Roon or JRiver?????

Top Bottom