• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Non dynamic driver tech

Blujackaal

I've always been impressed with them more than dynamic drivers. Easier to get very high ADSR, transient responce & more. Seem a lot of misinfomation about them in many audiophile groups?

Like how the Etymotic ER4 can't do bass despite, Being hitting very deep while sounding flat. With Bass EQ at +4 dB sounds better than any multi ba/hybrid i had. Same with planar/Estat a reviewer i used to see on Reddit would rate non dynamic stuff lower tiers despite having better performance than say a HD6XX?.

Sure DD stuff can give a fight(ER2SE, some totl stuff) but there more choices in the $300 area wither new or used.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
With 'non dynamic' I suppose you mean pistonic drivers that use an actual round voicecoil with a membrane attached to it.

I have heard excellent 'dynamic', orthodynamic as well as magneto & electrostatic planar headphones and poor ones.
I think it is more of an implementation and preference thingy.

I don't like shoving things in my ear canal so have no ideas about IEM's though.
Don't do reddit so no idea what folks there say or claim nor do I care. There is misinformation everywhere. Even my information is often said to be misinformation yet it is not to me :).

OP
B

Blujackaal

With 'non dynamic' I suppose you mean pistonic drivers that use an actual round voicecoil with a membrane attached to it.

I have heard excellent 'dynamic', orthodynamic as well as magneto & electrostatic planar headphones and poor ones.
I think it is more of an implementation and preference thingy.

I don't like shoving things in my ear canal so have no ideas about IEM's though.
Don't do reddit so no idea what folks there say or claim nor do I care. There is misinformation everywhere. Even my information is often said to be misinformation yet it is not to me :).

It common for planar or BA headphones, To be seen as gimped by there very fast decay in the bass. With the ER4S having no boosted bass it decays into how it's 5mm driver can't do bass. Despite handling +6db fine or the 3/4XR being a thing?.

Which makes it so awkward when they praise a planar for decay & being able boost the bass by EQ??. So many impressions on those two are tainted by that.

Top Bottom