• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Non-Vented" IEMs? Is this a thing?

Dazerdoreal

I just saw a review about the "Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite" (feel free to tell me how to make this video smaller):

This is not about this particular IEM, but the reviewer said whats special about it is that it is not "vented", so it seals/isolates better but the pressure can become uncomfortable for the ears. Most IEMs contain a little hole somewhere in their shells (can confirm) but this doesnt. I also found out that the only drivers which do not need to be "vented" are balanced armature drivers, so this is only an option for BA-only setups.

Another "non-vented" IEM named was the Moondrop S8.

This caught my interest because I isolation is important to me when it comes to IEMs. How much of a difference in terms of isolation and comfort does this make and can you name me some more "non-vented" IEMs?

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
I know of Moondrop Quarks and KZ Ling Long lacking a front vent, and the pressure build up can be felt and it makes the FR inconsistent, it's even measurable on a coupler.
Screenshot_20230310-161206.png

unpluggged

Most IEMs contain a little hole somewhere in their shells (can confirm) but this doesnt
IEMs with vents are mainly those with dynamic drivers inside (bot not all of them, obviously). Virtually all BA IEMs are sealed.

jae

Major Contributor
There is less need for seal if DD is involved, since that will usually be taking over the LF duties anyway and more able to compensate for loss of gain via leakage.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I also found out that the only drivers which do not need to be "vented" are balanced armature drivers, so this is only an option for BA-only setups.

The NiceHCK X49 is a balanced armature IEM and vented at the rear.
Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 10.35.04.png

This is the effect blocking the rear vent has for these IEMs (measured on a clone coupler from Aliexpress, for now just look at the relative difference) :
X49 blocked vent.jpg

To my knowledge Etymotic's IEMs are not vented, whether they use a dynamic or a balance armature driver. Am I mistaken ?

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am planning on getting this IEM (hopefully this week) so I will see what effect no vent has on these, I am hoping for a good seal (though I do realise that the sub-bass 'punch' may not be as good as IEM which has DD for their bass). I am personally not that interested in 'too much bass' but of course that is very subjective :D

isostasy

On DDs, I remember some cheap earphones I had in the past which were single DD but unvented so you heard a horrible pop as you pushed them in your ear and the membrane was pushed back by the pressure, which could only be relieved by wiggling the silicone tip. I think this was a cheap Brainwavz earphone and maybe others I can't remember.

I think @MayaTlab is correct that not even the DD models in Etymotic's lineup have vents, though how they achieve this without resulting in the above flexing membrane phenomenon I don't know. I can't see vents anywhere on my ER2XR.

If it's ultimate isolation you're after, Etymotic is your best bet. We may not all agree on the tuning, but I'm yet to see evidence of any other IEM with better noise attenuation.

GaryH

Major Contributor
I also found out that the only drivers which do not need to be "vented" are balanced armature drivers, so this is only an option for BA-only setups.
Plenty of dynamic driver IEMs don't have a front volume vent (e.g. Sony MH755/MH750/MH1), which is what matters for near-perfect seal (creating impressive tactile sub-bass impact and extension down to ~0 Hz impossible with front venting), and can cause increased static pressure, but as stated in the video this pressure can easily be ameliorated by raising your ear after inserting the IEM to temporarily break the seal and eqaulize to outside air pressure, so talk of discomfort and inconsistent FR is neutered, and talk of rear-volume vents is irrelevant to these issues (unless of course the rear volume is connected to the front volume via an internal tube, and so the vent effectively acts as both a front and rear volume vent).

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
I'm glad personally that plenty of fully vented IEMs perform well in the audible sub bass. The built up pressure of non vented IEMs makes it challenging to determine sound from measurements.

OP
D

Dazerdoreal

I already use the ER4XR for travelling by train. The isolation is indeed great; the comfort is fair but not optimal. It is also annoying to get a good seal sometimes. Thats why I thought about getting an IEM which comes close to its isolation but is more practical / comfortable. I also own a 7hz Salnotes Zero; its isolation is not bad, too, but I'd hope for more as its shell is made of plastic.

It is nothing I urgently need though. Maybe I just should resist my drive to consume stuff. :D

You are correct that the ER4XR is not vented. I was not sure if it the feeling is comparable to other non-vented IEMs because of its very different shape and fit. If it is similar I know that I likely could deal with (other) non-vented IEMs. This is good news.

markanini

Major Contributor
I discovered this resource for predicting venting via isolation data: https://achoreviews.squig.link/isol...rget,Sony_MH755,Moondrop_Quarks,Moondrop_Aria

BTW if someone could provide a coherent argument for non-vented IEMs being a net positive, outside of isolation, I'd love to hear it. AFAIK It's not requisite for bass performance per measurements of a multitude of fully vented IEMs, and comes with possible issues of FR inconsistency and discomfort due to pressurization. Any vented IEM can be turned into a non-vented one by covering up venting holes with tape. A non-vented IEM OTOH has to be irreversibly modified to add a vent.

isostasy

I discovered this resource for predicting venting via isolation data: https://achoreviews.squig.link/isol...rget,Sony_MH755,Moondrop_Quarks,Moondrop_Aria

BTW if someone could provide a coherent argument for non-vented IEMs being a net positive, outside of isolation, I'd love to hear it. AFAIK It's not requisite for bass performance per measurements of a multitude of fully vented IEMs, and comes with possible issues of FR inconsistency and discomfort due to pressurization. Any vented IEM can be turned into a non-vented one by covering up venting holes with tape. A non-vented IEM OTOH has to be irreversibly modified to add a vent.
I've seen this data before but some of the measurements seem odd. e.g. the blessing 2 dusk passively boosts sound below 200Hz according do this.

Top Bottom