• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Non-in-ear earbuds, wireless

OP
thefsb

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks like you can use KCS75 clips with KCS35 Wireless

1593877132523.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, and they're going to fall out.

An ear clip like this might work but I'd like to find something wireless if I can. It's that much easier to grab with the dog leash and keys compared to getting rigged up so the cable can't snag on anything. And then the phone loses mobility. It's all doable. I know because I used a Sony Walkman Sports for years and in many adventures.

View attachment 71886

I could never get on with those 90 degree insert 'phones. Oh, apparently all the iphone bud style ones stay put far better with little foam covers - get them ten a penny from ebay etc. I can vouch for that for older circle shaped iphone buds, not the newfangled ones.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bluetooth wireless (dog walking in the city is complicated enough)
How do you cope walking with ear buds in the city?
I tried it once and realised the extent to which I rely on my hearing to sense the surroundings, it scared me.
I see loads of people doing it how do you and they avoid being run over?

Last edited:
OP
thefsb

thefsb

How do you cope walking with ear buds in the city?
I tied it once and realised the extent to which I rely on my hearing to sense the surroundings, it scared me.
I see loads of people doing it how do you and they avoid being run over?
Well, that's why I have such weird specific requirements. I have no trouble walking and having a conversation with a companion. So the problem is not with information processing. But if my ears are plugged or sealed into big closed cans then I get very uncomfortable. However, small on-ear phones like Koss Porta Pro do not cause a problem. Old-type earbuds of the type shown in the diagram in my OP are ok too.

So that's the basic requirements to which I add: don't fall out if I run, headband (if any) can go around the back but not over the top because hats, BT wireless for convenience.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, that's why I have such weird specific requirements. I have no trouble walking and having a conversation with a companion. So the problem is not with information processing. But if my ears are plugged or sealed into big closed cans then I get very uncomfortable. However, small on-ear phones like Koss Porta Pro do not cause a problem. Old-type earbuds of the type shown in the diagram in my OP are ok too.

So that's the basic requirements to which I add: don't fall out if I run, headband (if any) can go around the back but not over the top because hats, BT wireless for convenience.
Those bone conduction ones sound suitable for walking to me, like you I would never listen to music as background so podcasts and, here, BBC Radio 4 would be the thing and the bone conduction ones may be the safest - I might get some myself.
Thanks for posting the question!

OP
thefsb

thefsb

Those bone conduction ones sound suitable for walking to me, like you I would never listen to music as background so podcasts and, here, BBC Radio 4 would be the thing and the bone conduction ones may be the safest - I might get some myself.
Yeah, I'm going to try them too. If I don't like them, no big deal, on to the next idea.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

If it's just for audiobooks and podcasts, have you considered bone conduction headphones?

https://www.soundguys.com/bone-conduction-headphones-20580/

Thanks for the suggestion. I got Aftershokz Air. They work well and sound good for podcasts and audio books. I used it for a phone call too and that worked. They are wonderfully light and comfortable. The only aspect of design I'd criticize is that if I want rest my head against something, a cushion, say, then the head band is in the way. But this isn't an important use case so it's no big deal.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

I just tested a podcast on my bone conduction headphone (AfterShokz Trekz Air btw). I am sitting here on my couch and I can hear the guy very clearly, plus I can still easily speak to my girlfriend sitting beside me. I would never recomend those phones for music, but for podcast they seam ideal. if you go this way just don't expect a perfect phone. also as I said, in heavy traffic noise it wont work this nice without putting plugs into your ear
It's been a while but soon after your post here i got AfterShokz Air and I've been using it regularly since. it works very well. it meets my needs and is a good design that is easy to live with. comfortable . Good battery life.

Only downside is that it looks weird and people don't know eat it is. more their problem than mine

Thanks for the suggestion

dasdoing

Major Contributor
It's been a while but soon after your post here i got AfterShokz Air and I've been using it regularly since. it works very well. it meets my needs and is a good design that is easy to live with. comfortable . Good battery life.

Only downside is that it looks weird and people don't know eat it is. more their problem than mine

Thanks for the suggestion

good to hear.

personaly, after a year or so in the drawer, I got usage for them. I use them for cycling, manly to tell me my heart rate. very convinient, and I still hear all the traffic (safety)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Yeah. Koss is the way to go I think. I got these for cycling:

20210627_083736.jpg

Priorities are hearing cars and being able to wear a helmet. KSC25 have better ear thingies, but KSC35 are better on the ears than they look and feel in the hands. Lighter too. And yeah, they are priced so you can give them away after trying if they don't work for you.

Cool to know parts can swap.

auralrationalism

Per OP, I've been struggling to find bluetooth headphones that won't fall out, yet won't kill me because I don't hear a car coming.

I've been walking a long, arduous google\amazon\ebay shaped desert for as long as I can remember. Finally an oasis shimmering in the distance:
Poly Backbeat Fit 2100 - https://www.poly.com/gb/en/support/product/backbeat-fit-2100
or if you don't need a neckband to avoid losing:
Plantronics Backbeat Fit 3150 - https://www.poly.com/gb/en/support/product/backbeat-fit-3150
Poly is the new name of Plantronics, so a good brand.

I haven't bought these yet, but will buy the 2100. Some reviews on Amazon aren't entirely complementary, and they cost $50 - $100, but maybe if we pile into these, the manufacturers will recognise the demand for this design, and we won't always have to pay this much and have a better choice.

Top Bottom